PDA

View Full Version : I love working on cars but...

LXrocks
12-12-2008, 07:40 AM
I love working on cars and stuff but it isn't as much fun when it is so cold you can't feel your fingers.

2oodoor
12-12-2008, 07:53 AM
I love working on cars and stuff but it isn't as much fun when it is so cold you can't feel your fingers.

that is the phrase of the month :D

Civic Accord Honda
12-12-2008, 11:43 AM
yeah i had to change my alt out in 29F weather and installed fogs in about 31F weather haha

2ndGenGuy
12-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Gloves are amazing things. I bought some of those ones that had the holes for the fingers so that I could still grab nuts and bolts. I wound up pulling two transmissions at the wrecking yard last winter in the pouring down rain 35 degree weather. The car was in the middle of a seasonal lake, so I stacked some hoods up under the car, then put the back seat down on top of the hoods to lay on. Gotta love working in all weather conditions!

Oh, I also learned another GREAT thing about the reverse hoods we got on the older Hondas that you 3geezers didn't get. You can prop it open and hang a tarp across the hood to the roof and put a couple heavy items on top of it, and it gives you a nice dry shelter to work in. That's what Honda was thinking when they did that!

2oodoor
12-12-2008, 05:00 PM
hey, good idea Lude hinges for the Accord!
2ndGG you make me feel like a real wuss now, It was 40's and raining here and I wont get under my car in my own carport. windy too, the wind is the killa.
my fingers have been numb about three weeks now anyway from embedded fiberglass and carpel tunnel.. I guess that is the problem anyway.

lostforawhile
12-12-2008, 08:04 PM
yep it's been cold i've been out there under the passenger side of the dash upside down,for about three hours

greentee76
12-12-2008, 08:14 PM
hey, good idea Lude hinges for the Accord!
2ndGG you make me feel like a real wuss now, It was 40's and raining here and I wont get under my car in my own carport. windy too, the wind is the killa.
my fingers have been numb about three weeks now anyway from embedded fiberglass and carpel tunnel.. I guess that is the problem anyway.

Did I just hear someone in Georgia complain about 40 degree weather? That's would feel tropical around here right now.
Just giving yoa a hard time. I sure as hell ain't going out and working on the car anytime soon, as a matter of fact I just pulled it in the shop to top off fluids and air up tires. Too damn cold outside.

Dr_Snooz
12-12-2008, 08:29 PM
I find the disposable blue nitrile gloves really help to keep my hands warm. I'm in California so it doesn't get super cold. I changed my engine last year in February and they stayed toasty the whole time.

86ccord
12-12-2008, 08:36 PM
if it makes you guys feel anybetter.. i was working on my car in the garage with a heater.. :D

lostforawhile
12-12-2008, 09:08 PM
I find the disposable blue nitrile gloves really help to keep my hands warm. I'm in California so it doesn't get super cold. I changed my engine last year in February and they stayed toasty the whole time.yep our excuse for heat at work does nothing unless you are standing in front of it, I like those gloves been drilling forks with coolant so they keep my hands warm

ghettogeddy
12-12-2008, 09:47 PM
i want to do the revers hood on my hatch

Demon1024
12-13-2008, 03:21 AM
if it makes you guys feel anybetter.. i was working on my car in the garage with a heater.. :D

2x
:)new muffler lol:)

A18A
12-13-2008, 03:46 AM
garage ftw, especially one with power :)

Hazwan
12-13-2008, 03:59 AM
30*C the whole year FTW.

I want snow :(

cubert
12-13-2008, 07:18 AM
gonna be doing the timing belt in my mums car tonight...

low temp is supposed to be in the low teens...not taking the wind chill into consideration...

86ccord
12-13-2008, 07:41 AM

low temp is supposed to be in the low teens...not taking the wind chill into consideration...

tell her to fix it her self.. haha.. but good luck with that.. its going to be rough..

lostforawhile
12-13-2008, 07:53 AM
it's freezing ass cold here and i have to go fix my step daughters brakes

MessyHonda
12-13-2008, 11:20 AM
it gets a bit cold here...but i just double up on shirts

lostforawhile
12-13-2008, 02:33 PM
I hate fucking GM bullshit
no wonder they are bankrupt,this is some of the most piss poor engineering i've ever seen

Civic Accord Honda
12-13-2008, 02:53 PM
no wonder they are bankrupt,this is some of the most piss poor engineering i've ever seen
Ford > GM

Lil Mike
12-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Ive gotten used to working in 5 degrees Fahrenheit weather up here :D

russiankid
12-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Just run the engine before you go working on it. That way, its nice and warm while you work on it. Then by the time you're done, its nice and cool so you can properly torque the bolts or what not.

2oodoor
12-13-2008, 09:59 PM

:nuts::kekeke:

those kerosene turbo heaters rock outside in the cold,just dont use them around open fuel are get it too close.

Dr_Snooz
12-13-2008, 10:13 PM
it's freezing ass cold here and i have to go fix my step daughters brakes

Ha! Let me guess: it didn't go well?

lostforawhile
12-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Ha! Let me guess: it didn't go well?whoever put in recessed socket head screws instead of bolts on the calipers was a complete moron,then they get full of corrosion and won't back out far enough to pull the caliper off of the brake disc. on top of that got one side done,and have to wait on a brake disc for the other side,because she drove it for three months with the brakes grinding. now she doesn't have money for a brake disc and it's sitting beside my garage with one corner down on my trusty 100 year old lathe part jackstand. no one will steal one of those, if you leave a good jackstand under a car here, the homeboys will pick up the car,steal the jackstand and drop the car on the ground. :uh: and who at GM decided it would be a good idea to run eithier an AC or a PS line INSIDE of the wheel well? tire blows out? there goes your line, have salt on the roads? there goes your line. using GM logic it's probably a fuel line or something.

lostforawhile
12-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Ive gotten used to working in 5 degrees Fahrenheit weather up here :D
I'm from Ohio, when it was 5 degrees we stayed inside if possible. unless you were deer hunting or ice fishing of course.

Dr_Snooz
12-14-2008, 04:11 PM
whoever put in recessed socket head screws instead of bolts on the calipers was a complete moron,then they get full of corrosion and won't back out far enough to pull the caliper off of the brake disc. on top of that got one side done,and have to wait on a brake disc for the other side,because she drove it for three months with the brakes grinding. now she doesn't have money for a brake disc and it's sitting beside my garage with one corner down on my trusty 100 year old lathe part jackstand. no one will steal one of those, if you leave a good jackstand under a car here, the homeboys will pick up the car,steal the jackstand and drop the car on the ground. :uh: and who at GM decided it would be a good idea to run eithier an AC or a PS line INSIDE of the wheel well? tire blows out? there goes your line, have salt on the roads? there goes your line. using GM logic it's probably a fuel line or something.

The last GM I worked on, I had to remove the alternator to get to the #4 spark plug. The engine well was full of cheap plastic and sharp edges. That was probably 20 years ago. I've no desire to go back.

bank2me
12-15-2008, 11:25 AM
:werd:
Did I just hear someone in Georgia complain about 40 degree weather? That's would feel tropical around here right now.
Just giving yoa a hard time. I sure as hell ain't going out and working on the car anytime soon, as a matter of fact I just pulled it in the shop to top off fluids and air up tires. Too damn cold outside.

I just work on my car in the car wash(heated). I just put on a heater hose yesterday in there. I love it.