PDA

View Full Version : simple green

bushbean
12-05-2008, 09:03 AM
I replaced the bad cam oil seal and the timing belt. To clean off the copious amount of oil in the timing belt compartment, I liberally used Simple Green. Then, I (knowing SG is corrosive) sprayed the compartment with lots and lots of water. Now, there is a new whining noise. It sounds like it's coming from a pulley. Did SG caused this? Is it possible for SG to seep into bearings and destroy it? Or, was it coincidence?

Vanilla Sky
12-05-2008, 09:39 AM
I'd assume it's the alternator. It's back there, too, and they don't like water at all.

carotman
12-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Simple Green isn't corrosive like other products. I really doubt this product could cause any harm.

cubert
12-05-2008, 04:26 PM
I'd assume it's the alternator. It's back there, too, and they don't like water at all.

I second this. My alternator was fine, got a little crazy with the hose in the engine bay, then the alternator went bye bye pretty damn quick.

rfiks
12-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Simple Green isn't corrosive like other products. I really doubt this product could cause any harm.:beer:
oh yea... im having similar problems i sprayed my engine after thanks giving and now my engine sounded like there was a small bird inthere(LOL). It would chirp like evree second or so-then it started chirping quicker (if that makes n e sence) so i turned it off and started it again- same thing. so im get a new timing belt and im gunna repl8ce the head gasket while im in there. i dont think is good for rubber. -???-

Dr_Snooz
12-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Maybe some valuable info on the corrosive effects of Simple Green. I say use with care:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/59319-simple-green-aluminum-embrittlement.html

Civic Accord Honda
12-05-2008, 08:29 PM
i use simple green on everything and have had no problems.... alot of people even use it to clean the inside of there engine out durring a rebuild or HG replace. i highly doubt it harmed anything...

mushroom_toy
12-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Well its biodegradable and ive never have any problems with it. One of the best cleaners on the market imho.

LX-incredible
12-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Probably a worn tensioner bearing showing itself with the tension of the new belt.

cygnus x-1
12-05-2008, 11:24 PM
According to this:
http://www.epa.gov/OEM/content/ncp/products/simplegr.htm

Simple Green is slightly basic, so it may have a tendency to etch aluminum. As long as you wash it off though it won't be a problem. At the worst it might make the surface dull but it won't affect the material strength in our lifetimes.

Most likely you got water in somewhere that doesn't like water. Could very well be the alternator. Incidentally after rebuilding my engine I noticed a new sort of whining noise that I still haven't been able to track down after two years. It almost sounds like a supercharger. The alternator is the same so it's not that. The only thing I can figure is that it's the timing belt or tensioner.

C|

labeledsk8r
12-05-2008, 11:41 PM
:beer:
oh yea... im having similar problems i sprayed my engine after thanks giving and now my engine sounded like there was a small bird inthere(LOL). It would chirp like evree second or so-then it started chirping quicker (if that makes n e sence) so i turned it off and started it again- same thing. so im get a new timing belt and im gunna repl8ce the head gasket while im in there. i dont think is good for rubber. -???-

no offence... but i doubt its your timeing belt or your head gasket in any way... sounds like you have no idea what your talking about lol