PDA

View Full Version : ebay rebuild kit. what ya think?

OldSkoolA20accord
12-20-2008, 09:47 PM
what do you guys think about the rebuild kits for sale on ebay?

Rendon LX-i
12-20-2008, 09:54 PM
umm thats what i got. and still running strong and boosted. It all depends what your going for and what kind of build your aiming at man. I wasnt planing to boost at all. But shit my motor is handling so well i had to and now its taking it like a champ. Just make sure its done right the First time and double check your shit. I didnt do a couple things rite and i just went back and did it again. Are you looking for a OEM rebuild cuz thats what the ebay is for.

OldSkoolA20accord
12-20-2008, 10:04 PM
yea man just the oem rebuild. I dont know if you read my other thread but im gonna try to find a thinner head gasket, run quad carbs(yamaha r1), stage 3 cam, ported head, making my own header, and later on direct port nitrous.

with a msd ignition of course.

Rendon LX-i
12-20-2008, 10:39 PM
That should be fine then. easy

OldSkoolA20accord
12-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Do you have powersteering? im considering getting rid of it.

Rendon LX-i
12-20-2008, 10:56 PM
yeah i do still i removed the ac thou. I just kepted it shit aint that heavy and i want to steer with one finger still lol. But if you want it off make sure you loop the hoses when you remove the pump. Why you may ask. Is cause the pump also runs your speedo gear so i would do that but i aint sure but thats what ive read and heard on the forum couple of times.

OldSkoolA20accord
12-20-2008, 11:10 PM
ill probably just keep it. im going to try to get a billet alumnium crank pulley made gonna make it to keep the powersteering but not a/c. then after thats done im gonna get a water pump pulley made. and then alternator.

Rendon LX-i
12-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Thats cool man. post pics and progress

OldSkoolA20accord
12-20-2008, 11:16 PM
ok man. gotta talk to my machine shop first to see if it can be done.

but yea ill post up some pics later. got all the a/c stuff out. did you take out the box under the dash?

89sei89dx
12-21-2008, 01:20 AM
i took off the power steering and ac. all the llines n shit. condensor. but im not sure whats under the dash for ac. it gave me a lil more power , it felt like it did. noticable as shit. also i noticed thhe obviouse diifference when i took out p.s. but only for like a day and then i got used to it and it is still hella easy to drive only hard to turn if u are not moving. once u r going even llike 1 mph it steers hella easy.no probs withh the speedo from removing it tho. all is good annd ive tested my speed hellla times . its right on. and rendon.. the vids look sweet. but i still want to see the full 0 to like 90 100 vid. lookiin good tho .FAST. And the ac is like 50 #s. mine didnt work so i took it off

LX-incredible
12-21-2008, 08:14 AM
The topline kits supposedly only come with the lower compression A20A1 pistons. I would run the A3 pistons if you're so concerned with the compression. I haven't heard of any headgasket options for us, so you're most likely stuck with a stocker. Do let us know if you find something though.

Replacing the PS with a 2g manual rack was one of the best things I've done to the car. I had to weld 2g brackets in the 3g crossmember and weld up custom tie rod ends. There is a enormous difference in steering effort between a true manual rack and a "manualized" power rack. I would not recommend if you'll be using the power rack.

OldSkoolA20accord
12-21-2008, 08:31 AM
will a20a3 pistons work in the a20a1? one of my friends made a head gasket for his d-series civic out of a sheet of copper. It lasted about a year until he sold the car. dont know what happened after that. my friend also said they sell thinner headgasket for just about every car at autozone. isk ill have to check into it.

What i might do as far as powersteering just take the belt off to see how it is and if it isnt bad ill look into putting a manual rack on it. You should post a how to thread.

OldSkoolA20accord
12-21-2008, 07:32 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/27yd193.jpg
not lookin so good. :help:

Rendon LX-i
12-21-2008, 09:01 PM
ooo..no NOT good

carotman
12-22-2008, 06:44 AM
What's that bad exactly?

I would stay away from universal rebuild kits. Well, you can use all the parts from it except the crank/rod bearings. They have to be matched for your current engine.

OldSkoolA20accord
12-22-2008, 08:35 AM
What's that bad exactly?

I would stay away from universal rebuild kits. Well, you can use all the parts from it except the crank/rod bearings. They have to be matched for your current engine.

look at the number 1 piston

AZmike
12-22-2008, 09:35 AM
There is a enormous difference in steering effort between a true manual rack and a "manualized" power rack. I would not recommend if you'll be using the power rack.

Any power rack will function exactly like a manual rack once the pinion holder is immobilized and the piston on the rack is removed. I don't know of any one else here that has bothered to do both steps though. The only difference between the manual and power racks becomes the steering ratio. Somewhat more steering effort (~20%) is required for the converted power rack, but the amount of feedback is proportionally larger as well.

carotman
12-22-2008, 10:16 AM
look at the number 1 piston

Well, I still can't see anything except coolant on #4 piston (the one closest to the transmission) That coolant is normal since you took the head off.

OldSkoolA20accord
12-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Well, I still can't see anything except coolant on #4 piston (the one closest to the transmission) That coolant is normal since you took the head off.

I know. look at the number 1 piston. Its suppose to be up with number 4. but its not.

carotman
12-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Oh. LOL

I swear I checked everything for damage and every part of the picture but this HUGE thing didn't pop to my mind.

OldSkoolA20accord
12-22-2008, 10:38 AM
lol yea.

Im pulling it out tomorrow. cleaning everything and getting ready for the ls/vtec swap.