PDA

View Full Version : Im a New Member.

Elver
12-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Hello. I joined this site because i had few question that i want to ask. But mainly just to say a few things. I got an 87 Accord with a fuel injected motor. Im so happy with it i purchased it as my daily runner and to give my Legend Coupe a brake. The accord is a manual and it runs so good. Im so happy with it.:tongue: unfortunately i think i made the biggest sins of car buying. A car with alot of miles how about 300,000. Anyways I will post pictures of the car and if anyone ever gets a Legend I welcome them to Acura-Legend.com im also plainning on making the accord look even better. Today I went to my local junk yard and got some things here and there. (Not that it needed them)

84Accord
12-02-2008, 04:05 PM
300,000 miles isnt so bad as long as the car was taken care of. my accord has 256,000 miles and still runs great. and welcome to the site!

2oodoor
12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
yep, welcome, and you made no mistake as long as you can do basic simple repairs. My mileages are 306K and 248K , neither of them use (d) oil, and run great. Oil leaks, now that is a different story, I had a few and fixed them, usually they are the same things on these motors. These are the lore and legendary million mile motors by Honda ;) There are members here with over 300 K miles, that run the dog snot out of them and have no runs drips or errors :tongue:
(d) 306K being replaced with 50K engine although there was nothing at all wrong with the other motor, just upgrading the motor with dohc model.

Elver
12-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I have a question... The only issue with my car is that sometimes when my lights are on there is a burning smell and even sometimes a little smoke of burning plastic. The smoke/smell is coming from the steering column right behind the steering wheel. Its very easy to get to. I already opened up the steering covers and noticed nothing wrong or burnt. I turned on the lights and dint notice any smoke at the time. so my question is.
Is this a common problem?
I have a second question and im really sorry for this i know its annoying but i think its better than making a new thread.
There are this decent looking clear corners for the Accord.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250332501027
I know that if i put these on my accord they wont look good because the rest of the trim is grey/smoked. Can I paint over this smoked oem part to the same color of the car? To give it a prelude look? has anyone does this?
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/elverjimenez/Pictures.jpg

codyJDM
12-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I have a question... The only issue with my car is that sometimes when my lights are on there is a burning smell and even sometimes a little smoke of burning plastic. The smoke/smell is coming from the steering column right behind the steering wheel. Its very easy to get to. I already opened up the steering covers and noticed nothing wrong or burnt. I turned on the lights and dint notice any smoke at the time. so my question is.
Is this a common problem?
I have a second question and im really sorry for this i know its annoying but i think its better than making a new thread.
There are this decent looking clear corners for the Accord.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250332501027
I know that if i put these on my accord they wont look good because the rest of the trim is grey/smoked. Can I paint over this smoked oem part to the same color of the car? To give it a prelude look? has anyone does this?
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/elverjimenez/Pictures.jpg

It sounds like you are leaking p/s fluid onto something hot and it is burning off. Smells bad lol.

You can absolutely paint the eyelids and corners, people do it a lot. Usually black or the silvery gray color they already are. I'm yet to see someone paint them body colored.

Welcome to 3geez :cheers:

Dr_Snooz
12-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Welcome, welcome! Hope to see pics soon.

evil88accordLX
12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
perhaps the lude lids fit the accord lights?

Pico
12-02-2008, 09:58 PM
:welcome:
You'll love driving the Accord besides driving the Legend, I know this for a fact because I also drive a Legend too

Elver
12-02-2008, 10:30 PM
:welcome:
You'll love driving the Accord besides driving the Legend, I know this for a fact because I also drive a Legend too

What year is your Legend? What type? Mine is a 91 Coupe 5Speed.

perhaps the lude lids fit the accord lights?
I really do doubt that. But ill check on that. Im really supriced no one has ever thought of painting it to a body color and giving it that Prelude look.

I promise that i will post pics soon but honestly there is nothing to see. Its body is very straight and apart from the hood (which i want to get painted soon) the paint is good. The car is pretty much 100% oem.

Rendon LX-i
12-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Welcome to the site and thats nothing to a honda.

Pico
12-02-2008, 10:37 PM
What year is your Legend? What type? Mine is a 91 Coupe 5Speed.

91 Sedan all stock for now
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/Legend1126063.jpg

86AccordLxi
12-02-2008, 10:59 PM
The steering column smell is the combination switch (which has the headlight stalk/indicators, etc on it) burning up. Eventually your headlights will probably stay on or something similarly goofy lol.

Elver
12-02-2008, 11:05 PM
The steering column smell is the combination switch (which has the headlight stalk/indicators, etc on it) burning up. Eventually your headlights will probably stay on or something similarly goofy lol.

Could you please explain to me which part will need to be replaced? and if i can do it my self. Thanks in advance
Also until i get a chance to replace it is there any risk of my car lighting on fire.ect?

89sei89dx
12-02-2008, 11:35 PM
when my car was white i painted the side markers white too so only the little corner light was gray . u could see the yellow blinker thru it day and night good and it looked white in the day. i thought it looked good. id take pics but i painted my car and am now in the process of filling in the side makers so they are body now. light is gone

86AccordLxi
12-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Oh shit, you're local lol.

I pm'd you back btw. If you need a reference for a good honda mechanic in Eugene lemme know.

Crazybird
12-04-2008, 01:24 PM
/Pictures.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

haha ive had that smell too and actually recently again :( right after i took out the whole combo switch cause it broke and put in a new one so ya there's a white casing and it basically catches fire for some odd reason oh and if u let it get bad enough you break that nob that turns on and off the headlights :(

Oldblueaccord
12-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah its the combo switch. It will start to smoke if its going bad like that with the lights on. It's the switch that has your blinker stalk and you wiper stalk behind the steering wheel. You have to pull the steering wheel to do it im about 80% sure/ There some that are susposed to be split style.

The other bad thing its they are very rare new and very expensive as well.

If your quick with a soldering a iron you maybe able to fix yours with that and putting a relay in for the low beam lights.

wp

1ajs
12-04-2008, 05:19 PM
yo welcome to the forum 300,000 mils pft thats nothing u can do 500,000 or more easily cheers

the eltrical issue go to the recor and take the columb apart and see how it goes together and get some parts maybe rebuild one cheers

Demon1024
12-04-2008, 11:08 PM
dito on the miles 299,993.
I wouldn't do the lights like that out of my personal preferance cause it would make the grill look outta place. (but i'd love to see a finished product)

Elver
12-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the responses. Below are the pictures of my car... As you guys can see the hood needs to be repainted. I will get that done. As for the combination switch it doesn't always smell weird so ill wait until it burns out completely.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/elverjimenez/Accord/img169.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/elverjimenez/Accord/img170.jpg

Oldblueaccord
12-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Just a FYI its wires burning your smelling.

wp