PDA

View Full Version : Jan 09 new cat rules

johnnygo
12-14-2008, 03:34 PM
For those of us in california without obd updates on our cars it would be best to buy and install a new cat now. After the new year it will be against the law for any muffler shop to sell or install a cat without a o2 sensor in it wether or not your car is obd compliant and the new cats are over twice as much for our cars.:jaw:

Civic Accord Honda
12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
O_O fail state fails again

lostforawhile
12-14-2008, 05:51 PM
For those of us in california without obd updates on our cars it would be best to buy and install a new cat now. After the new year it will be against the law for any muffler shop to sell or install a cat without a o2 sensor in it wether or not your car is obd compliant and the new cats are over twice as much for our cars.:jaw:thats probably a cat that had one originally 0bd2 cars have sensors in the cats, they can not add existing emissions to a car that has all it's emissions gear. find me the law so i can report it to SEMA

Dr_Snooz
12-15-2008, 06:55 AM
And please maintain your cars properly, using good fluids so you don't end up needing a cat in the first place.

snoopyloopy
12-15-2008, 06:41 PM
yeah, how the hell will they know anyway? i needa call up the idiot who made that one. i OBSERVE 30 mpg combined in a car that has an epa estimate of 28 mpg highway and they won't let me get a new cat? ridiculous.

Rendon LX-i
12-15-2008, 06:44 PM
man cali is strict i tell ya but they shouldnt be putting rules like that on a car like are's...like for example if you have a 78 chevy it dont require emissions for since it old skool well shit are accord is old skool give us a break lol...

lostforawhile
12-15-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't believe that they can make you add a cat with O2 sensors to a car that doesn't require them factory. I think they are talking about obd2 cars,they have an extra o2 sensor to show if the converter is working properly. people are hollowing out the cats and adding a resistor and a voltage signal to fool the computer.

Oldblueaccord
12-16-2008, 12:04 PM
When do our cars go exempt or do they ever ? Just curious.

wp

turabaka
12-16-2008, 03:12 PM
When do our cars go exempt or do they ever ? Just curious.

wp

Depends on the state. I know in Idaho it's 25 years for classic tags, and that's the only way to become emissions exempt here.

lostforawhile
12-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Depends on the state. I know in Idaho it's 25 years for classic tags, and that's the only way to become emissions exempt here.
i've been exempt for years except in Atlanta, and once i hit 25 i'll be exempt there for good.

MessyHonda
12-16-2008, 07:03 PM
i put in a new cat 2 years ago in my car...when the b20 drops in ima put a new one again because my a20 runs rich and i bet its plugged up

Strugglebucket
12-20-2008, 03:20 AM
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/ftp/pdfdocs/ARSC-summer08.pdf
Here is the BAR newsletter for summer 2008.

It doesn't say anything about pre-obdII cars requiring different cats, in fact it specifically says that all O.E. cats will still be legal. Aftermarket cats will now have to have a CARB exempt number stamped on them in order to be legal for sale in California. I suppose it is possible that no aftermarket, pre obdII cat manufacturers get approved for CARB exempt status, but that seems unlikely given the quality of modern cats and what must be a larger market for replacement in older cars.

The main change is that they're closing a loophole that allowed aftermarket cats to be sold and installed in obdII cars without having o2 sensor provisions. Also, they're making the sale of used cats illegal, which i guess already took effect in July.

Strugglebucket
12-20-2008, 03:35 AM
Leash laws are also changing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/luby555/cat.jpg

lostforawhile
12-20-2008, 06:31 AM
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/ftp/pdfdocs/ARSC-summer08.pdf
Here is the BAR newsletter for summer 2008.

It doesn't say anything about pre-obdII cars requiring different cats, in fact it specifically says that all O.E. cats will still be legal. Aftermarket cats will now have to have a CARB exempt number stamped on them in order to be legal for sale in California. I suppose it is possible that no aftermarket, pre obdII cat manufacturers get approved for CARB exempt status, but that seems unlikely given the quality of modern cats and what must be a larger market for replacement in older cars.

The main change is that they're closing a loophole that allowed aftermarket cats to be sold and installed in obdII cars without having o2 sensor provisions. Also, they're making the sale of used cats illegal, which i guess already took effect in July.all people will do is put in the cats with 02 sensors and plug the sensor holes or just won't have the sensors actually connected to the computer. stupid useless law designed to make cat manufactures money

lostforawhile
12-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Leash laws are also changing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/luby555/cat.jpgdoes that cat have 02 sensors?

Vanilla Sky
12-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Yup, it sure does. If it doesn't sense oxygen for 2 minutes, it dies.

AccordB20A
12-20-2008, 01:32 PM
but my cat doesnt seem to convert anything, maybe it needs to be replaced.

lostforawhile
12-20-2008, 01:59 PM
but my cat doesnt seem to convert anything, maybe it needs to be replaced.mine converts squirrels to cat shit

johnnygo
12-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I demand a video of this last post!

lostforawhile
12-22-2008, 04:46 PM
I demand a video of this last post!i already cleaned up the beheaded squirrel carcasses

OldSkoolA20accord
12-22-2008, 04:51 PM
i love living in tennessee. all i have is a glasspack and a fart can. lol

gfrg88
12-23-2008, 10:16 AM
meh, i've never had cats in any of my cars.. so does this count for me too :kekeke:

Strugglebucket
01-25-2009, 01:35 AM
Right now, the big internet automotive parts sites are listing ALL their conveters as illegal for sale in California.

On Car-Sound's (Magnaflow) site, they have a listing of converters that meet the new California pre-OBDII requirements: http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universalCARB/360.asp

No one seems to have them yet. Most likely they're the same old converters, but now they have a giant C.A.R.B. stamp on them and cost twice as much. And the whole "Application look-up" makes no sense at all. Seems as though there was some serious fine print sewn into this legislation.

paul
01-25-2009, 05:16 PM
While the topic's at hand, just keep in mind messing with emissions equipment (i.e. removing your cats) is a violation of fed. law and can be enforced in all 50 states regardless of what your home state does vis-a-vis inspections...

Strugglebucket
01-25-2009, 05:38 PM
http://www.torrnet.com/TPD/14622.htm