PDA

View Full Version : bumbumbum another waterpump bites the dust

l75eya
12-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Heya guys, so my water pump just decided to vomit antifreeze everywhere.
I just some prices real quick the best deal I found so far was a GMB pump for like 42 bucks. Free shipping too I think. Was wondering if anybody else knows any better deals by chance? Or if anybody has any horror / success stories with GMB pumps?

Thanks in advance

-overheating in jersey = )

russiankid
12-22-2008, 03:37 PM
GMB is a good brand. If not GMB, go with Honda. I have a Honda pump in mine, put on about 15-20k on it so far without a single issue. My old one, which was some Autozone type pump, went at 30k.

Hauntd ca3
12-22-2008, 11:15 PM
gmb are good pumps
oem quality at least

LX-incredible
12-22-2008, 11:48 PM
GMB has a improved impeller design over stock that will last longer and move more water. I have nearly 80k on the one in the auto. Overtensioning the belt will greatly shorten the life of whatever you put in there.

l75eya
12-23-2008, 01:22 PM
hey everybody thanks for the replies. I think I'm most likely going to get a GMB pump from what you've all said. Next problem / question I had though, ...is it a real bitch to change the waterpumps our cars? It looks like an awfully tight squeeze so I'm worried whether I should bother doing it myself or just get it done. Any tips / magic tricks anybody could suggest?

johnnygo
12-23-2008, 01:32 PM
hey on ebay they sell those timing kits it includes gmb water pump and tensioner as well as valve cover gasket and grommets and accessory belts and of course a timing belt for like 104 bid or 107 buy it now free shipping.

l75eya
12-23-2008, 01:41 PM
hey on ebay they sell those timing kits it includes gmb water pump and tensioner as well as valve cover gasket and grommets and accessory belts and of course a timing belt for like 104 bid or 107 buy it now free shipping.

hey thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know they sold kits like that. I'll keep that in mind.

LX-incredible
12-23-2008, 03:16 PM

GMB tensioner, japan/paruit(sp) oem style water pump. Great kit though.

johnnygo
12-23-2008, 03:45 PM
You can choose the pump brand I asked the guy for the gmb pump and thats what I got.

LX-incredible
12-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Cool, I'll remember it next time. Thanks

MessyHonda
12-24-2008, 03:50 PM
yeah i heard they are not bad...i just went with honda pump...i also did the timing belt and other drive belts.

ecogabriel
12-27-2008, 04:54 PM
I bought a GMB pump when doing the timing belt on my wife's '96 Camry. It was made in Japan so I thought it should be good enough; 20k miles later I have no complaints.
I would definitely go for that for my Accord; pump is already making funny noises but I have to solve another issue first -a teeth-grinding vibration at idle.

Take a look at the link below; they charge shipping but their prices are competitive and the service is good. I did 90% of the buying for the Accord from those guys and I am happy with them
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

russiankid
12-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Changing it is easy. Remove the accessory belts and pulley. Then remove the upper timing belt cover and remove the bolts for the lower portion that are near the water pump. Have someone pry the cover away from the engine a little bit and that will make it easier to slide the pump out and slide the new one in. If you want, apply some sealant on the pump so the rubber gasket can stay put while you're sliding it into place. The bolts don't need to be torqued a lot.