PDA

View Full Version : Pulsating lights, get dimmer gradually, then bright, repeat.

jdmaccordnut
12-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I was driving my accord home today, and on teh way home, the dash and the lights would gradually get dimmer... then POP back to full brightness for a few seconds, then grow dimmer over the next few minutes until they POPPED back to full brightness. This went on for 30-40 minutes, and was not affected to throttle input or anything else. Any ideas?

LX-incredible
12-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Are the headlights affected as well? Could be an alternator on it's way out or just the dimmer itself.

Civic Accord Honda
12-21-2008, 09:31 PM
my civics lights would flicker alot before the alt died.. it also has major wiring problems tho

evil88accordLX
12-21-2008, 09:38 PM
x2 on the alternator, possibly a short in the harness somewhere. mine had issues with the single wire on the post, not the plug in wires, and it was dimming like crazy and lighting up the battery light then would just go away. it did this for about a week until the battery was totally dead. i ended up splicing in a new wire and connector and it solved the problem. the original wire was sold old and deteriorated that it had actually broken inside the wire jacket and was shorting out as the car hit bumps and was under load.

jdmaccordnut
12-22-2008, 10:47 AM
When I wrote lights I meant headlights. Yes, everything gets dimmer, any light on the car, then POOF it's back to full brightness, then fades gradually.

This is NOT flickering, nor a short. It is not intermittent. It is FULL BRIGHT, fading like a gigantic capacitor for 30-45 seconds, then full bright again.

2oodoor
12-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I dunno, have you been getting enough sleep?

bauh hahahaa

jdmaccordnut
12-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah, wife saw it too.

84Accord
12-22-2008, 03:23 PM
check battery cable connections?

greentee76
12-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Mine does this alot from the alt. belt slipping in wet conditions. Mine is missing the splash shield for the belts, as are alot of 3gee's that I have seen.

jdmaccordnut
12-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Hrm, I'll try tightening my belts.

bluepunk18
01-19-2009, 06:53 AM
I'm starting to have a similar problem. The battery check light comes on, and stays on, whilst all the lights in and out of the car get dimmer. Somehow that battery light stays bright the whole time. Gradually it'll come back to full bright and the check light goes out. I'm hoping I'm lucky enough that its only a belt and not an alternator...I'm not looking forward to removing an axle in my drive in the snow...Thanks for posting this, there is always such helpful info!

bank2me
01-19-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm starting to have a similar problem. The battery check light comes on, and stays on, whilst all the lights in and out of the car get dimmer. Somehow that battery light stays bright the whole time. Gradually it'll come back to full bright and the check light goes out. I'm hoping I'm lucky enough that its only a belt and not an alternator...I'm not looking forward to removing an axle in my drive in the snow...Thanks for posting this, there is always such helpful info!

Hey man you shouldnt have to remove the axle just tilt the engine like I did to get it out. :beat:

bluepunk18
01-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Hey man you shouldnt have to remove the axle just tilt the engine like I did to get it out. :beat:

Thanks for the heads-up dude! Although I may just wuss out and let a garage do it. I'm not so mechanically inclined, plus I have limited tools and workspace. Which is to say, I have an icy, snow-filled driveway and basic hand tools. But thanks very much. Its great to find such a helpful resource.

bluepunk18
01-22-2009, 07:32 AM
So I'm replying to my own message. The shop said I needed a new battery and cables. Having installed these, my father-in-law paid for it *Thank you so much* only to have the same problem on the way home. So, I drove BACK to the shop, and they said now the alternator is junk. I suspect this was the problem BEFORE, and now they don't wanna confess...grrr...And I can't really afford to keep the car at this point, sadly...

MessyHonda
01-22-2009, 07:39 AM
mine does the same thing...im just waiting for the part store to open so i can go pick up my 3rd alternator.....i think my stereo is killing mine....i only have a 1300 watt stereo

bluepunk18
01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
mine does the same thing...im just waiting for the part store to open so i can go pick up my 3rd alternator.....i think my stereo is killing mine....i only have a 1300 watt stereo

Perhaps for you, one of those heavy duty alternator's would be best? I only have a crappy tape-deck in mine, and that can't possibly draw enough current to kill it...*shrugs*

AccordB20A
01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
sounds like its only the brushes in your alternator that are failing.

and yes my sound system likes to kill alternators aswell ive gone through over 10 of them, The regulators burn out.

I hate old alternators, some of them just die for no reason at all. Im thinking of installing a large output one from some other car

MessyHonda
01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
i just replaced mine this morn and now it charges at 14.2 volts...im happy...no more pulsating lights.

Dr_Snooz
01-23-2009, 07:48 PM
So I'm replying to my own message. The shop said I needed a new battery and cables. Having installed these, my father-in-law paid for it *Thank you so much* only to have the same problem on the way home. So, I drove BACK to the shop, and they said now the alternator is junk. I suspect this was the problem BEFORE, and now they don't wanna confess...grrr...And I can't really afford to keep the car at this point, sadly...

Huh? It sounds to me more like you can't afford to have incompetent mechanics working on your car. Learn to do your own wrenching. The manual is here:

http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php

It will show you everything you need to know to fix everything in your car. You can buy a decent set of tools and an alternator for less than these guys will charge you to screw up the next repair.

bluepunk18
01-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Huh? It sounds to me more like you can't afford to have incompetent mechanics working on your car. Learn to do your own wrenching. The manual is here:

http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php

It will show you everything you need to know to fix everything in your car. You can buy a decent set of tools and an alternator for less than these guys will charge you to screw up the next repair.

Thanks for the links! I was thinking the same thing myself...:uh: