PDA

View Full Version : idle and engine light questions

Andagail
12-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi. Recently my car has been running funny. When I start up, the needle on the tachometer thing moves up and down between the 1 and the 2. It sounds like I am pushing the gas rhythmically a little bit. It stops after a while.

Second question: The day before yesterday the check engine light came on. It was only on for that one day. I was told to get some seafoam and put it in the gas.

I am still trying to get up the money to get my brother to work on other things, like the axles.

Any advice to pass along? I really don't understand cars, but I try. :huh:
Oh, I have an 89 LXi coupe fuel injected

Thanks, Andagail

Low_Rida
12-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi. Recently my car has been running funny. When I start up, the needle on the tachometer thing moves up and down between the 1 and the 2. It sounds like I am pushing the gas rhythmically a little bit. It stops after a while.

Second question: The day before yesterday the check engine light came on. It was only on for that one day. I was told to get some seafoam and put it in the gas.

I am still trying to get up the money to get my brother to work on other things, like the axles.

Any advice to pass along? I really don't understand cars, but I try. :huh:
Oh, I have an 89 LXi coupe fuel injected

Thanks, Andagail

How often do you get tune ups? it may be time for one.

Rendon LX-i
12-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Do a good tune up and IM pretty sure its your ICV "Idle Control Valve". Mine was dirty as hell just be carefull taking it apart OR you can just take the top 2 screws off and Turn it down to the idle is fine BUT. that gasket is old so if it breaks your fucked and you would have to get another one. Ive had this problem before so thats prolly what it is man. and if you dont know where your ICV is its the only Valve thats on the rear of the Plenum or people call it Intake Manifold. Hoped i helped

Rendon

Dr_Snooz
12-24-2008, 02:28 PM
The bouncing idle on injected cars typically is caused by two things. The first is low coolant. If it is low, you'll need to fill and then bleed the cooling system properly.

The second cause is a vacuum leak. It could be that your idle adjustment screw is out too far allowing too much air into the idle circuit. Try tightening that next. Otherwise, you'll need to check your vacuum lines individually for leaks.

Let us know what you turn up.

ecogabriel
01-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I would first check for vacuum leaks; a large enough leak would cause exactly the bouncing idle. Mine (86 LXi) had a vacuum leak in the power brake booster; I knew it was broken because I needed to press really hard for the brakes to work; plugging the hose going to it solved the bouncing idle.
MY ICV needed adjustment too; once the bouncing idle was gone the engine would idle way too high (but not bounce). All little things that need attention in old cars.
You may get a set of rubber plugs at any parts store. Remove vacuum hoses one at the time, plug it and see what happens.

TroyEcho
02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Okay if yours is the same as mine, you have to check under the driver side seat for a little box which is best to look at from behind, there will be a little plastic "door" that you open to see a flashing light, that will be the code for the check engine light and you should be able to get a generic Idea of what the problem is just by using everyone buddy Mr. Google.

As for the Surging Idle I am havng the same problem on mine at the moments and am in the process of getting this fixed. I originally thought it was the Idle air Control and cleaned that out but it seems it is not the problem. I work at a shop and the next thing recommended for me to do would be to unplug the TPS or THrottle position sensor, and when I did the car will default to a standard value and the Surging Idle stopped. so that appears to be problem with mine.. One thing with that is that Honda was brilliant in the way of designing this so that you couldn't replace just the Sensor. It is riveted into the Throttle body and the whole thing must be replaced. I called honda and it happens to be a cool $380 dollars. I got one off of ebay with tthe sensor for like 81 dollars and I will let you know how things go from here..