PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Accord Swap

Rockshm0
12-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have an '88 accord that I want to start doing some work on and I was wondering which engines could be easily swapped into this car. By easily I mean what can bolt in using the stock motor mounts? I'm not sure if it's a DX or an LX but if that's important I can find out this weekend, it's definitely carb'd though.

I tried searching these forums but couldn't really find the answer I was looking for.

Rendon LX-i
12-10-2008, 07:34 PM
IF you wanted to swap any motor beside a B20a from a Accord B20 eveything else is going to have to be custom mounts. Place Racing stoped making mounts to swap a B,H Series motor into are Accord man...Can be done if you can weld.

Rendonlxi

Rockshm0
12-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Wait a b20 will bolt up? I may have misunderstood you, but nobody makes mounts for accords anymore? 'Cause someone told me to goto Hasport but they only supply mounts for Civics, CRXs, and Integras not accords.

If anything would it be easier to just keep my current one and just modify that one? Throw a cam at it or somethin.. I'm not too familiar with the performance world, let alone Hondas but I love my accord. :)

A18A
12-10-2008, 08:01 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413

Rockshm0
12-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Oh, thanks A18A that's exactly what I was looking for. I saw your thread on the right-hand 89 accord btw, sweet job.

A18A
12-10-2008, 08:24 PM
thank you :)

Rockshm0
12-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Now I just need to know where to find a JDM b20a out of an Accord seeing as according to that link the b20a from the Prelude will not bolt up. I think I might just resort to beefing up my current block but that too is seeming to be a problem as everyone seems to stock performance parts for like 90+ hondas and nothing before that. Could an F series motor out of a 90's accord fit or is there a totally different mounting orientation?

Demon1024
12-11-2008, 03:06 AM
nothin but those 2 motors will bolt right up. i think alot of people will agree the best road $/power is to beef up that sucker! these motors are hella tuff. start intake/exhaust. then maybe cam, ignition, management.... idunno i havent gotten that far my self :)
o and welcome to the site!

cygnus x-1
12-11-2008, 11:04 AM
These are old motors with not much aftermarket support so you have to get creative. Pacesetter makes a header and catback exhaust. It's worth getting the ceramic coated header for the extra money. CAI you'll have to make yourself. The factory carb is a major bottleneck. If you don't have to worry about emissions testing you can do a Weber carb swap, either the 32/26 or the 38/38. It's a relatively easy swap but will require some minor fabrication with the throttle linkage. Check the sticky threads and search around for posts on Weber swaps. You can get reground cams from Delta, Colt, or Webcams. If you have more money you can get custom forged pistons and Eagle rods for the bottom end to make it stronger and raise compression. Head work can go from a simple 3 angle valve job to 5 angle radiused seats and larger valve conversion with port and polish work. Then if you have even more money/fabrication skills you can put on a turbo and really fly.

You can do all the same things with these engines that you can with any other engine. It just takes more custom work as less is available off the shelf.

C|

gfrg88
12-11-2008, 06:16 PM
sell it.

Rockshm0
12-11-2008, 07:06 PM
nothin but those 2 motors will bolt right up. i think alot of people will agree the best road $/power is to beef up that sucker! these motors are hella tuff. start intake/exhaust. then maybe cam, ignition, management.... idunno i havent gotten that far my self :)
o and welcome to the site!
Thanks! I think I am just going to beef it up.

These are old motors with not much aftermarket support so you have to get creative. Pacesetter makes a header and catback exhaust. It's worth getting the ceramic coated header for the extra money. CAI you'll have to make yourself. The factory carb is a major bottleneck. If you don't have to worry about emissions testing you can do a Weber carb swap, either the 32/26 or the 38/38. It's a relatively easy swap but will require some minor fabrication with the throttle linkage. Check the sticky threads and search around for posts on Weber swaps. You can get reground cams from Delta, Colt, or Webcams. If you have more money you can get custom forged pistons and Eagle rods for the bottom end to make it stronger and raise compression. Head work can go from a simple 3 angle valve job to 5 angle radiused seats and larger valve conversion with port and polish work. Then if you have even more money/fabrication skills you can put on a turbo and really fly.

You can do all the same things with these engines that you can with any other engine. It just takes more custom work as less is available off the shelf.

C|
I probably will just do some work on it, I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to have to meet emissions yet but I did take a look at the carb thread already. I checked out some Webcams too already but the custom forged pistons would I have to get those from a machine shop or what..

sell it.
No.

cygnus x-1
12-12-2008, 07:47 AM
I probably will just do some work on it, I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to have to meet emissions yet but I did take a look at the carb thread already. I checked out some Webcams too already but the custom forged pistons would I have to get those from a machine shop or what..

Several companies make forged pistons, JE, Wiseco, Diamond, and Arias are a few. A machine shop should be able to help you with this as well. Forged pistons would only be for when you do a complete engine rebuild though. At that point you would be spending in the thousands to do a rebuild the right way.

C|

2oodoor
12-12-2008, 12:16 PM
sell it.

hush it :kekeke:

Since you have a lot to learn Rockshcmo, just drive the thing a like it is a while and decide if this is the car you want to sink some money and time into.
Welcome to 3 geez!