PDA

View Full Version : 86 honda accord Charging System pbs

314lxiSleeper
12-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Can some one tell me the components if the charging system and how to trouble shoot it .

heres my problem:

i have a 86 honda accord lxi hatch , the car starts up fine and drives fine for a short distance , but he battery will not hold a charge. Ive replaced everything from the battery , to the battery cables and terminals, and the altinator,the ground wires so what could be the problem ???

i need help :pc:

Josh89accord
12-23-2008, 08:54 PM
You could have a short in your system. This could be anywhere. Get out your haynes mamnual and it will show you how to diagnose the problem.

Oldblueaccord
12-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Battery needs to be about 12.7 volts at rest. Car running it needs to be about 14 volts. The alt could charge up to 60 amps or so running. Also check all your conncections grounds etc. Rebuild/reman alts are a crap shoot. New batteries fail and usually do in the first 3 months. Bad odds to start with.

With a new battery and the stock Honda cable clamps the screws must be bottomed out to hold onto the battery posts tightly. The post have gotten smaller over the years I guess. The last 3 new batteries I have bought have had this besides an Optima.

wp