PDA

View Full Version : 86 LXi Problem

314lxiSleeper
12-18-2008, 09:19 PM
i have a 86 honda accord lxi ,When im driving sometimes the car starts loosing power , and sputtering on me , i ve replaced the spark plugs , wires , the battery cables and the battery its self ..what else could it be ? the car has no trouble starting up or no idle troubles neither it only does this when i drive a long distance . the pgm-fi light comes on rite before the car finally dies as well ..i need help :mad::mad::mad:

alanizgod
12-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Do you always get your car to start up? I remember when I had a similar problem it turned out to be my alternator...but it got to the point where my car would just drop dead and wouldn't start at all

314lxiSleeper
12-19-2008, 12:23 AM
yea i do

bank2me
12-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Did you get it fixed man? Id maybe say alternator kickin the bucket maybe?

Dr_Snooz
12-29-2008, 08:19 PM
What is the PGM-FI code?

314lxiSleeper
12-30-2008, 08:33 AM
There is on pgm-fi code comming up . the car dies after driving a long distance . it looses all power . there is somthing wrong with my charging system.

bank2me
12-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Take it to autozone and have it the charging system tested.

russiankid
12-30-2008, 01:16 PM
If its your charging system, how can the car build up enough juice to run later on after it dies? If it dies then your battery is dead too.

syclinsam
01-15-2009, 07:38 AM
When you mean power are you talking about engine power, electrical (lights, radio etc.) or do you mean everything just goes dim and dies?

replacing my alternator took care of a couple problems, rough idle, dim lights, squeling belt etc. I've read a couple different posts where a few different problems were solved by replacing the alternator. if its original or an older one it might be worth giving that a shot.

MessyHonda
01-15-2009, 11:19 PM
i would only replace the alternator if its not producing the 14.4v at idle....i added like 3 grounds to the engine bay after i replaced the alternator

sedanman
03-29-2009, 10:19 AM
i had the exact same problem. replaced the alternator and it went away, for about 15 minutes, i was driving down the road and i stepped on the brake pedal and the car died. Literally died. completely. so i got her onto a paved road and got her going about 20 with the key in the "on" position and popped the clutch. No go. wouldn't run to save my life. got her home and swapped out the battery out of my scort and she started right up and now runs and drives fine. battery had to have had a bad cell because it pulled ALL the power from the car. i'd say battery maybe, but your half sounds more like the alt.

-Nick