PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Transmission Questions

bank2me
12-12-2008, 09:32 AM
So I'm considering swapping transmissions but before I do I want to be prepared. I think I'm going to go with a brand new transmission. There is some on ebay Ive been looking at. But I have to use the stock clutch equipment. Has anyone got a good website for a new trans or decent used ones for our cars? While its out I want to replace the clutch with a stage 1 unit from summit racing because mine now is so so. Is there anything else I should replace while the trans is out? Let me know what you guys think.

88LXi68
12-12-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't know any sites with rebuilt new ones, but you can try www.car-parts.com for a used one.

I would replace the rear main seal while you have the transmission off and maybe find a lighter flywheel if they are available.

bank2me
12-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks 88LXi so what is the advantage of a lighter flywheel? Just more power?

2ndGenGuy
12-12-2008, 10:03 AM
No they add zero power. Might free up maybe 1-2hp on a dyno, but you will probably not feel a difference. However, it does make the car rev faster for better shifting.

2oodoor
12-12-2008, 10:19 AM
;While it does help you prepare mentally by doing these things "on paper" there is nothing like just studying the basic transmission remove/install techniques for any front wheel drive car and applying them here.
I would not suggest buying any "new" transmissions for a 20 year old Honda that no company is really keeping on the shelf.
There are plenty of threads on this and if you run into an unusual problem do not hesitate to add to another thread on the same topic, or whatever.

The best thing to do is buy one used with at least a 60 day warrenty, and get it installed as soon as you buy it. I can get them here all day long for 50 bucks, buyer removes them. http://www.pullapart.com/

bank2me
12-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Ok roodoo I went to pullapart.com and the site doesnt give me much info. How do I find out if they have a transmission for my car? I dont live near the locations so do they ship parts or what?

2oodoor
12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
no, but you might want to look in the phone book there, maybe a similar business around you. No they do not ship as far as I know. Those prices are you pull it.
The beauty of that to is you get to practice removal on another car. I can tell you already that one of the hardest parts IMO is all those little brackets and wire cable holders and crap that have nothing to do with the transmission but are attached around access to it.
http://www.pullapart.com/Inventory/SearchDetail.aspx looks like they just got one in Indianapolis a few days ago, dont know how far you are from that one.

cygnus x-1
12-12-2008, 05:24 PM
You're actually not all that far from me. Probably the closest yards to you will be Madison and then Milwaukee. Check your phone book for a local place. I'm sure one of them will have something that will fit. The pull it yourself places will be far cheaper, and you can get an idea of what will be needed to do the swap. I visit the local yard fairly often in the summer just to check stuff out and see what they have. If you really get desperate the Pick-n-Pull in Wadsworth IL always has at least 5-10 3gs. They have lifts and wheelbarrows you can use too. It's kind of a haul though, 150 miles each way. You might wait until spring if you want to pull one yourself, it's sucks doing that stuff when it's below freezing.

You might also ask the guys at the local NAPA which yards are the best around. Forget Autozone and those kinds of places. Those guys usually can't find their own ass without the computer.

What's wrong with your tranny that you want to replace it anyway? You're not guaranteed to get a better one at a junkyard.

C|

bank2me
12-12-2008, 05:49 PM
I was thinking about replacing it in the spring. My trans now has a chatter to it, and when I push in the clutch it goes away. I'm just not sure how much longer the current tranny will last in this cold weather.:rocket::rice:

codyJDM
12-12-2008, 06:11 PM
That is just your throwout bearing, you don't have to replace your entire transmission over that lol

MessyHonda
12-13-2008, 10:47 AM
you can go all out like i did.

lighten flywheel, stage 3 clutch, rebuilt trans with integera gears, custom short shifter, new axles then to get the power to the ground i got new rims with wider tires...it was not cheap but worth it when you shift into 2nd gear and pull on civics or even escalades

bank2me
12-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Hey Cody I think if it was the throwout bearing it would chatter when the clutch is pressed in, but if it was just that Id be like fuck yea man and just put in new clutch gear. Sounds like a righteous setup messy.:321:

cygnus x-1
12-15-2008, 09:19 AM
I was thinking about replacing it in the spring. My trans now has a chatter to it, and when I push in the clutch it goes away. I'm just not sure how much longer the current tranny will last in this cold weather.:rocket::rice:

Could still be a clutch problem though. Can you feel the chatter through the pedal?

C|

bank2me
12-15-2008, 11:15 AM
No I cant feel the chatter. Im going to look today for junkyards in madison and see if they will let me pull one.

bank2me
12-22-2008, 11:57 AM
The chatter was just when the trans was cold now it does the chatter all the time except for when I push in the clutch. I need a new trans bad.