PDA

View Full Version : Considering adding on a sub...

alanizgod
12-18-2008, 10:02 PM
I currently have 1 10" Type R and was thinking about adding another. I'm not sure if it's worth doing in regards to whether it even makes a significant difference or not. Reason being driving on the freeway really muffles out the sound coming from the trunk...so I wanted to give it a little more boom so I could enjoy it more. I figure adding a switch to it to turn it off while I'm on the roads would do nicely

ghettogeddy
12-18-2008, 10:14 PM
well first what kind of box are you running is it sealed, ported, slot ported, bandpass lol also witch way is it facing

alanizgod
12-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Sealed facing towards the trunk.

ghettogeddy
12-18-2008, 10:41 PM
umm before you go out and buy a 200 buck sub i woudl try a slot port box you might just nut your pants lol

alanizgod
12-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Well from what people have told me with the music I listen too sealed is the best way to go. I'm a huge metalhead so I need that good response...I've been told ported makes it sexy boomy but lacks in precision. Either that I've been lied to! Should I consider it anyway?

ghettogeddy
12-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Well from what people have told me with the music I listen too sealed is the best way to go. I'm a huge metalhead so I need that good response...I've been told ported makes it sexy boomy but lacks in precision. Either that I've been lied to! Should I consider it anyway?

your talking to one of the biggest metal heads lol i runa infinty 1052w in a slot port

now there is a huge differance between a reg round port and a slot port and from what i can tell is a slot port is kind in between a sealed and rpund ported so you get the best of both worlds in my opinion
i had a type r 10 in my old lx and i also had a dual 10 slot port and i belive the sonys that were in the slot port hit harder

and i mean i listin to fn mostly machine gun bass lol so

alanizgod
12-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Haha hell yea! Alright I'll try it out...I have a buddy who just bought a slotted box fitting a 10" punch amp so I'll do a swap and see the difference. Its a pain to get the right tuning to all the metal tho...going from clean blast beats to slightly muffled ones. I'll see how it goes tho

ghettogeddy
12-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Haha hell yea! Alright I'll try it out...I have a buddy who just bought a slotted box fitting a 10" punch amp so I'll do a swap and see the difference. Its a pain to get the right tuning to all the metal tho...going from clean blast beats to slightly muffled ones. I'll see how it goes tho

as far as tuning goes your always gona be adjusting things
bass level trebal gain im constantly tweaking my settings there is no end lol each song is different

alanizgod
12-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Do you use the headunit tuner or do you have another more custom one? I have a sony head unit (for the DSO it works great) and I can get it tuned pretty well but I'd like to have another tuner to tweak it further.

ghettogeddy
12-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Do you use the headunit tuner or do you have another more custom one? I have a sony head unit (for the DSO it works great) and I can get it tuned pretty well but I'd like to have another tuner to tweak it further.

you can add a 7 band graphic eq they can be a pain to tune sometimes but youc an tune it alot faster once you learn it

codyJDM
12-19-2008, 03:42 PM
I am jamming death metal/hardcore 24/7 in my car and I have a JL 12" in a sealed box and it is punchy as hell/precise, and still deep at the same time. I think it is the perfect setup for a hatch, but idk what would be ideal for a sedan.

ghettogeddy
12-19-2008, 04:08 PM
I am jamming death metal/hardcore 24/7 in my car and I have a JL 12" in a sealed box and it is punchy as hell/precise, and still deep at the same time. I think it is the perfect setup for a hatch, but idk what would be ideal for a sedan.

do you have the trunk spacer in the lil back part

codyJDM
12-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I have both hatch covers

ghettogeddy
12-19-2008, 04:37 PM
I have both hatch covers

hmmm have you ever tried a slot port back there you might be supprized as well

Hauntd ca3
12-19-2008, 05:45 PM
as far as tuning goes your always gona be adjusting things
bass level trebal gain im constantly tweaking my settings there is no end lol each song is different

so you're a fiddler then eh geddy
what you do is buy a headunit that has a bunch of user programmible eq's and set each one up different.
i use 2 jbl 102gt subs in a small sealed box and they work great for most music.
ported boxes i find sound just a good as a sealed box but the box size and port have to be spot on or you stuff the tuning of the box or get port noise and dead speakers.so be wary if going this way. get bass box pro so you can get the box design and port right withoput experimenting to much
sealed boxes only have to be close to recomended size to give a good result so tend to be the way most people go

ghettogeddy
12-19-2008, 07:16 PM
so you're a fiddler then eh geddy
what you do is buy a headunit that has a bunch of user programmible eq's and set each one up different.
i use 2 jbl 102gt subs in a small sealed box and they work great for most music.
ported boxes i find sound just a good as a sealed box but the box size and port have to be spot on or you stuff the tuning of the box or get port noise and dead speakers.so be wary if going this way. get bass box pro so you can get the box design and port right withoput experimenting to much
sealed boxes only have to be close to recomended size to give a good result so tend to be the way most people go

ya def lol constantly changing my levels lol

AccordB20A
12-19-2008, 08:57 PM
me and my mate jonno have identical subs and identical boxes, both 12" pioneer subs in a bass box pro tune slot ported box.

The way to make it go nice and loud is to make the sub fire against something like the bootlid at the back of the car, also having the bass boost on the amp off and the head unit set to flat and you play with the amp's low pass level. thats what the pros do i belive.

ghettogeddy
12-19-2008, 09:04 PM
me and my mate jonno have identical subs and identical boxes, both 12" pioneer subs in a bass box pro tune slot ported box.

The way to make it go nice and loud is to make the sub fire against something like the bootlid at the back of the car, also having the bass boost on the amp off and the head unit set to flat and you play with the amp's low pass level. thats what the pros do i belive.

what do you mean byt the boot lid like facing up or towards the tail lights

Hauntd ca3
12-19-2008, 09:33 PM
i think he means corner loading.
its an old hatchback trick.
fire the subs backwards and you effectively get 2 reversion waves whe it bounces back toward the front of the vehicle.
if all you are after is spl, tune the box to the cars resonant freq, then using basic math you can figure out how and where to mount the sub so the sound wave peaks right at where your ear is.
the pros use a pink noise track and a 1/3 oct analyser and tune the stereo to get the response curve they want.

ghettogeddy
12-19-2008, 09:57 PM
fire the subs backwards and you effectively get 2 reversion waves whe it bounces back toward the front of the vehicle.
if all you are after is spl, tune the box to the cars resonant freq, then using basic math you can figure out how and where to mount the sub so the sound wave peaks right at where your ear is.
the pros use a pink noise track and a 1/3 oct analyser and tune the stereo to get the response curve they want.

ya ive always point the face of the sub towards the trunk seeing as bass dosent travel from the from of the sub but out through the back of the box

alanizgod
12-19-2008, 10:28 PM
you can add a 7 band graphic eq they can be a pain to tune sometimes but youc an tune it alot faster once you learn it

Yeah I'll probably end up getting one of those...all I do for now is use each equalizer preset on my headunit tuned for the variations of the type of metal i listen to. Like one would be for death...another for black...usually any preset works well for thrash and just about everything else is so wide ranged its a pain in the ass to get it correct for anything. I just finished giving all my speakers enough juice so I get to feel the guitar riffs (especially palm muted stuff) which is pretty awesome :rockon:

alanizgod
12-19-2008, 10:31 PM

Wow holy shit thats too complicated for me lol...I think I'll start by moving all my crap out of the trunk. I have too much shit in there...I think its kinda killing the vibes I'm assuming by transferring the vibrations throughout whatever's laying back there. After I'll just move the sub around until I think it sounds best.

Steve_Si
12-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Thought of trying some dynamat?

But yes, add another sub you will not regret it.

2 * 10" Type-R subs in a sealed box firing to the rear of the car (not in too the back of the rear seat) will sound very good. You'll be wanting to give each one at least 400w RMS. 500+ would be ideal.

Low_Rida
12-25-2008, 09:15 AM
I dont get the same vibes in the trunk as what i had in my old hatch backs, my golf and my civic shook your eye balls but thats because i was over powering 2 10 inch memphis subs with a 1,000 watt kenwood amp with home-made fuses so they wouldn't blow haha.

89sei89dx
12-25-2008, 03:00 PM
put ur alpine in a 1.5 squre ft box.or so. and put it in the driver side corner of the trunk facing the passenger side. it will sound good. also use the sealled box it will sound about the same aas any ported box in volume but so much better on any llow frequency. i used to haaave this set up in mmy sedaan aaand it waas bad ass. if it aint lloud enough for u get 2 of the type rs. aan put them in a box in between rear wheels facing the baack. i allso cut out behhind the armrest in the back seat. soi could put the armres downand the bass would come out of that. i also had pot a couple of cheap 4 around 6 in llong ports in the back deck it hellped bass allot. and i got one of the 60/40 folld down seats that fold one side or the other or both down aand u can put one or both of them down aand the bass will be louder in the car. i haad a power 1000bd rockford amp hooked up to my r and it was like hallf up on gain and gain turned at like -6 on pioneer stereo. it was bad. butt then i got a 15 square kicker and it was llouder and sounded as good as i wanted,. still put it in a 2 sq box in driveres side corner and was badddd. aallso power 1000bd on that. but ported is ok especiallly slot but sealled would be better quality sound. all around. and before i get told off .. year allpine says no sealed boxes but i didnt have any warrenty and tried all options and sealed was way better and i had no probs withh the sub for over a year in the sealed box. it didnt blow it didnt rip or get old lookin. now i got a custom alpine type r 18 in my haatch and it is the baddest sub i ever had and at one time i had 6 kicker square 15s. 4 jl aaudio 15s( that were baad ass). 4 orion intense 15s. 4 infinity 12s perfects. off a 1500d mtx(bad baad ass amp). and so many other top brands aall at variouse times not all at the saame time. not tryin to brag i just like the bass to rip my face off . every time. aalways run off good power. what kind of amp are u runnin. cause if u got a cheaap amp u could haave the baddest sub and it will still sound weak. ... and a good paarametric equuilizer. willl do so much good

89sei89dx
12-25-2008, 03:10 PM
sorry for the blah blah bllah. i used to listen to alot of rap but listento alot of hard metal now and olldies. a bunch of everything accept country. ur alpine will sound better than 2 sonys or some other cheap shit. sorry but every sony i ever had was crap. also distortion is what blows ur speaker not power. and if u can get a clean signal with no distortion u can put allot more power into the sub than what it saays. and it will hit alot harder with the extra power on those noisy roads. just dont distort it and it willl handle power all day in excess of what its rated. ive tested that on alot of speakers. i put 1000 rms off my rockford power 1000bd to a pioneer 12 for llike 6 8 months clean signal sounded so frakin awesome considerin i paid 75 bucks for the speaker braand new. pioneer will beat a rockford or kicker round 12 anyday if u hook it up and adjust it right hits as low , as lloud as either of two and lasts alot longer .aftere that period of bump i stopped using the speaker and put my kicker 15 in the car then i reconed the pioneer to an 18. and haave pounded the shit out of it since then still goin strong for like 2 to 3 years now. and aas bad ass as my kicker 15 square. now ....i got pics and video to prove if any are non bellievers