PDA

View Full Version : cool email i recived form summit racing

ghettogeddy
12-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Dear Fellow Enthusiast,

As a SEMA Member Company, we have received an Urgent Legislative Action Alert from the association. You may be interested in this legislative alert and the possible impact it will have on your hobby.

The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) is a non-profit trade association composed of more than 6,800 member companies involved in all aspects of the automotive industry, from manufacturers to car clubs and race teams.

The SEMA Action Network (SAN) protects your hobby from unfair or unnecessary legislation on national and local levels. Through distribution of information and the collective voice of automotive enthusiasts and businesses, the SEMA Action Network has successfully impacted legislation concerning scrappage laws, equipment standards, registration classifications, emissions regulations, and more.

The following information is directly from SEMA. If you would like to contact the lawmaker, follow the instructions in the alert.

Thank you for your time,
Your Friends at Summit Racing Equipment

Oppose Federal

Washington lawmakers are drafting a large economic stimulus package to help create jobs and rebuild infrastructure. They want to include a nationwide scrappage program which would give U.S. tax dollars to consumers who turn-in older cars to have them crushed, as a misguided attempt to spur new car sales. The lawmakers need to scrap this idea.

The stimulus package is being drafted right now. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) wants to introduce the bill on January 6 and have it approved by Congress by January 20, so that President Obama can sign it into law after he is inaugurated.

Contact House Speaker Nancy Pelosi IMMEDIATELY To Oppose Cash for Clunkers!
Call: 202-225-0100
Click here to send an electronic message: http://speaker.house.gov/contact/

Talking Points
Feel free to use any of the statements below as a starting point for your message to Speaker Pelosi.

* I am [calling/writing] to urge lawmakers not to include a “Cash for Clunkers” provision in the economic stimulus bill. Owners who turn in vehicles for crushing would receive a "minimal" payment to purchase a new car. This is a misguided attempt to spur car sales and claim that the country’s air quality or fleet fuel mileage is being improved.

* I work for [company name] located in [city and state]. My company is part of the specialty automotive industry, an industry which enables consumers to enhance their vehicle’s appearance, performance, comfort, convenience and safety. “Cash for Clunkers” programs deny our small businesses the availability of older cars necessary to develop and market their products and services. The programs will hurt my company and our customers.

* “Cash for Clunkers” programs threaten enthusiasts nationwide with the loss of valuable parts and parts-cars for repair, restoration, and customization projects. The programs also risk destroying classic, historic and special-interest vehicles, our American heritage.

* Cars turned in for scrappage often barely run, or are rarely-driven second or third vehicles that have a minimal impact on overall fuel economy or emissions.

* “Cash for Clunkers” programs will reduce the availability of affordable transportation and repair parts used by low-income drivers. It will also compete with the Salvation Army, the Purple Heart and other charities that rely on vehicle donations to raise money.

* “Cash for Clunkers” ignores better policy options. If Congress wants to act, support for repair and upgrade is a better choice and a win-win for consumers, dealers, manufacturers and repair shops. Significant emissions and fuel economy improvements can be achieved in older vehicles through relatively simple and inexpensive means: repaired/replaced exhaust systems, tune-ups, etc.

* We hope we can count on you to reject “Cash for Clunkers.” Thank you for your consideration on this very important matter.

If you choose to send a message to Speaker Pelosi, please send a copy of your message to SEMA also:
E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: 202/783-6024

nswst8
12-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Just wrote the B*tch.

MessyHonda
12-31-2008, 07:42 PM
no one is going to take my car.

forrest89sei
01-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh yeah were only a Few Trillion Dollars in debt sure we can hand people money for there old cars, they did this program in California, your car fails smog and the state either gives you $500 toward Smog System Repairs or $1000 to retire the car off the road.

While I support doing everything we can to help our economy we dont need more hand outs or stupid programs...

Strugglebucket
01-02-2009, 03:33 PM
They want to include a nationwide scrappage program which would give U.S. tax dollars to consumers who turn-in older cars to have them crushed, as a misguided attempt to spur new car sales.
They have to be crushed? What's wrong with sending them to a salvage yard?

2oodoor
01-02-2009, 05:22 PM
I can see this as a potential reality born in the upcoming adminstration.. I am looking for a thread someone posted a year or so ago exactly on this lobby.
You have to think, we really do not need any more cars.. USA could survive just fine for 5- 10 years without yearly produced vehicles.... but the only way we would need them is if they made us cycle them out as other countrys do. More than one way of looking at it, you could stimulate business flow either way but only one way feeds the middle class grits the other way feeds the rich gravy.. so how much money does the govt get or give? :mad:

im hungry

A18A
01-02-2009, 05:41 PM
not very environment friendly either

lostforawhile
01-02-2009, 06:42 PM
yes i was going to post this, you can join SEMA for free, this is the best way to fight this, they are our voice in washington, tell everyone you know to join and fight this. Cali guys,the bill sponser is in your distric so you need to deluge her with letters and emails. go to the SEMA website and it will tell you how to contact. TELL EVERYONE

2drSE-i
01-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Only in California lmfao. No way does that pass.

lostforawhile
01-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Only in California lmfao. No way does that pass.
it's not for cali it's a nationwide bill, every car group in the US is opposing this. join sema,it's free and it lets you be heard.

lostforawhile
01-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Here's the link to join,this needs to be a sticky, this is very important, to pass this on,as this affects the entire car hobby. this is a huge group and they are on our side. they are always battleing idiotic laws like this and will alert you to new ones being attempted to be passed
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?ID=/content/SEMASANcom/HomePage

lostforawhile
01-02-2009, 10:00 PM
what this law means if passed, the goverment will give people cash for cars they don't want, the cars can't be parted out,they have to be crushed and destroyed. you think it's hard to find parts now?

2oodoor
01-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Alsomeans the opening of a door that leads to mandated destroying of cars older than xx years, outlawing using vehicles on public roads that do not have the latest SRS devices, gps tracking, electronic intrumentation, the list goes on according to technology. As well, making parts older than xx years obsolete and totally unavailable, possibly making it illegal, OR putting massive tariffs n taxes on those chosing to keep these units.

A18A
01-03-2009, 06:56 AM
gay