PDA

View Full Version : Custom Instrument Cluster!

2Fast_Fiero
09-26-2002, 12:48 AM
Allright, my neighbor across the road is a sears nut, he has tons of shit, he has a self propelled mower, a riding tractor/mower, a weed eater, a chainsaw, all sorts of shit, since I used to repair and service them for a living, he wanted me to give him free labor and discount on parts for them. I told him that I cant just give him that much money, things start adding up. so in a comback he said that since the engine in my car blew and he knows I'm repairing it, he will buy me something for it. I asked him if he would buy me new guages which wont cost much with my brothers discount, he's gonna buy me new Auto Meter Guages, and I've allready sized and maped a new cluster setup since my Fuel and Temp guages are broken on the 87. Here's what I have come up with..What do you think? This setup with my brothers discount will cost $158.

http://msimaging.netfirms.com/New Guage Cluster.JPG
Personal Opinions Please.
The lil guages will be bigger then they look, in the picture they look like 1" guages, they are 2" Guages and it will require me to customize the Guage Bezzel.

2Fast_Fiero
09-26-2002, 12:50 AM
There is also a Matching clock that I was thinkin that I could buy and replace the square dash clock with, it looks sweet!!! All of them come with bulbs and red and blue covers for the bulbs so I can choose which color I want them to be and they connect directly to the stock 12V system, the MPH Guage is mechanical and would connect directly to the stock cable, I just would have to go into the dash and move it over about 5"s, but hopefully thats not a problem.

89AccordNate
09-26-2002, 07:35 AM
All I can say is having fun wiring them, and have fun mounting them, because the odds are high that it just wont look right. The wiring is going to be the most difficult part. Its going to take a lot of custom work to even make them sit there. Man use your head and get something worth buying, those guages look like their from the 1900's.

Nate.

2Fast_Fiero
09-26-2002, 11:58 AM
I can't find anything tho. My stock guages on the car now are totaly fucked, and the wireing wouldn't be any problem, I've done it before with my friends '68 Chevy PU. I allready know about all the customizing I'm gonna have to do to mount them. But I can't find the guages I like that has everything I need, I was just going to replace the Tach and Speedo guages with the right size ones, and just get a small fuel and temp guage and put them in the same spot with minimal customizing, But I cannot find a Tach, Speedo, Fuel, and Temp guage that is either the right size, and that matches. And I dont know if another cars Instrument cluster would work on mine if I found one at the junkyard so......This seems like my best bet to keep the car running this time. The Reason the engine is blown now is cause It didn't give me acurate readings. I need that!

89AccordNate
09-26-2002, 01:28 PM
Cough *bullshit* cough.

Nate.

Jdub07
09-26-2002, 02:22 PM
MSI do it man, don't listen to nate. He doesn't know jack about our cars. Those gauges are awesome I just can't wait to see them installed in your ride. That sucks about your engine being blown you really need some reliable gauges. And those guages are the ones man. And shit if you can work on a old chevy truck you can work on anything bud. All wireing and custom work is the same, so you got it in the bag baby. By the way, how is your list of ten people coming along for the motor mounts?

Best Regards,

J-dub07

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
09-26-2002, 02:24 PM
:lol

89AccordNate
09-26-2002, 02:32 PM
With those gauges your car is going to look like an old chevy..... :D

Nate.

Chubs87Accord
09-26-2002, 03:06 PM
i dont like em... you should get somethin worth while for your car.. that you dont have.. get by on your gauges you have now and make the car faster or something

2Fast_Fiero
09-26-2002, 04:50 PM
Why should I make the car faster when I dont know what else is going to go on the car? If I can find better looking guages, then I'll use them.....I want to talk to Auto Meter to see if they have a sertain guage I want in all the right sizes. and Thank you soo much JDub, The list is commin better then I thought, I got 5 people on the list so far, the guy here in Burque says he will get back at me on it, he must think about it. so if he's in that will be 6 people. I wish I could get the guages with the white face, red dials and red needles, but they dont have the right size's.

2Fast_Fiero
09-26-2002, 04:53 PM
The guages in the 87 Accord dont work any more, sometimes the tach will all of a suden turn on, sometimes it wont, the fuel and temp guages dont work, I despiratly need a battery voltage guage cause my sound system kills the battery quick. So I think they will look good and I think they will give it a custom look and also provide acurate readings when I put the new head gasket, and thermometer on it.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
09-26-2002, 04:59 PM
Your Sound System Kills the battery? 5000watts? :lol

2Fast_Fiero
09-26-2002, 05:39 PM
Yes, My sound system kills the battery quick, even on the highway doing 90mph the power trips out when the system is running.

Jdub07
09-27-2002, 07:55 AM
Man that is just terrible about your system killing your battary buddy. Maybe you should get another battary or two and install them in the trunk. Maybe if you could install another altanator in your car that could power the other battaries. Don't go with any other gauges man I haven't seen any that look better than that in a long time. All you need is a little modification and your set. Don't listen to anyone on the board that disagrees with you. No one that disagree's with you knows their shit. When your accord is done it will be the fattest around. Heaviest to, but phugget.

With most Regards,

J-Dub07

2Fast_Fiero
09-27-2002, 02:36 PM
Why are you saying that my accord will be the fastest around? I'm just gonna buy a new 89 Accord LXi and drop the motor from that into my 87 LXi and all I'm gonna do to that 87 LXi is give it a new paint job on the body and the wheels and steam clean the engine, clean out the interior and keep it as a second car, All the stickers are commin off. So whenever I dont want to drive my 89 LXi after the engine swap in that, I'll drive the 87. Maybe if my new girlfriend is worthy, I'll allow her to drive my 87.

Jdub07
09-27-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by MSIAccord_LXi
Why are you saying that my accord will be the fastest around? I'm just gonna buy a new 89 Accord LXi and drop the motor from that into my 87 LXi and all I'm gonna do to that 87 LXi is give it a new paint job on the body and the wheels and steam clean the engine, clean out the interior and keep it as a second car, All the stickers are commin off. So whenever I dont want to drive my 89 LXi after the engine swap in that, I'll drive the 87. Maybe if my new girlfriend is worthy, I'll allow her to drive my 87.

ummmmm,...yeah see I don't reacall saying "fastest". Try r-e-a-d-i-n-g the post before replying to it. Ok son?

2Fast_Fiero
09-27-2002, 02:46 PM
Ohh shit, sorry man. I didn't catch that. I just came in from outside where its brighter then fuck and so my eye sight must be trippin on me. Sorry Man!

Jdub07
09-27-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by MSIAccord_LXi
Ohh shit, sorry man. I didn't catch that. I just came in from outside where its brighter then fuck and so my eye sight must be trippin on me. Sorry Man!

no problem

Neuspeed87lx
09-27-2002, 03:06 PM
whats wrong with the stock guages?..well i know yours dont work ...but just get another cluster from the junkyard or ebay or something like that...put some white guage faces in and it looks great....? just my 2 cents

2Fast_Fiero
09-27-2002, 06:05 PM
Well, I think I'm gonna have to rewire the tach to the Coil. I emailed Auto Meter and told them what I wanted, I told them I wanted a tach to go in the original hole where the tach is, and the same size speedo, and just 2 small guages for the Fuel and Temp. they will give me 100% acurate readings.

markmdz89hatch
09-27-2002, 06:33 PM
not a bad concept, but only one problem... I've taken apart the cluster before, and that little round circle you see for the tac is just the face, the rest of it is much smaller, and encased in that plastic cluster housing along with all the other guages. If ur gonna do this, that means, you'll have to get a bracket custom made to fit all of the custom made guages/guage pods, all to be wired in with that custom wiring, with custom lighting for the rest of the custom work. Then you might even need custom screws for the custom mess you just made. :lol :huh:

...seriously tho... if you manage to pull that off, make sure you post it, and if you use a template for any of the brackets/wiring, be sure to share.

2Fast_Fiero
09-27-2002, 06:39 PM
I have the whole cluster torn apart into peices right now, it will work. I'm gonna use the stock bezzel as a template for a new bezel. the Sizes of the holes are perfect for what I'm buying. I just want a CF Bezel so I'm gonna fabricate one. I'm almost positive I'm gonna have to make custom wireing for the lights on the cluster so that I can take off that plastic shit.

2Fast_Fiero
09-27-2002, 06:43 PM
I'm thinking of using a AC Autotechnic 3D Guage Bezel from a 4th Gen Accord to help the fitment of the guages, if I do that I wont have to worry about any custom fiting like you say.
http://www.importtrenz.com/importtrenz/accessories/images/cluster.jpg

89AccordNate
09-27-2002, 09:56 PM
Now actually do something, make some progress and prove to us your made of something, right now we all think your full of shit..SO PLEASE QUIT POSTING UNTIL THEN, your posts are lame and are what we like to call "yeah, right, bullshit" posts.

Nate.

2Fast_Fiero
09-27-2002, 11:07 PM
Here are the guages I'm going to use...
http://www.autometer.com/hp/2001_catalog/racing/racing_art/4492_97_large.jpg http://www.autometer.com/hp/2001_catalog/racing/racing_art/4437_large.jpg http://www.autometer.com/hp/2001_catalog/racing/racing_art/4314_37_large.jpg

Jims 86LXI HB
09-27-2002, 11:21 PM
Those gauges don't look very easy to read to me. Very important since when you need the info they provide the most, you usually have the least amount of time to "study" them. Yes they are clear and defined, but their not easy to read.

2Fast_Fiero
09-28-2002, 03:56 AM
Yea, but the only small guages from there that I'll have will be the Fuel and Temp guages, and on your monitor, they are 1" in diameter when in real life they will be 2 1/16" in diameter, while the Tach will be 3 1/8" just like the stock tach, and the speedo will be 3 3/8" just like the stock speedo. I'm plaing around with the instrument cluster measureing deapth, and they will all fit just fine. The MPH guage will say 160mph tho. I think this would be a fun thing to do, but if you realy think I could buy a instrument cluster off ebay or a junk yard and it will give me acurate readings on revs per minute, miles per hour, and temp of the cyl head and how much fuel I got, then I'll shove the whole project, buy some of pauls guages and a stock instrument cluster. But the reality is that honda guages dont give acurate readings, they give an estimate. and I tried to pass up the reality that these engines are old and most are running somewheres from 140k to 250k and even more then that, my hardware started dieing at 216k. I feel now I was lucky. this car is going to be driven by a woman most of the time after I get my new car so I definatly want acurate readings. But Jim if you say its a bad Idea, I'll dump the whole thing right now.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-28-2002, 08:24 AM
Well when you put it like that I think your spinning thing's up to justify the whole project. It's like your saying all of our cars have gauge problems and you just know your new car will have gauge problems to. Come on now.:rolleyes: You've got enough on your idea plate as it is, stop whipping up things to convice your self you've gotta do this.

2Fast_Fiero
09-28-2002, 12:13 PM
I'm just realy afraid of an engine running 200k miles and not being properly treated. I was a dumb ass on this motor for beating on it at 216k miles. I never got it through my head that if I keep it up, one day it will start smoking, and it did.

anchovies
09-28-2002, 11:44 PM
Are those mechanical or electrical?
I want to see if you can pull this off :D. Of course it can be done, but everything "should" be custom IMHO. Good luck

2Fast_Fiero
09-29-2002, 11:40 AM
The Tach is Electrical just like the stock tach, the Speedo is Mechanical just like the stock speedo, and the Fuel and Temp guages that I am looking at are ofcource Electrical. Just like the stock tachs.

2Fast_Fiero
10-02-2002, 05:19 PM
Ok, I need SunPro's website, I need to find a smaller Tach and Speedo, all PepBoys has in stock is a 5" external tach. but I did buy 3 1" Guages to replace the FT Guage, I got Fuel/Temp/Batt. Guages.

Thorny88Lx
10-03-2002, 12:41 PM
That tach is would mess me up, I normally shift at 7k to 7.5k rpm on that tach, i dont know where Id shift

jteuton
10-03-2002, 01:33 PM
Hey MSI man.....don't listen to half these people. I think them gauges look phat and if you think you can pull it off then do it. Look at all these people telling you you can't do it and to stop posting cause your lame. I would like to see you prove them wrong cause in my book if you try hard enough at anything you can succed. It sounds like your a little scared to try it since your letting so many people change your mind but I wouldn't be. If half these asses would try new things then maybe we could get more projects going that would help benifet our accords. Look I'm not ripping everybody just a select few ...cough 89accordnate cough.....who try to shoot down everybodies ideas....can we give a little encouragement here? I don't see anybody ripping 88turboaccord for his gauge project and they look just as sweet as these gauges. The point is.....if MSI is just a bs'er then thats fine but if he got a good idea then let him know. Aftermarket gauges are 350% more accurate than stock and they look better too... so why all the disappointment?

2Fast_Fiero
10-03-2002, 02:17 PM
And I allready got half the guages, I need some more now. The only reason I havent got the other guages is cause I'm confused on what I wanna do with the car, I wanna just clean it up with a new paint job and run it as a second car. but I also want my girl to get involved in the 3geez with it. I can easily use just a tach and no speedo, but she can't.

2Fast_Fiero
10-03-2002, 03:15 PM
Ok, I need to know how to connect the Oil Presure guage and the Fuel guage up.

Low Tek
10-03-2002, 03:53 PM
hey.. off the subject... but does anyone know where I can get an all digital dash for the 3rd gen accord??? Rumor has it that there is one, but I have not been able to locate it..

2Fast_Fiero
10-03-2002, 03:54 PM
You can either TRY your hardest to import one from a JDM Accord, or you could buy one from Apex, Blitz, or HKS.

jteuton
10-03-2002, 06:18 PM
you can run a oil pressure line (mechanical) to the top of oil filter housing and tie in there....i'm not sure how you would wire an electrical one....to get a fuel pressure gauge that is inside the car you also have to buy an isolater so that will cost you some money

2Fast_Fiero
10-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Its not electrical, its mechanical, it has a presure line connector on it

jteuton
10-04-2002, 09:39 AM
all you need to do then is find a plug on the block to screw your fitting into....i know there is one on top of the oil filter housing that has a switch if your oil pressure is low but by disconnecting this and hooking yours up I don't know what would happen. On some cars with the safety low oil pressure light/swich unplugged the ecu cuts fuel to prevent engine damage so you would have to short this connector or something. The easiest thing to do might be to look for another oil plug on the block. I'm sure somebody has hooded up a oil pressure gauge that can clue you in on the best place

markmdz89hatch
10-04-2002, 11:50 AM
he's right. ...the best bet for someone that might know something about that is Justin (turboaccord). As he's got turbo, I can bet that he's got a fuel temp guage rigged up somewhere.

2Fast_Fiero
10-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Ok, can someone help me and tell me how on earth do I get the damn heat sensor off the damn exaust manifold? or does the temp sensor go somewheres else, I just busted my hands up tryin to twist that sensor off of the exaust.

jteuton
10-04-2002, 01:50 PM
Your putting a temperature sensor in the exhaust......huh? you usually only do that with a turbo.....

2Fast_Fiero
10-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Thats what the instructions say on the Temp guage.There is a sensor on the exaust manifold allready but I cant twist it off. I tried and tried and tried. I just gave up and went onto getting the intake manifold off.

3G Jester
10-04-2002, 03:01 PM
MSI----u post and post about this and that---but is ur car anything other than stock??? trhose gauges are sweet---BUT FOR OLD CLASSIC CARS. not 3g's..........

get a clue bro. and umm while ur at it......dont waste our time with ur useless polls......