PDA

View Full Version : FI light on...WTF!!

alanizgod
12-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I just recently changed my spark plugs and wires out and now from time to time that damn PGM(?) Fi light keeps coming on. Its never done it before so I'm assuming it has something to do with that. The only thing I can note (and good for a laugh as well) is that I never gapped the plugs...so I gotta take them out and handle that. Regardless I want to know if anyones ever had the same problem...and don't ask me why I didn't gap them! lol I really can't give a good answer to save my own ass if I tried haha

A18A
12-18-2008, 09:44 PM
what code is it throwing?

ghettogeddy
12-18-2008, 09:46 PM
YOU MAY WANT TO LET HIM KNOW HOE TO CHECK IT LOl

alanizgod
12-18-2008, 09:50 PM
All I'm getting is the light on my cluster...not sure about anything else. All I can say is that i just recently changed the plugs out and the light comes on about once every other day. I've noticed too that the engine seems to smell a bit more "gasey" after I've been driving it around a bit. I'm hoping gauging the plugs properly will get rid of the problem.

ghettogeddy
12-18-2008, 09:54 PM
list of codes
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185

the light is under the driver seat on the ecu in the back
there shoudl be a lil window you have to pop out

code flash constant so you have to catch it right 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

alanizgod
12-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Will it only flash at the time the light comes on?

Demon1024
12-19-2008, 01:09 AM
yes and leave it running when it does. it wont show when off :(

Nafs Asdf
12-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Wrong, when you get the CEL light the code will keep flashing until you reset the ecu (mine does at least) . Just turn on the ignition (don't have to start the car), then look under and behind the seat and count the flashes. It will repeat the code with a small pause in between. If you have more than one error it will remember up to three and repeat those.

Might also be good to reset the ECU and drive 'til the light comes on and check the code again, to be sure the code is fresh. To reset the ECU just remove the fuse for it or disconnect the battery for a while.

Demon1024
12-19-2008, 02:01 AM
there is something wrong with 2 of my cars then :(

Civic Accord Honda
12-19-2008, 02:08 AM
yeah my 3g and legend both flashed with the light on or off .. and would keep repeating the code

Demon1024
12-20-2008, 12:05 AM
mine doesn't always store the codes. when the vss in mine went out i had to set it off again to check the code

A18A
12-20-2008, 01:20 AM
probably depends on what the error is, i think some times the ecu doesn't know something's faulty till it needs info from it, which could be when you're done driving for a while, like ours, with the VSS

Demon1024
12-20-2008, 02:20 AM
doesn't that mean it doesn't actually store them? i had this ? once before i think with no follow up. and how many codes can you throw (ecu knows it's not working) without running the motor? and why wouldn't honda make it store them? just venting my irritation cause i would think it should store them

Strugglebucket
12-20-2008, 02:38 AM
The ecu will always store any code(s) until it is reset.

Unless you've got some strange wiring job that's removing power from the ecu when you shut off the ignition (but that's pretty unlikely).

Oldblueaccord
12-23-2008, 09:07 AM
I dont know if the minor codes will store. But anyway on/off ECU light sounds like the EGR couple you guys had the same thing I think.

Get the code it will tell you what is wrong and we will go from there.

Also record your fuel mileage for a few tanks of gas.

wp