PDA

View Full Version : erratic idle

honda not hyundai
12-06-2008, 06:37 PM
My 89 accord "carburated" has an idle issue.It warms up and the idle starts acting like it is pulsing.It dies when i put it in gear.It runs great when i am driving.The car has a new head,and timing belt.I checked the timing with a timing light its at 15 btdc.I really like this car and would like to give it to my 16 year old son for a first car.Any help would be appreciated

Dr_Snooz
12-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Idle problems are typically caused by vacuum leaks or by low coolant. If your coolant is low, you'll need to fill and bleed properly.

Let us know if that resolves it.

honda not hyundai
12-07-2008, 09:05 AM
thanks ill try the coolant level.Ill let you know if it works

honda not hyundai
12-07-2008, 02:12 PM
well the coolant helped a great deal.The car is now driveable,but the fluctuating idle still exsists,just not as bad.How hard would it be to change to fuel injected from a donar car?These carb cars seem to be very complicated,and tempermental.If it would run great I wouldnt even consider changing to FI.any advise is appreciated.

2oodoor
12-07-2008, 02:37 PM
yaw all know it is coming, wait for it wait for it...

weber conversion kit, makes the car a dream to drive and service.

Normally the complaint is excessively high idle on these carbed accords. Fluctuating? pinched or collapsed vacuum lines, thermovacuum switches (that is why adding coolant helped so you may want to look at those more closely) there is one back behind the carb on the manifold, and two more up on top. Check the vacuum lines going to those and you could try rigging up a "jumper" tee to bypass each one for testing, see if anything changes.
"Hunting" idle is more a characteristic of a fuel injected car honestly.

honda not hyundai
12-07-2008, 02:40 PM
weber conversion sounds bad ass.where do I get one,complete ki if possible

2oodoor
12-07-2008, 03:05 PM
I have lucked up and found the webers used and bought the adapter plate. But an easy button is to just order the kit for this car. carbsunlimited.com, and several others. Check the carb tech section here under technical, you can see some pics of how the kit unclutters the engine compartment.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64982

Dr_Snooz
12-07-2008, 07:09 PM
"Hunting" idle is more a characteristic of a fuel injected car honestly.

Okay so I'm an idiot. It just dawned on me that this is a carbureted car. Anyway, what I told you would work very well if your car was injected.

I'm just going to sit over here in the corner and babble incoherently to myself. Slap me if I get too loud.

:slap:

honda not hyundai
12-08-2008, 01:38 PM
So are you saying that the weber conversion wont work on my carburated accord?

rfiks
12-16-2008, 05:54 PM
it do-able and has been done.

greentee76
12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
So are you saying that the weber conversion wont work on my carburated accord?

No No, Dr. Snooz was thinking you had a FI car, he was confused.
The Weber conversion is pretty straight forward to do. The best part for me personally was ripping out all that vacuum mess,he he.
Be sure that you don't have emmisions testing in your area before going for it.
I payed right around 400 for my kit from carbsunlimited, although I have been seeing the same kit on ebay lately for ~350.
Best money I have spent on the car to date.
Good luck!

PS If you do the 32/36 weber that comes in the kit if you are like me you'll soon be yearning for the 38/38, but the 32/36 is excellent.

rfiks
12-17-2008, 02:37 PM
No No, Dr. Snooz was thinking you had a FI car, he was confused.
The Weber conversion is pretty straight forward to do. The best part for me personally was ripping out all that vacuum mess,he he.
Be sure that you don't have emmisions testing in your area before going for it.
I payed right around 400 for my kit from carbsunlimited, although I have been seeing the same kit on ebay lately for ~350.
Best money I have spent on the car to date.
Good luck!

PS If you do the 32/36 weber that comes in the kit if you are like me you'll soon be yearning for the 38/38, but the 32/36 is excellent.
after the carb swap did u get any MORE noticeable power???

Vanilla Sky
12-17-2008, 02:47 PM
after The Carb Swap Did U Get Any More Noticeable Power???

Search!!

On topic: have you checked the Thermo switches on the back of the intake manifold? I had one that wouldn't hold vaccum because it was cracked. It would build up then release. Give that a check.

greentee76
12-17-2008, 02:57 PM
after the carb swap did u get any MORE noticeable power???

I'm not sure that I actually gained any power, but the power that is there is more useable, if you understand my meaning. It seem to put the powerband in a more useable region. Also it simplifies everything so maintence becomes much simplier, along with eliminating all the glitches and demons of the OEM setup.

rfiks
12-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Search!!

On topic: have you checked the Thermo switches on the back of the intake manifold? I had one that wouldn't hold vaccum because it was cracked. It would build up then release. Give that a check.

:Dsooo.... how bout them lakers?:eek5:

THanks Greentee

jdmaccordnut
12-21-2008, 08:45 PM
I haven't been able to get my weber running right. It's easier to play with than stock, but I've noticed a dip in MPG, and power. Just letting you know that you will result in this, unless you get it tuned or something. I followed the directions on the how to exactly, and it's been not that great. Also, the car will not idle below 1200 rpms. I think it's missing, I'm going to give it a tuneup this week to see if it fixes it, but do not expect the weber to make it into a perfect car, it requires a lot of tweaking. It is, however, very drivable out of the box.