PDA

View Full Version : Say hello to your power steering fluid filter

Dr_Snooz
12-29-2008, 09:42 PM
I learned about our PS fluid filters after reading this post here: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=914201&postcount=13

Of course, I was consumed by curiosity and ran to the junkyard to bash open a reservoir and have a look.

And here it is:

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/dr_snooz/pic0048.jpg

The only way to get to this filter, unfortunately, is to break open the reservoir. If you want to replace it, you'll have to replace the entire reservoir, which may no longer be available. It doesn't seem to matter really. This filter was reasonably clean, even though the car was days away from the crusher. The PS systems in our cars don't seem to fail from dirty fluid and changing your fluid regularly seems to keep everything clean.

Just thought I'd share.

nfs480
12-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Wow, cool. Very interesting. I checked on Majestic Honda and they do still have the reservoir available but it's like $50. This reminds me, I really should drain the system and refill with new fluid, I think the current fluid has been in there since the 90's.

A18A
12-29-2008, 10:49 PM
oh cool, i always wondered why the resivoir would be heavy & i couldnt see in it even though it had no atf in it

AccordB20A
12-29-2008, 11:31 PM
"Hello my power steering filter"

lostforawhile
12-30-2008, 12:04 AM
i didn't even put one in my new system, they got rid of it after 89 anyway.

Oldblueaccord
12-30-2008, 05:45 AM
That is very neat info.

On a side note my buddy who has a 4th called me one morning it was cold like 17 degress and asked me how power steering freezes? :banghead:

Seems his turned to slush over night and he had to let his car run about 10 minutes before he could turn the wheels. I guess it was so water saturated?

wp

lostforawhile
12-30-2008, 08:19 AM
That is very neat info.

On a side note my buddy who has a 4th called me one morning it was cold like 17 degress and asked me how power steering freezes? :banghead:

Seems his turned to slush over night and he had to let his car run about 10 minutes before he could turn the wheels. I guess it was so water saturated?

wpthats called power steering morning sickness it's usually a GM problem.

MessyHonda
12-31-2008, 10:07 PM
reminds me also... i need to flush mine

DBMaster
01-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Doc, does the filter media look like paper/fiber or metal mesh? It's hard to tell from the picture. I like the idea of backflushing with solvent, but if the media is paper or fiber I think it would take too long to dry and you might mix a significant amount of solvent with your new fluid. Given the size of the filter I am guessing it would have to be REALLY clogged to block enough fluid flow to cause problems. I wonder if the thing has a built in bypass circuit like and oil filter? If it did I guess you don't really have to worry about system failure due to a clogged filter. Newer Hondas did away with this filter, as we have already stated, but they do not add in an inline filter, either. So, it would appear filtering the fluid may not be essential.

Dr_Snooz
01-01-2009, 08:26 AM
It's a paper filter with no bypass mechanism. The only way to get to it is to destroy the reservoir, so other than regular fluid changes, I wouldn't worry about it. I've changed the fluid in mine probably six times now and it's finally staying clean so I'm satisfied with that.

I don't think Honda engineers their cars to go forever anymore. I would consider it a step in the wrong direction that they don't filter the fluid anymore. That's just me though.

lostforawhile
01-01-2009, 09:58 AM
It's a paper filter with no bypass mechanism. The only way to get to it is to destroy the reservoir, so other than regular fluid changes, I wouldn't worry about it. I've changed the fluid in mine probably six times now and it's finally staying clean so I'm satisfied with that.

I don't think Honda engineers their cars to go forever anymore. I would consider it a step in the wrong direction that they don't filter the fluid anymore. That's just me though.well the power steering fluid really doesn't get dirty, it's like the brakes, sealed system. if it's changed once in a great while it will be fine.

DBMaster
01-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I guess the stuff that darkens it and gives it that unique strong aroma must be particles too small for the filter to catch - like the stuff that turns your oil dark. It's just something for a compulsive person like me to think about.

DBMaster
01-01-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't think Honda engineers their cars to go forever anymore.

I agree with that 100%.