PDA

View Full Version : So i was driving home from work today....

clark_486
12-11-2008, 01:58 PM
On my way home from work, went to shift and, POP, pedal goes right to the floor. Cable broke. This is the part where im glad i leave things in my car cuz now i have a pair of vice grips that is worth somewhere between $35-$65 [in towing cost] and probably a few hrs worth of my time. It snapped right at the end of the cable. i let the adjuster all the way out, twisted the end back up as much as possible, and stuck it though the hole on the arm. then snapped those grips onto the end and re-tensioned. Amazingly it held on till i got home. [14 Mi of city driving] Kept it at or under 3rd the whole time to reduce shifts and also practiced a bit of clutchless shifting. Let everything sync up and slip in and out of gear with no grinding. All in all, could have been worse, but i know what im doing tomorrow on my only day off this week. This is another one of those fine examples when a daring 'co-pilot' was needed to climb under a hood with a two-way to operate the clutch :D

[heres some pics for you visual folks out there (http://mihl0g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pJ2pap0hI5yRCQNBeAMJxyh5Sy1JbMKTNFGzmBMEZGK8rR4G 4ZzYYUjr5wzjit2ERtA4lcWdpaSO01weRnkLoNA/DSCF0054.JPG)]

A18A
12-11-2008, 02:39 PM
hahahahha cool stuff

LXrocks
12-11-2008, 03:27 PM
gotta love vice grips.

codyJDM
12-11-2008, 03:55 PM
haha that is the greatest!

Ichiban
12-11-2008, 05:43 PM
At least it didn't break up under the dash somewhere. Bet you're glad you have a cable clutch and not hydraulic, eh? I remember failing the clutch slave on my Toyota and having to start in 1-Low range in gear. 3-Low to 1-High was the sweet spot for the range change. Lot's of throttle for downshifts.:Owned:

2ndGenGuy
12-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Ha yeah that reminds me of when the clutch slave went out in my Bronco II. I was out wheelin' and in the middle of the woods. Going over super-technical obstacles without a clutch is difficult. Lots of using the starter to get moving! I didn't have the balls to do shift the transfer case while moving!

Oh and reminds me of when I was downtown Seattle and the clutch slave went out in my Miata. Try heavy stop and go traffic with no damn clutch, traffic lights, and San Francisco style hills! Pumping the damn thing 4193498398 times to get it into first gear from a stoplight. Yeah people love waiting when they've already been sitting around in traffic for two hours.

86ccord
12-11-2008, 07:19 PM
wow.. i hope mine doesnt go out.. ughh..:nervous:

2ndGenGuy
12-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Just keep a spare cable with you! They're cheap, and can be replaced on the side of the road with no tools! :D :D

Civic Accord Honda
12-11-2008, 08:34 PM
At least it didn't break up under the dash somewhere. Bet you're glad you have a cable clutch and not hydraulic, eh? I remember failing the clutch slave on my Toyota and having to start in 1-Low range in gear. 3-Low to 1-High was the sweet spot for the range change. Lot's of throttle for downshifts.:Owned:
haha the clutch cylinder on my legend died.. drove it for 2 months having to pump it up everytime i went to shift then it completely gave out and had to drive clutchless

clark_486
12-12-2008, 04:18 AM
the only part that sucked was i did this fix on the side of the highway, right at the end of the on ramp. and had to do it all from the top side. Jammin hands down though those hoses do do everything, couldn't really see well because of that, and to top it off it was kinda cold for my taste that day.

MessyHonda
12-12-2008, 07:25 AM
yeah its scary when the clutch cable or trotle cable goes....it would be hard to shift with out a clutch cable....i tried it and it sucked...because i have a rebuilt trans so the syncros are still pretty stiff

clark_486
12-12-2008, 07:52 PM
ya so here was my quick fix till my cable gets in. Put a cable clamp with a washer on top with my trusty vice grips as a second layer just in case. should get it in by noon tomorrow and have it done that afternoon.
[pic (http://mihl0g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pEjkXI0aagQUpFyu_vHmFQHTRuTkhOBx3U9NuO7e6g4WYfXq 6YU7CYI05bWG8s2j3seft64wvIxiskjElx1GUhg/DSCF0058.JPG)]

greentee76
12-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Damnit... I know I replied in this thread but it isn't showing up.
Just be glad it was just your cable, I had a similar thing happen and it ended up being a broken bolt for the throwout bearing fork. Had to pull the tranny to fix :banghead:.
I tried a similar repair with the visegrips but of course that didn't work.
McGyver would be proud!

Dr_Snooz
12-12-2008, 08:36 PM
ya so here was my quick fix till my cable gets in. Put a cable clamp with a washer on top with my trusty vice grips as a second layer just in case. should get it in by noon tomorrow and have it done that afternoon.
[pic (http://mihl0g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pEjkXI0aagQUpFyu_vHmFQHTRuTkhOBx3U9NuO7e6g4WYfXq 6YU7CYI05bWG8s2j3seft64wvIxiskjElx1GUhg/DSCF0058.JPG)]

I LOVE it! You are the MAN! Major props for super ghetto engineering!!!!

clark_486
12-12-2008, 08:58 PM
oh ya, semi related question. Whats that block hanging off the release arm. Is it a weight? i find no trace of it in the shop manual.

clark_486
12-18-2008, 01:27 PM
*bump*