PDA

View Full Version : 6x9's in the front??

alanizgod
12-29-2008, 12:23 AM
I need bigger speakers. My Polk's arent cutting it anymore and I wanted to switch out the stock size with the larger 6x9's but I don't really know how to go about it. I figure you could take the side panel off the door and just cut out a hole for the speakers but I don't know if that'll even work or not. If someone has done this lemme know b4 I get myself into trouble lol

Civic Accord Honda
12-29-2008, 12:28 AM
why? 6.5" speakers sound better. you dont want big speakers for bass up front anyway thats what a sub is for lol

AccordB20A
12-29-2008, 12:29 AM
lots and lots of effort and to be honest it still wont sound good. the doors are designed to make 5 inch or whatver speakers sound good.

if i were you i would add a sub and that should solve your problems

alanizgod
12-29-2008, 12:40 AM
I have a Type R in the back already...I just wanted to feel the mids more up front. I was considering buying another sub and setting it to a full range frequency to get the response but I'm not sure if that'll work. By "mids" I'm referring to things like guitar riffs...instead of just hearing them I wanna feel them as well =)

I figured too that having bigger speakers would give me that effect...I had a buddy of mine show me some 6x9 kickers(?) and I could feel them pretty well. In essence it doesn't do what a sub does but kinda gives the feel for mid frequencies.

Civic Accord Honda
12-29-2008, 01:31 AM
how are your door speakers hooked up? if there hooked up to the radio and not a amp thats why

ghettogeddy
12-29-2008, 01:37 AM
get a set of polk audio component speakers these ones to be http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/6-1-2/speakers/db6501/

Vanilla Sky
12-29-2008, 05:04 AM
If you're dumping off the Polks, sell the to me on the cheap...

carotman
12-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Yup, just buy good component speakers in the front. They will sound nice. If you haven't done it already, get a 4 channel amplifier. This will really give a better sound overall.

89sei89dx
12-29-2008, 09:13 AM
6x9 in the front sound AWESOME.way BETTER than 5 or 6 or 6.5s willl sound.it has more sound and .guitars , instuments, vocals sound fuller , feel fuller.just the way u said u want it to sound and feel is how it is. and i have mine running off the stereo. i made custom fiberglass pieces out of the speaker covere thing. i dont have pics but willl take some in the next couple days. u will be suprized how much better the 6/9 sound than the other sizes.. i have hatch. i have 6/9 rockfords (cheap) in the front and in the back .i can take out my 18 sub and stilll have fulll good sound. 5 and 6 , 6.5,will not sound like the comparable 6/9 no matter what power u got goin to them. not tryin to nock those othher sizes.but i did see othhers in this post sayin 6/9 will not sound better and thhey will.and it didnt cost me alot or take alot of time to get them to fit . was not hard to get them in. i took the cover off . cut a hole in one of my extra covers and then hot glued a 6/9 ring to the front of it in the position i wanted.with lil legs to get it in the right angle and spot.then i stretched a old white shirt over it and hot glued it around the bottom to make it stay in place. then i put a bit of fibereglass resin over the shirt and waited for it to dry. cut out the hole. then put fibergllass andmmore resin overe itin 2 llayers. cut and trimmed it a llil more and thats allll i did. wanted to hear how it sounded and put it in. ten whille it was in i ran out of f.g. and resin. so it still needs to be finished.. but it still sounds alot better with thhe 6/9s in the front with unfinished mounts. i acuallly gota couple of vids of the speakkers playin ill tryto putup.

89sei89dx
12-29-2008, 09:25 AM
in my opinion 6/9s sound alot better than othere sizes. with or with out an amp.. especialllly in the front. its easy to get fulll sound out of rear speakers . but in most cars the rear speakers overshadow the front in my experiance. cauuse the doors are smalll and the rear speakers have a trunk to use for sound. sound is different from theback.the other day i had my sub out and was just bumpin my 6/9s and it sounded awesome. the bass was good becouse they are all 6/9 but the vocal and instruments sounded so good i was lllike sittin there for hours just listenin. like wow. so clearand goodsounding. ihave never got that good of sound from four 6.5s. ever. not even close. i found out i lliked the 6/9sbetterwen iused to have my asto vans. i had one with lik 6 andatweeterin the front. got usedto that and then got a new astro van and it had 6/9s in the front, stock. and it was allot better sound overall.. before that all i ever ran were amped up 6.5 or 6. or even 5.5 some of them sounded as good as the 6.5. but once i went 6/9 in never went back. its way worth the time if u like your music to sound fulll

89sei89dx
12-29-2008, 10:07 AM
this is avidofthe6/9 infront in new unfinished fibergllass box/ mount http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d2Cr31Od00 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d2Cr31Od00 sound quallityon cam isbad and musicthhat day sucks sorry. only vids i got now. i got pics im uploading now of thhe firstbox i made for te front doors, they were also my first try at fibergllass

89sei89dx
12-29-2008, 10:16 AM
this took me about 3 to 4 houurs to make start to finish http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp186/gettinthechewin/1229080946.jpghttp://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp186/gettinthechewin/1229080947a.jpghttp://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp186/gettinthechewin/1229080946a.jpghttp://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp186/gettinthechewin/1229080947.jpg it was wellworthte timeto make these . i could ofdone allot betterif i took my time. but i didnt. put the 6/9s in the front. with or without an amp it will sound better than 6.5 or 6.alll day

89sei89dx
12-29-2008, 10:22 AM
ive had kicker and infinity. and alpine components in the front i like these 6/9s alot better. i run tem off the stereo for now, and the vocals and instuments and everythhing sounds fuller and cleaner/clearer. i also have a type r 18'' subwoofer i runnin off power rockford amp in back. these sound good with or without the sub in

alanizgod
12-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah that's something I wanted to get into. Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about figberglass or molding so I might have a lot of trouble with it. Currently I have the polks in the front powered by a kenwood amp...and I know the amp gives more juice than the speakers can handle. The speakers are designed to handle about 100wRMS and I'm pushing around 120 to them, but unfortunately when I put the volume on nice and loud like I want it it looks like they're gonna explode. I already have one of them slightly damaged =/

ghettogeddy
12-29-2008, 11:09 AM
If you're dumping off the Polks, sell the to me on the cheap...

i wish lol i bought a set once but returned them before i got to happy lol just felt to guilty paying 250 for them but i wanted them so bad lol

and as for 6x9's

there for people who dont know who to tune a stereo my instruments sound amazing in my hatch and i have polk audio db 5.25s front and back

also if your haveing a prob with the rears shadowing the fronts just set them fronts to put out more then the rear

this is why i always have the same speakers all around instead of dif ones

also in my experience with the 3g's the fronts have always been a bit louder and i find my self moving my setting to the rear 1 or 2 notches

also lol alot of people tune ther subs out to the max when they should be tuning them to there rms witch will over shadow the whole setup
make sure you getting clean strong hits not distorted bass if you were any were near me i could show you how to do this

its not something i can just walk you over lol i just have a ear for bass and treable and can normally get any setup to sound good within its performance range you can ask a couple of the bay area representatives we have on the site like 84accord and pico they know how good i am lol just have to be patient and doitn try to push your setup beyond its limits

alanizgod
12-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Haha yeah I had a bad habit of letting the sub over power everything and I would wonder why the hell I couldn't hear anything lol. Well what I typically do is leave the sub off...then I tune the speakers so there isnt any confusion. I've been messing around with that shit for years...and I've gone through all kinds of speakers. So far the polk's have been the best things ive bought..sounded great too but one of them already has a slight rattle and its kinda noticable. I think I pushed them to their limits and I'm just not satisfied..

alanizgod
12-29-2008, 11:24 AM
get a set of polk audio component speakers these ones to be http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/6-1-2/speakers/db6501/

I almost started crying when I saw how expensive these were...if there's anything I've learned in the whole process of building an audio system it's never buy from a store or direct from the company.

For example I LOOOOVE pricegrabber.com

I've been going to this sight and saving myself a shitload of cash. They wanted 240.00 off the polk website but check out the price on pricegrabber :D

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/car-speakers/m/33724707/search=db6501/st=product/sv=title/

ghettogeddy
12-29-2008, 11:55 AM
ill buy from crutchfield but the others no lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000OA6QT0/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1230580296&sr=8-1
anything from amazon though lol

alanizgod
12-29-2008, 12:21 PM
ill buy from crutchfield but the others no lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000OA6QT0/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1230580296&sr=8-1
anything from amazon though lol

Haha it's totally worth it on the other sites...crutchfield is still expensive too. Amazon has a decent sale here and there...I usually just go for the cheapest price and whatever has a decent rating. There's this one particular company I bought a good 90% of my shit from but don't remember what they were called..I just remember buying my type R for around $110-120 including shipping

ghettogeddy
12-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Haha it's totally worth it on the other sites...crutchfield is still expensive too. Amazon has a decent sale here and there...I usually just go for the cheapest price and whatever has a decent rating. There's this one particular company I bought a good 90% of my shit from but don't remember what they were called..I just remember buying my type R for around $110-120 including shipping

ya i think i paid that much for mine but i got it at best buy on clearance lol

Rendon LX-i
12-29-2008, 03:20 PM
if you want a fuller sound man. run your speakers and subs on amps dont use your deck. you i just for just power. run your rca's and thats it. i did that an its the best thing i done but you also got to make sure you have good speakers i have mb quarks oooh man those are crisp. i got 4 ch 1000 watt phioxen gold running my 4 mbs. and my 1500 watt mono amp running my kenwoods. you well get that fuller,crisp, or w/e you want to call it FEEL when you do that or your money back LOL jp. Cost money but it be prefect. Also dyno matt all your doors and trunk. Thats what im going to do in my trunk next my doors are and that was some cash money for that shit.

Rendon

alanizgod
12-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Dude the dyno makes a HUGE difference. I still get a rattle from the plate (cuz there are only 2 goddamn screws wtf??) but it sounds a lot cleaner inside. I know I have everything set up well in the car...I'm either just getting used to what I'm getting and expecting more or I'm just crazy lol. I'm gonna try to do a shitload of frequency tweaks to see if I can work it out before doing something drastic.

alanizgod
12-30-2008, 12:55 AM
ya i think i paid that much for mine but i got it at best buy on clearance lol

Aha these sites have clearance 24/7. Honestly I was insanely skeptical at first but now I'm a firm believer. I know I've saved hundreds if not thousands of dollars buying shit off that site and everything I've bought has been legit. I wouldn't trust the sites w/o a good rating tho just because I wouldn't really know what to expect of them

Hash_man_Se_i
01-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Please don't put 6x9's in the front of your car.... Like rendon said, deadening your front doors with a product like dyna mat will help significantly, and you should definately make sure you figure a way to secure your speakers in with all 4 screws, not just 2 as that will make a difference.

Also, with the deadening, make sure you are not just applying it to parts of the door... you should be essentially sealing the inside sheetmetal of the door so that the open cavity of the door basicaly becomes an enclosure for your speakers.

As far as running a sub at full range, that would be a waste of time and money as the sub would shortly be destroyed as they are only designed to play low frequencies, not mid to high freq.

And lastly, if you do get new speakers, get some 6.5" seperates/components ... They will always have more midbass response than a set of coaxial speakers.

And for the person who built fiberglass pods for 6x9's... props for putting in the effort to do that... but what a waste of time. I deal with car stereos everyday, including many high end audiophile systems, and the best sounding speakers are ALWAYS round speakers, a nice set of 6.5" components would have been a much better way to spend your time/money.

alanizgod
01-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Well something so simple that I forgot to do and feel like a dumbass for not doing it sooner is setting the gain properly. I'd have my system set to play loudly at a high gain from my amps which seriously distorted the sound and made it sound like crap compare to what I have it at now. I lowered the gain and sensitivity off the amps and I'm able to get a wider range of volume from my HU...now it sounds so clean and clear there's no need to add anything. Goddamn if I would've just known that sooner lol

Oh and I have dyno in the trunk but not around the speakers...the guys that I had install the two fronts did a shit job and I might have to fabricate something to hold it better. I'll definitely add dyno to the doors when I get a chance though.

MessyHonda
01-05-2009, 11:33 PM
yeah i dynomated my front doors and now my 6.5 sounds way better.

89sei89dx
01-23-2009, 10:07 PM
round speakers dont always sound better. and i also have dealt with high end systems damn near everyday of my life for about 15 years now. i tested infinity alpine polkaudio pioneer and a few other 6/6.5 speakersa in my front doors and in the end my 6/9s sound alot better/ fuller. than any of them . better vocals. better bass. better instrument clarity. and i also compared square and round subwoofers and the square, sounded better for bass and sound quality. if u disagree oh well. some say square subs are no good for sound quality.. and the judges at sq comps do not agree with that. square kickers win alot of their sq events. in first place. and for the non believers. mtx was a very good company that many prefer and . they for the longest time tried to say the same thing, that round is better. and guess what, they(mtx) now decided to make square subwoofers. after years of sayin square was bad for sound and round would be better. take it from someone that (has AT THIS CURRENT TIME) 6/9s in their front doors. off the stereo, amp, or air. 6/9s setup properly will sound BETTER / FULLER than ur 6.5s. if u dont agree. sorry. but there alot of people on here sayin DO NOT do it. ot PLEASE dont. so im sayin try it . . in my opinion sounds alot better to me and alot of people that hear it say the same.