PDA

View Full Version : replaced bypass hose, now having trouble.

LXrocks
12-16-2008, 06:45 AM
Ok so I just replaced the lower heater hose and the coolant bypass hose on our car but now I am having trouble with the car. after I got it back to gather i started it and let it run for a little while and it seamed to run fine. after a short time i tried taping the gas to get the engine to run slower and i heard what sounded like the car starting to backfire and then it slowed down. i taped the gas again and it made the sound again but this time it sped back up to where it was before and it did this a couple times until i just let it idle at the slower speed for a short time before turning it off. maybe a hour later i took it out for a drive near our house and it seamed like it was running fine so i took it for a short drive on a kind of windy road near our place and this is where i found two new problems. first the car overheated but i think that was my fault because i was in sort of a hurry and never rechecked the coolant level and i made it home ok with the heater on full blast. the other problem is that every time i would come to a stop the engine would run slower and slower. it never stalled but i kept it on the gas a little. when i would try to accelerate after stopping the engine sat there and hardly did a thing for a second and then it would speed up. I'm guessing something with the vacuum system right? I'm pretty sure i put everything back to gather right but then again i'm not perfect. while i had everything apart and i was waiting for the one hose to come by UPS i cleaned some of the engine bay and i might have gotten some water in one or two of the vacuum hoses by mistake, could this be causing the vacuum system to act up? i am probably going to check all of the lines again since i put everything back to gather after dark with two flashlights and i could have missed something. any ideas or thoughts?

Oldblueaccord
12-16-2008, 11:49 AM
One thing you need to do is bleed the coolant. There is a bleed screw on the thermostat housing. There is a procedure written here give the search a shot.

wp

bank2me
12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Oldblue is right man take the bleed screw by the thermostat housing while the car is running and some air should come out then it will prolly bubble coolant a bit then close it. The bleed screw looks like a brake caliper bleed screw. Let me know when you do this.

LXrocks
12-18-2008, 06:01 AM
well it turns out it was really low on coolent. i added coolent and bled it and took it for a drive and it ran fine (the cooling system did anyway). it still wants to stall when i come to a stop though and i kind of want to try to fix it today because it looks like we are going to get 6 to 10 inches of snow tomorrow.

LXrocks
12-19-2008, 05:20 AM
found the problem. I hooked up the number 16 and 19 vacuum lines the wrong way.

bank2me
12-19-2008, 05:25 AM
She run good now? Were do u live man you must be near me 6-10 inches of snow were gettin here.

LXrocks
12-19-2008, 06:17 AM
She run good now? Were do u live man you must be near me 6-10 inches of snow were gettin here.

It is running better, still idles low when it is sitting with it in gear, even lower with the headlights on. I live in eastern PA, less then 10 miles from the Pocono Raceway and it just started to snow here about half a hour ago.