PDA

View Full Version : To remove or not to remove?

DEEGO
12-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi savvy 3GEE'Z

My 87 DX has black bumpers, they are a bit faded. Would it be better to remove the bumpers to paint or should I just tape them up really well? The color would be flat black. Any advise would be appreciated.

A18A
12-11-2008, 05:02 PM
you don't have to buy tape if you just remove it (Y)

ghettogeddy
12-11-2008, 05:08 PM
ya dont go flat but go satin it will look better

DEEGO
12-11-2008, 05:13 PM
ya dont go flat but go satin it will look better

Thanks for the post, So far im thinking about removing the bumpers and im going to check out the "Satin Black" Paint. I was thinking that no matter how well I tape up anything....there will still be some splash.

codyJDM
12-11-2008, 05:21 PM
They are extremely easy to take off, it is worth the extra 5-10 minutes to take them off and do it right.

ghettogeddy
12-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the post, So far im thinking about removing the bumpers and im going to check out the "Satin Black" Paint. I was thinking that no matter how well I tape up anything....there will still be some splash.

no tape and news paper is your friend lol
it will be harder to paint off the car cause your gona have to eather hang it cause when your painting your gona want to get all the angles and you will have to move it and such it will take forever lol just tape and paper
or plastic

codyJDM
12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
I just hung mine from my garage ceiling, wasn't hard

A18A
12-11-2008, 07:37 PM
yeah, you just put it where you can access it easy all around

ghettogeddy
12-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I just hung mine from my garage ceiling, wasn't hard

some dont have garages lol

Civic Accord Honda
12-11-2008, 07:58 PM
i just set mine on some boxs (Y) and yes take them off cause u will get some overspray and u will have to waste money on tape

DBMaster
12-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Think Krylon Fusion. It chemical bonds to plastics. I painted the black strips on my bumpers several times and it always ended up chipping off somewhere. The Fusion paint is holding up much better. It's even better than a coat of adhesion promoter followed by flexible bumper coating. Fusion is your friend.

Civic Accord Honda
12-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Think Krylon Fusion. It chemical bonds to plastics. I painted the black strips on my bumpers several times and it always ended up chipping off somewhere. The Fusion paint is holding up much better. It's even better than a coat of adhesion promoter followed by flexible bumper coating. Fusion is your friend.
word the bumper coating would flake off when i would go to the pressure washer but when i redid it in fusion it never flaked or chipped off at all

Hazwan
12-12-2008, 02:08 AM
i just set mine on some boxs (Y) and yes take them off cause u will get some overspray and u will have to waste money on tape

This made me lol.

J/K CAH, I'm sure you've changed now :D

86ccord
12-12-2008, 03:55 AM
or if you guys wanted to be really cool.. you could of went out and bought a bumper rack for a paint booth and use that like i did.. :D