PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Question ??

GreenMachine
09-25-2002, 09:08 PM
This is for anyone who has took off there needles/guages on the dash. I took the needles and backgrounds off to make some white face gauges but the temp needle is all wacked now !
How do you make it so that needle is in the correct location.

I know the answer .......your SOL !

So the real question is how hard is it to put in a aftermarket temp gauge, and would that be oil temp or water ! thanx

2Fast_Fiero
09-25-2002, 09:46 PM
Ok, I made this mistake too, the FT Guages are electic motorized unlike the Tach and Speedo Guages, when you took them off, you should have remembered where your fuel line was at, and puting your temp back on is a slow process, some night when you are not gonna go anywheres, take the whole unit off, put it on your desk or something and pull the temp off, position it to the cold area, and put it back move it up and down and let it drop down to its comfortable spot, if its not in the right area, keep adjusting it. I did this, and I did it on bad timming, my Thermometer went out after this so the temp guage was all fucked up, and it resulted in my engine blowing the head gasket, maybe more. if it was working right it could have been prevented. So just do that, I readjusted it today and now its half under cold lol.

GreenMachine
09-25-2002, 10:55 PM
I don't trust it anymore ! Fiddling with it doesn't seem to be very precise and wouldn't want it overheating.....:mad: :rant:

2Fast_Fiero
09-25-2002, 11:26 PM
Thats the only way to get it back man, otherwise your screwed, either you work with it, or you wont have a working FT Guage. So your gonna have to go out and buy a temp guage, and start learning when your car runs out of fuel.

Neuspeed87lx
09-26-2002, 06:56 AM
mine dont work anymore ....

Chubs87Accord
09-26-2002, 03:13 PM
i had the same thing... the needle wold go half way up the ( thing and i know its not that hot... it wasnt running before and it was jsut started... so if that happens its gonna fuck up the head gasket?

Chubs87Accord
09-26-2002, 03:15 PM
OOOHH OOOHH OOOHH MISTA KOTTEAR MISTA KOTTEAR... lol i got an idea... take the needle off, start your car, then stick it back on in the cold position.... sounds like that should work... maybe il go do that now to fix it

GreenMachine
09-26-2002, 03:26 PM
Well My fuel works fine, I'm mean it's a no brainer on adjusting that, but the temp gauge I don;t know - it does work but its just not as acuurate.
Not a big deal I want temp/volt/oil press gauges anyway. Just not right away , well what's the point in owning a visa and not usen it . lol

dhcarss
09-27-2002, 07:59 AM
The way I did mine is what chub 87 said, I started the car when cold, and put it on then, works just fine..

2Fast_Fiero
09-27-2002, 02:43 PM
Yes, but you must make sure its giving you the most acurate readings. when the car was shut off, the needle said it was at the normal running temp. when I started the car and ran it, the temp guage would go 3/4 of the way up, if it was giving me acurate enough readings, I could have prevented it from blowing my head gasket.

GreenMachine
09-29-2002, 02:20 PM
I think I got the gauge farely accurate but it is still about 3/4 of the way up. It doesn't go any higher but it seems a little high. I changed both the thermostat and the cooling fan thermostat, just to be safe.
Anyone know if EFI runs a little hotter than carb ?

anchovies
09-29-2002, 10:07 PM
Mine also runs 3/4 before the fan kicks in. This is after fiddling with the cooling system. Should be the aftermarket thermoswitch on the thermostate housing, if u have changed that. If not then it might be what u've done to the gauge.

GreenMachine
09-29-2002, 10:36 PM
Thanx, after your fan kicks on does the needle come down at all

anchovies
09-29-2002, 11:00 PM
yeah back to 1/2 on the gauge.