PDA

View Full Version : Suspension overhaul but.............

AC439
12-22-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm planning to fix the worn suspension components. I know I need UCA/balljoints and struts. But due to the current poor economy, I have to do them in phases. I'd like to change out the UCA first, they have bad ball joints. The next phase I want to change out the struts.

I really hate taking apart ball joints and I don't want to do them twice. I will probably break them if I have to take them apart. So my question is: do I need to disconnect the UCA balljoint when removing front struts?

Thanks.
-AC

russiankid
12-22-2008, 06:40 PM
No. They aren't attached to each other in any way.

steveko
12-22-2008, 08:10 PM
By the way the upper ball joints are part of the A-arm there welded too it.

If you didn't already no this.

AC439
12-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks guys for replying. Yes, I'm aware that the UCA and ball joints are integrated. BTW, I read somewhere here that I need an offset wrench to take the nuts off the left side since it is kind of hiding under the wiper motor correct? How much time would I anticipate for the job? (I'm going to get a pickle fork to get the old ball joint off, never have any luck with hammer)
-AC

Dr_Snooz
12-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I've had good luck removing extraneous stuff around the bolt, using a socket extension and a swivel socket.

Kragen loans front end kits with all the tools you need to remove those ball joints. If you don't want to damage the boots with your pickle fork, just get the kit.

jdmaccordnut
12-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Do it all at once. Just save up.

jdmaccordnut
12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Kragen loans front end kits with all the tools you need to remove those ball joints.

Kraken?

http://www.deadmentellnotales.com/onlinetexts/potc/images/2kraken.jpg

ghettogeddy
12-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Kraken?

http://www.deadmentellnotales.com/onlinetexts/potc/images/2kraken.jpg

kragen, shucks. were are you located

ZeroLux
12-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Kragen on the east coast is known as Advance Auto I think. They have the same website. Hope that helps. The website is www.partsamerica.com and www.kragen.com.

Z

Oldblueaccord
12-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks guys for replying. Yes, I'm aware that the UCA and ball joints are integrated. BTW, I read somewhere here that I need an offset wrench to take the nuts off the left side since it is kind of hiding under the wiper motor correct? How much time would I anticipate for the job? (I'm going to get a pickle fork to get the old ball joint off, never have any luck with hammer)
-AC

I can use a long extension to get the top bolts on the drivers side. On the passenger side I have to move the MAP sensor out to get at them.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64456

post #6 i got a good deal on the UCA and so far with a grease fitting added they are working great.

wp

AC439
12-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys for information !

Yeah, I wish I can get all done at the same time but my funding is limited (especially with the current poor economy) so I just can't spend too much for everything. I'm pretty sure all my suspension components are stock original and the car has 256k miles and things are starting to fall apart. I do need to replace all struts so I'm thinking doing UCA with struts at the same time at the most and leave the LCA/ball joints later. So, I need to replace those that are more severely broken first. Not to mention that the car needs a new windshield (a crack) and a paint job (screwed up by Maaco).

-AC

jdmaccordnut
12-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Never go to Maaco. EVER.