PDA

View Full Version : many problems

jamesh23
12-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Alright I have a 1988 honda accord 5 spd, with 250,000 miles on it. Clutch is good, everything runs. it needs a tune up for sure though, the car jerks and pulls a little to the right. here is a list of problems that need fixed, i'd like to do most of this on my own

1.driver side door doesnt lock
2.driver side door wont open from the inside sometimes
3.driver side window motor is going out
4.brakes squeak
5.power steering like whines sometimes
6.radio wont play certain cds lol
7.passenger door doesnt have a handle on the outside
8.muffler is rusting away, no rust anywhere else though
9.paint is chipping and faded
10.the part where the hood latch is? that plastic part under there is all busted
11.car squeaks when its running and you can smell burning rubber? belts?
12.needs a tune up, could I do it myself?
13.I think it might leak oil or something, I put in a quart 2 months ago and it was almost empty today
14. windshield wipers need replaced lol
15. battery wont hold a charge, went over this in another thread
16. headlights are dim
17. tires are bald

now of course some are obvious fixed, I like doing stuff myself however im only 16 so ya lol.

Dr_Snooz
12-24-2008, 09:44 PM
I had a car like this when I was 16. It was great. All I had to do was put gas, oil and money into it on a regular basis. I learned a lot about fixing cars because the thing was always broken.

I'd say think seriously about an exit strategy on this car. It's going to be nothing but problems for you. If you decide to keep it, we'll be here for you.

Good luck man.

Rendon LX-i
12-24-2008, 09:48 PM
lol oo boy you got alot to learn man...do what you can and have someone help you do it so you can learn. Or use that search button and see what other people have dont similar things as you have and copy.

Civic Accord Honda
12-24-2008, 09:51 PM
buy this
http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-ACCORD-SERVICE-MANUAL-1988-2ND-EDITION_W0QQitemZ270321936430QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270321936430&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
and then read it front to back and u will know how to fix everything on the car

one good thing about the 3g is its very easy to fix and once everything is fixed on it u will love driving it and love knowing that u can fix just about everything on the car and not have to worry about paying some jackass to fix it for you

Pico
12-24-2008, 09:56 PM
I'd say think seriously about an exit strategy on this car. It's going to be nothing but problems for you. If you decide to keep it, we'll be here for you.

Dont tell him to give up so quickly on the car, if we all did that when we first got our 3G's we would have nothing to write about on here.
I know at 16 money is tight , but you can learn alot from working on your own car, especially the 3G since aftermarket support is getting scarce.
This is a good car to learn from, and the pride you'll have when your done and say to yourself "WOW I DID IT"
Ok im done with self pride talk....

Oldblueaccord
12-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Well alotta of the things like bald tires etc your just gonna have to replace them if you want the car to be safe on the road.

As far as the oil the most important thing is it must be FULL all the time. You do not run it down to empty and then fill it back up.

The tune up and the battery replacement is something you could do your self with minimal tools and time if you have interest.

The door handle parts will nee to be sourced from a junk yard and those you can replace your self as well.

wp

lostforawhile
12-25-2008, 06:40 AM
sounds like a bunch of small problems. make a list of the small stuff that is broke,like door handles etc, then make a trip to a local junkyard and pick up all those small pieces. most of that stuff is to be expected in a car this old,and is something most of us have had to deal with. things like the radio not playing cd's, thats not really specific to the car, just a radio going bad. get a chiltons or a haynes manual,theres also an online manual on here you can download, and get to fixing. things like the wipers and battery, that could even happen to a newer car. I mean you could go to advance if you wanted and they will even install the wipers for you,same with the battery. These things are NOTHING, if you had a GM product of this era it would probably need a motor or transmission.

jamesh23
12-25-2008, 12:31 PM
I actually love my accord, but id rather have a 1987-1989 honda accord lxi 5 spd with four door and not a hatch with a lot less miles, Ive been trying to sell my car but I cant, no one wants it.

lostforawhile
12-25-2008, 12:41 PM
I actually love my accord, but id rather have a 1988-1990 honda accord lxi 5 spd with four door and not a hatch with a lot less miles, Ive been trying to sell my car but I cant, no one wants it.where are you anyway/ usually people on here jump on hatchs, anybody who knows these cars knows those are little minor problems, and the lxi would be 86-89 not 90

Dr_Snooz
12-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Dont tell him to give up so quickly on the car, if we all did that when we first got our 3G's we would have nothing to write about on here.
I know at 16 money is tight , but you can learn alot from working on your own car, especially the 3G since aftermarket support is getting scarce.
This is a good car to learn from, and the pride you'll have when your done and say to yourself "WOW I DID IT"
Ok im done with self pride talk....

Sorry guys. I don't mean to be a hater. It's a collection of small issues, but they point to a car that's been beat pretty hard. My guess is that there are a lot of big problems that have yet to manifest themselves. Remember, I'm speaking from personal experience here and I'm not going to say everything is great when my own history has taught me (painfully and expensively) otherwise.

James, with this car, I'd encourage you to make friends with the local junkyard (Pick-A-Part, Pick-N-Pull, etc.) Buy all your replacement parts from there. Spend as little on the car as possible. The only things you want to buy new are oils and filters. As things break, start every repair at the junkyard. You have an enormous amount to learn and you'll break a lot of stuff. If you break the cars at the yard, it's no big deal. If you break your own, then you get to figure out how to fix it before work the next morning. Get a cheap combo tool set from Kragen or Sears. That will get you through a lot of repairs initially. As you learn to wrench, you'll figure out what else you need. As you wear out the cheap tools, replace them with better.

Here is an '89 repair manual for download. The printed one is nicer but we want to keep your costs down. Don't attempt any repair without reading the manual's description of it twice. Visualize everything in your mind before opening your toolbox.

89 Manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php)

Also, here is a how to on getting frozen bolts free. It's really basic repair knowledge but it took me a long time to learn.

Freeing frozen bolts (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64355&highlight=rusted+bolts)

Anyway, like I said, we're here for you.

jamesh23
12-25-2008, 02:23 PM
where are you anyway/ usually people on here jump on hatchs, anybody who knows these cars knows those are little minor problems, and the lxi would be 86-89 not 90

oh sorry lol 86-89 or so, but im in new mexico, ive listed it on craigslist all over within 300 miles and no one emails or calls lol. I actually like the car, just it has too many miles and problems, I hope that year wasnt a lemon...

Oldblueaccord
12-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Well if its a NM car then I bet its rust free so it be worth it to someone looking for a hatch esp in the northern areas. I'm sure with some patience you can get it sold for a nice price.

wp

lostforawhile
12-25-2008, 04:48 PM
you need to post it here,take pictures,list any and all problems,put a link in your signature. rust free hatchbacks are hard to find,it will sell.

evil88accordLX
12-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Alright I have a 1988 honda accord 5 spd, with 250,000 miles on it. Clutch is good, everything runs. it needs a tune up for sure though, the car jerks and pulls a little to the right. here is a list of problems that need fixed, i'd like to do most of this on my own

1.driver side door doesnt lock
2.driver side door wont open from the inside sometimes
3.driver side window motor is going out
4.brakes squeak
5.power steering like whines sometimes
6.radio wont play certain cds lol
7.passenger door doesnt have a handle on the outside
8.muffler is rusting away, no rust anywhere else though
9.paint is chipping and faded
10.the part where the hood latch is? that plastic part under there is all busted
11.car squeaks when its running and you can smell burning rubber? belts?
12.needs a tune up, could I do it myself?
13.I think it might leak oil or something, I put in a quart 2 months ago and it was almost empty today
14. windshield wipers need replaced lol
15. battery wont hold a charge, went over this in another thread
16. headlights are dim
17. tires are bald

now of course some are obvious fixed, I like doing stuff myself however im only 16 so ya lol.

i also have a 88 model, 4 door with an auto. 280,000+ and still running strong. has some issues, but still runs well....

1. check the rod that goes from the key lock to the actual mechanism on the jamb
2. see #1
3. typical problem. and an easy fix
4. need replacing or new shims
5. feel lucky yours still works
6. stop using your cd's as sandpaper
7. get one from the junkyard. after doing #'s 1+2 this should be an easy fix
8. muffler shop, or learn to weld
9. car is 20 years old, its expected
10. junkyard again. a couple of screws gets it out
11. squeaking is probably belts. dont know about the burning rubber though
12. yes, tune ups are easy and save you lots of money if you do them yourself
13. are there drops or puddles in your driveway? can you smell oil burning? is there colored exhaust eminating from your rusted muffler?
14. get some silicone wiper blades. they will outlast the planet, let alone your car
15. hope the other thread helps you with this
16. try upgrading to some silverstars. mine are dim also, but i cant see at night anyhow
17. if on a budget, look for some good used ones. lots of tire shops sell them

this really is a great car to learn on. they are incredibly durable and can last for eons if you keep changing your oil and address any issues as they present themselves. keep in mind, the car is 20 years old so you will have to keep up with it. but as long as you do it should continue to get you from point A to point B without having to call C (a tow truck). good luck with the car.

jamesh23
12-26-2008, 01:51 AM
i also have a 88 model, 4 door with an auto. 280,000+ and still running strong. has some issues, but still runs well....

1. check the rod that goes from the key lock to the actual mechanism on the jamb
2. see #1
3. typical problem. and an easy fix
4. need replacing or new shims
5. feel lucky yours still works
6. stop using your cd's as sandpaper
7. get one from the junkyard. after doing #'s 1+2 this should be an easy fix
8. muffler shop, or learn to weld
9. car is 20 years old, its expected
10. junkyard again. a couple of screws gets it out
11. squeaking is probably belts. dont know about the burning rubber though
12. yes, tune ups are easy and save you lots of money if you do them yourself
13. are there drops or puddles in your driveway? can you smell oil burning? is there colored exhaust eminating from your rusted muffler?
14. get some silicone wiper blades. they will outlast the planet, let alone your car
15. hope the other thread helps you with this
16. try upgrading to some silverstars. mine are dim also, but i cant see at night anyhow
17. if on a budget, look for some good used ones. lots of tire shops sell them

this really is a great car to learn on. they are incredibly durable and can last for eons if you keep changing your oil and address any issues as they present themselves. keep in mind, the car is 20 years old so you will have to keep up with it. but as long as you do it should continue to get you from point A to point B without having to call C (a tow truck). good luck with the car.

ok on number one and two I have to remove the door panel on the inside right?

Civic Accord Honda
12-26-2008, 02:25 AM
I actually love my accord, but id rather have a 1987-1989 honda accord lxi 5 spd with four door and not a hatch with a lot less miles, Ive been trying to sell my car but I cant, no one wants it.
wait you have a hatch.. and you actually want a sedan!??!?! what is wrong with u! no offense or anything but most people here would love to own a hatch as there getting rare and sedans are all over

also thats not that many miles for an accord.. an American car of that time would most likely not even make it to 100K miles... there is some accords on here with 500K miles +!

jamesh23
12-26-2008, 09:24 AM
wait you have a hatch.. and you actually want a sedan!??!?! what is wrong with u! no offense or anything but most people here would love to own a hatch as there getting rare and sedans are all over

also thats not that many miles for an accord.. an American car of that time would most likely not even make it to 100K miles... there is some accords on here with 500K miles +!

lol im really just worried about the miles, but I might actually just keep it, its makin me feel good that everyone wants a hatch, I didnt think anyone did, thats why there were only afew.

lostforawhile
12-26-2008, 09:31 AM
lol im really just worried about the miles, but I might actually just keep it, its makin me feel good that everyone wants a hatch, I didnt think anyone did, thats why there were only afew.yep everything on that car can be fixed pretty easy. some of it like the tires are just normal worn out parts.

alanizgod
12-26-2008, 10:16 AM

Hey hey now Sedans are sexy too!

evil88accordLX
12-26-2008, 06:11 PM
ok on number one and two I have to remove the door panel on the inside right?

you sir are correct. numbers 3 and 7 are also done by first removing the inner door panel.

headbanger
12-27-2008, 05:10 PM
thats a fact

put up some pics of your hatch so we can check it out.

Civic Accord Honda
12-27-2008, 09:13 PM
haha i like sedans too my 3g was a Sedan and my step dad had a hatch and coupe so iv been in them all :) his hatch was my fav but i liked my sedan almost just as much

BTW the sedan in your sig looks very nice! :)

Hauntd ca3
12-29-2008, 12:10 AM
keep it if the body is still in good nick
you'll find just bout all the help you need here and they are an easy and fun car to work on
x3 on the sedans are sexy

rfiks
12-29-2008, 10:06 AM
get new doors, cut the power steering belt-off! check the archive for more info.

89sei89dx
12-29-2008, 10:44 AM
you dont have much to fix reallly. just llittle shit.it looks like u got a big list, but its a big list of stuff tats easy to fix. if it runs i say keep it. and fix it .u can ask on here or ...search, and we can help. hondas are so easy to work on it may take u a couple of months but after that u will start to learn how to work on hondas . and all that stuff will be easy fixin. does it run good other than squeaks n dead batteries. my battery kept dien and i figuered out after like 3 batts . it was my alt. allt went and then it killed battery for good. which killed 2nd alt.andthen 2nd battery thhen i figured out the prob was allt. fixed it . got new battery and thhen its been good since. (do not ever buy a battery from walll mart).. igot their biggest best battery and it leaked a week llater. so i took it back and they said it wasnt leaking. you could see it leaking. around thecaps. so they arguued with me for an houur and a half and then tested it... it was bad.. so they gave me another a lil different thhan what i had becouse they were out of mine. did the same thing two weeks later. . i wasdummb to get it thhere in the first place:argue:

bank2me
12-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Yea jamesh just try a compression test on the thing and get whatever u can at a junkyard man. One step at a time man. One step at a time. I love my hatch. Mine needed some work too I got er done. Just take your time n dont get frustrated. I used to alot. :beat:

jamesh23
12-29-2008, 12:20 PM
get new doors, cut the power steering belt-off! check the archive for more info.

cut it off? why? than i wont have any power steering right?

and yea it runs good when it starts.

Civic Accord Honda
12-29-2008, 01:58 PM
the 3g is really easy to drive without power steering and if there is a belt sqeeking most likely the power steering or ac is seezing up... try cutting the ac belt and make sure the power steering and alternator belts are tight and if it still squeeks cut the power steering belt lol

nswst8
12-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Put a clean sheet of card board under the car after your done driving for the day overnight.

Take a picture and post it so we can help you with the oil leaks. Also take a picture of the engine bay and post it.

1. Distributor O-ring
2. Valve cover gasket
3. Oil filter base gasket
4. Rear main seal
5. Crank seal
6. Oil pan gasket