PDA

View Full Version : installing cold air intake?

jamesh23
12-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Alright guys im planning on getting either a cold air intake or sri or making my own haha. The stock intake is the black piping thats on top of the engine right? or wrong? could some people show me some pics of the cai or what parts I take off to install a cold air intake? thanks.

A18A
12-30-2008, 12:09 AM
its the piping behind the engines intake manifold, you can use the stock pipe & a poddy to make a sri, you just have to chop the intake pipe somewhere.

jamesh23
12-30-2008, 02:44 AM
whats a poddy and please elaborate.

lostforawhile
12-30-2008, 08:34 AM
I googled "poddy" and this is what I got the file name is "port-a-poddy" http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3250/2416575427_5449719aa4.jpg?v=0
how you would attach this to your intake i have no idea,but the methane boost must be good for horsepower

2drSE-i
12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
i think hes saying a "Pod"dy as in a Pod intake filter.

ghettogeddy
12-30-2008, 11:08 AM
i think hes saying a "Pod"dy as in a Pod intake filter.

exactly lol

know for my main question is it fi or carb

carb
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/101_06521.jpg?t=1230664852

efi
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/100_4862.jpg

jamesh23
12-30-2008, 11:51 AM
exactly lol

know for my main question is it fi or carb

carb
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/101_06521.jpg?t=1230664852

efi
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/100_4862.jpg

EFI, I have a filter cuz I was gonna attempt to make one outta dryer hose... (yes stupid i know)

ghettogeddy
12-30-2008, 11:53 AM
short ran is the easyest and if you did any searching well at all there is a sticky for a diy cai

lostforawhile
12-30-2008, 11:55 AM
it would be better to get some silicone hose,and put it under the bumper corner. you are sucking hot air there. mine is baffled and pulls in air from the hood scoop.

jamesh23
12-30-2008, 12:06 PM
short ran is the easyest and if you did any searching well at all there is a sticky for a diy cai

well sorry but I did do some searching and no do it yourselfs came up, if you could point me in the right direction id appreciate it. and how do I take off the stock intake and stuff?

ghettogeddy
12-30-2008, 12:14 PM
well sorry but I did do some searching and no do it yourselfs came up, if you could point me in the right direction id appreciate it. and how do I take off the stock intake and stuff?

well you ahve to find a wizered in the land of oz then he will wave his magic wand and give you the power of sight and then you will clearly see the 2 10mm bolts that hold the filter to the intake mani then a screw driver will fall out of you poop hole and you will see that on the intake opening you ahve to remove a clamp then just ripe everythign out lol its not roclet science also i suggest you buy a haynes manual or dl the shop mani

http://www.3geez.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20 how to section im sure you can locate the cai diy from there

you can find the shop mani here
http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Main_Page

jamesh23
12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
well how do I make one out of the stock airbox?

ghettogeddy
12-30-2008, 01:24 PM
well how do I make one out of the stock airbox?

you dont

jamesh23
12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
ok well I removed the battery for easy access to bolts and screws, I took off all the black tubing that goes from the box with the drop in air filter in it, took that out, than I unscrewed the black box with the drop in air inside of it and took it out too, so im lost... fuck.

ghettogeddy
12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
ok well I removed the battery for easy access to bolts and screws, I took off all the black tubing that goes from the box with the drop in air filter in it, took that out, than I unscrewed the black box with the drop in air inside of it and took it out too, so im lost... fuck.

so whats left spounds like you got it all

you just need a cai tube or sri tube and your done

lostforawhile
12-30-2008, 02:14 PM
you can get cold air intake tubes cheap on ebay, you just have to mod them a little, or you can search and get some silicone aircraft hose, you can find it used on ebay, it transmits less heat then aluminum. put the air filter in the big area under the bumper corner.

jamesh23
12-30-2008, 02:18 PM
so whats left spounds like you got it all

you just need a cai tube or sri tube and your done

oh I thought I messed up lol

im just going to the local autozone and buy a sri tube and attach it to the specter filter I bought, but what about the drop in air filter? its no longer of use? so now I just attach the sri to the spot where it shows in the pic? off of the pgm thing above the engine and buy a little filter to put in place of the hose?

lostforawhile
12-30-2008, 02:25 PM

im just going to the local autozone and buy a sri tube and attach it to the specter filter I bought, but what about the drop in air filter? its no longer of use? so now I just attach the sri to the spot where it shows in the pic? off of the pgm thing above the engine and buy a little filter to put in place of the hose?just hang on to it n case you ever have to put it back on

ghettogeddy
12-30-2008, 02:26 PM

im just going to the local autozone and buy a sri tube and attach it to the specter filter I bought, but what about the drop in air filter? its no longer of use? so now I just attach the sri to the spot where it shows in the pic? off of the pgm thing above the engine and buy a little filter to put in place of the hose?

yes but make sure you keep you stock setup the one from auto zone liek mine will not pass smog idf you have to do so they are not smog legal

jamesh23
12-30-2008, 02:31 PM
I cant thank you guys enough for all the help you have given me, one last question in the pictures below, the small filter coming off of the engine, whats its purpose? I detached the hoses that were in that spot before and they have some oil on them, what do I do with that pipe? just leave it there and attach the small pod filter?

efi
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/100_4862.jpg[/QUOTE]

lostforawhile
12-30-2008, 02:33 PM
That should be fine the small filter is a breather for your pcv system.

jamesh23
12-30-2008, 03:14 PM
That should be fine the small filter is a breather for your pcv system.

I just wasted 80, I bought a sri from autozone, a 3" pod filter, a coupler, and a mini breather, the breather wont on, there isnt enough room, the sri is too long and I dont have a hack saw.

ghettogeddy
12-30-2008, 03:19 PM
go get one lol there like 5 bucks at home depot

lostforawhile
12-30-2008, 03:46 PM
I just wasted 80, I bought a sri from autozone, a 3" pod filter, a coupler, and a mini breather, the breather wont on, there isnt enough room, the sri is too long and I dont have a hack saw.take it back if it won't fit those little breathers should all be pretty much the same thing.

jamesh23
12-30-2008, 05:11 PM
the guy from autozone let me borrow a tool to cut the pipe, and the breather will fit if I push it hard enough and use lube haha, but there isnt room cuz it hits wires and a bar.

ghettogeddy
12-30-2008, 05:13 PM
the guy from autozone let me borrow a tool to cut the pipe, and the breather will fit if I push it hard enough and use lube haha, but there isnt room cuz it hits wires and a bar.

pics asap

jamesh23
12-30-2008, 05:20 PM
pics asap

ill try, no digital camera though.

jamesh23
12-31-2008, 01:54 PM
I got the sri on, it fits good, but the mini breather wont go on, do I need it? can i put something else there instead? OR JUST put the normal hoses again?

ghettogeddy
12-31-2008, 01:59 PM
I got the sri on, it fits good, but the mini breather wont go on, do I need it? can i put something else there instead? OR JUST put the normal hoses again?

you might have gotin one thats to big i did not have to do a thing to mine to make it fit

can you find a like or give me a brand modle number so i can see what kind it is

jamesh23
12-31-2008, 02:04 PM
you might have gotin one thats to big i did not have to do a thing to mine to make it fit

can you find a like or give me a brand modle number so i can see what kind it is

let me find it real fast

EDIT: here it is http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/SPT3992.htm

same exact one.

ghettogeddy
12-31-2008, 02:17 PM
looks like the same one i dont see why it wont fit

jamesh23
12-31-2008, 02:18 PM
it just will not go on, idk why.

ghettogeddy
12-31-2008, 02:27 PM
will ti not go in the pipe if so take the ring off and lube the pipe up it will go lol

codyJDM
12-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Just stick a steak knife in the end of the breather and spin it around til it gets bigger and fits. Thats what I did.

jamesh23
12-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Just stick a steak knife in the end of the breather and spin it around til it gets bigger and fits. Thats what I did.

I did that but it still only gets about half way down the pipe, so I stuck it halfway down and clamped it real tight

will ti not go in the pipe if so take the ring off and lube the pipe up it will go lol

what should I use as lube?

ghettogeddy
12-31-2008, 02:44 PM
I did that but it still only gets about half way down the pipe, so I stuck it halfway down and clamped it real tight

what should I use as lube?

anything really some motor oil just a lil bit soap and water
if you have some pb blaster that will work as well

jamesh23
12-31-2008, 02:47 PM
took it for a drive, sounds real nice i love it, everything felt fine, I felt a little bit more power and better acceleration, no check engine light, I love it, overall thanks to you guys, it took me two days but thats just cuz im dumb lol.

codyJDM
12-31-2008, 02:49 PM
took it for a drive, sounds real nice i love it, everything felt fine, I felt a little bit more power and better acceleration, no check engine light, I love it, overall thanks to you guys, it took me two days but thats just cuz im dumb lol.

The sound our motors make with any intake is sick, super loud and aggressive. Glad you got it done. Pics!!! :cheers:

2ndGenGuy
12-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Nice work man. You're not dumb, it's just a learning experience. You'll start picking things up quicker as you learn more.

jamesh23
12-31-2008, 02:53 PM
The sound our motors make with any intake is sick, super loud and aggressive. Glad you got it done. Pics!!! :cheers:

ya I can only notice it when I step on the gas kinda hard, lol not floored but not when you accelerate slowly either. and Ill try, tonight we all have a beer in celebration lol jk, :beer: I just wanted to put that face, but thanks a lot guys seriously.

OldSkoolA20accord
12-31-2008, 03:25 PM
well you ahve to find a wizered in the land of oz then he will wave his magic wand and give you the power of sight and then you will clearly see the 2 10mm bolts that hold the filter to the intake mani then a screw driver will fall out of you poop hole and you will see that on the intake opening you ahve to remove a clamp then just ripe everythign out lol its not roclet science also i suggest you buy a haynes manual or dl the shop mani

hahahaha. funny shit.

Is that your car ghetto? The big ass picture of the engine bay.

ghettogeddy
12-31-2008, 03:37 PM
hahahaha. funny shit.

Is that your car ghetto? The big ass picture of the engine bay.

both if them actually lol

the first is from my 88lx
2nd form mt 87 hatch