PDA

View Full Version : Rear drum brakes install tips?

1989accordaz
12-23-2008, 10:33 PM
I am having a hard time putting my brake shoes on a rear brakes. I have the new pads, but getting that upper spring in place is killing me.

Do you use c-clamps to keep the shoes from moving while putting the upper spring in place?

Any pointers are appreciated.

Rendon LX-i
12-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Put the pins and springs first. to hold the shoes in place then from there do the bottom spring then the top. i used a needle nose visegrip and just got tight on the top spring to connect it to the shoe was pretty easy. its a pain but youll get her done

jdmaccordnut
12-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Remove them, soak them in thinner, light them on fire, and throw them into a river.

Course... I hate drum brakes.

1989accordaz
12-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the tips Rendon LX-i, i ll give it a try tomorrow! One more thing, do you turn the " Adjuster Bolt" all the way in then open it once the upper spring is in place? It seems that will be easier to ge the damn spring in place.

I had to take a brake from it, otherwise I would have followed jdmaccordnut suggestion.

Rendon LX-i
12-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Thats why im geting rear disk swap. I hate drums gives your the knuckle buster lol

Oldblueaccord
12-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the tips Rendon LX-i, i ll give it a try tomorrow! One more thing, do you turn the " Adjuster Bolt" all the way in then open it once the upper spring is in place? It seems that will be easier to ge the damn spring in place.

I had to take a brake from it, otherwise I would have followed jdmaccordnut suggestion.

Run the adjuster bolt in (closed) it will help but just a little. What you can do on some drums is keep the shoes out to you hook the spring on bothsides and then drop it on the fixed pin/cylinder ontop and push the shoes where they need to go.Spreading the shoes will put tension on the spring. Have the nails ready to clip the shoes on. Thats where drum brake tools come in handy. I think on Hondas if you have the hub still on its really hard to do.Sorry I can't write it any better.
EDIT:

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/43-wheels-tires-brakes/207991-diy-drum-brake-shoe-replacement.html

I am google searching but haven't found a good one yet.

When you set the brake adjuster remember to run the brakeshoes out until you can just barely slide the drum on. When you turn the wheel you will here a hiss of them draggin. This will give you a rock hard pedal.

wp

MessyHonda
12-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Thats why im geting rear disk swap. I hate drums gives your the knuckle buster lol

you wont miss your drums....i did mine like 2 years ago and i love it...it stops better and while on the twisties it handles better...i can stop fast while turning.

Rendon LX-i
12-24-2008, 04:29 PM
its just finding a set its hard as hell man..once i get ahold of a set im getting it.

1989accordaz
12-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Just a follow up to close this thread:

I installed the pins and springs first to hold the shoes in place, I then installed the lower spring, then the adjusting bolt closed all the way in, then the rest of the springs and the last one was the upper spring, with a pair of long needle nose pliers. I did use a C-clamp on one shoe to keep it from moving away while stretching the upper spring.

To make it easier I did remove the hub to have better access to everything.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions, 3geez Rock!!:D

Rendon LX-i
12-24-2008, 07:38 PM
no prob man

Dr_Snooz
12-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Remove them, soak them in thinner, light them on fire, and throw them into a river.

Course... I hate drum brakes.

Wow man, I was reading your post thinking you were describing a way of re-annealing the brake spring. I thought, okay so you re-anneal it to restore the original properties making it more flexible...

It's late. I'm tired.