PDA

View Full Version : What's the best guess as to what's wrong with this (non-3g)

w261w261
12-06-2008, 02:00 AM
My son needs a quick car for not much, and the 3G options are limited around here at the moment. This was on craigslist. I'm wondering what you guys think might be the problem. Thx.

<< 99 Maxima. Fully loaded, leather, tints, sunroof.... 190xxx miles.....runs very sluggish...not sure what it is...sometimes its a struggle to even get up to 15mph....have heard it could be either the O2 sensor, OR mass air flow sensor, OR one of the catalytic converters (maxima's have 2 in case you were wondering)...don't really know what it is....don't have the desire to find out...OUR LOSS IS YOUR GAIN....you WILL NOT be able to drive it away..you'll have to tow it unless you are local..>>

2oodoor
12-06-2008, 02:31 AM
timing belt /tensioner
fuel pressure
if the cat(s) were that clogged something else made it that way, then you get into those engine managment things named (map or maf whichever it uses, coolant temp sens, egr cont, etc.low fuel pressure)
there, you go ...two guesses and one attempt to discuss the things mentioned!

Civic Accord Honda
12-06-2008, 03:05 AM
clogged fuel filter... clogged injectors...messed up dizzy cap causeing it to miss fire..

bank2me
12-06-2008, 09:07 AM
IDK man sounds like it could be a money pit maybe but its your call.

w261w261
12-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try and call them and see if anyone put a code reader on it.

2oodoor
12-06-2008, 12:13 PM
is it the big what.. 3.3L six banger? 99 maxima dressed out like that may be worth a little attention if it is otherwise clean. 15mph is not very much power, you would be surprized how little a scanner will tell you on something like that. It may provide a piece or two to the puzzle though. That sounds a little more than ECM limp mode. Still could be simple though.

89T
12-06-2008, 07:27 PM
my bet will be the cat!
my brother had the same problem.

-$MOKIN-
12-06-2008, 07:34 PM
I think it has problems with the ignition. Probably ignition out of time a little bit along with bad wires and plugs. If it starts to go better after it gets some spead its probably ign.

cygnus x-1
12-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Go take a look and see how it runs. There isn't enough information to say much of anything other than "it has a problem". Could be anywhere from a plugged intake to a roasted engine. Even without the O2 it should run better than that. Maybe the owner will let you poke around a bit.

C|

Ichiban
12-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Agreed. For it to run that poorly, it would have to have almost no fuel pressure, or maybe it spun a cam on one bank. Could be a bank worth of dead coil packs, or a bunch of violated pistons. Need more information.

DEEGO
12-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Check fuel filters and all sensors.