PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Honda Accord Won't start URGENT!!

Krisverde
12-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Alright so tonight my girlfriend went to start her car after she got off work and the Accord would not start. All it would do is crank over and it did not try to catch and run. I figured she flooded it but that wasn't the issue. After I first open the hood I could smell some gas. I waited for 40 minutes and tried cranking it and tried some carb cleaner to get it to fire and nothing happened. I almost think the timing belt slipped a tooth. It's an 86 Honda Accord with 58k mi on it, wouldn't be surprised if the belt was original. There is new plugs and wires on the car and a new cap and rotor. Car was running fine all day today. Any thoughts? I need to get this car running ASAP.

Demon1024
12-31-2008, 10:46 PM
first take off the top timing cover and see if thats it. 20 years and 60k could very well do it. lol, or just 20 years.
I suppose it's a carb then? not too good wit them myself but if it's not that some one here will know.

Dr_Snooz
12-31-2008, 11:17 PM
If you had it flooded, spraying carb cleaner only made it worse. You want to crank with the throttle wide open.

Timing belt off a tooth wouldn't keep it from running. Broken belt could. Check it by removing the distributor cap and cranking the engine. The rotor should turn.

You need two things to start the car: fuel and fire. If one of those is lacking, you won't start. You can check the fuel by pulling the fuel line off at the carb. Turn on the key and see if you get fuel coming out. It should come out in torrents. If that checks out, then you want to check for spark. Pull a plug, leave the wire on, ground the plug to the engine block (very important or you'll shock and possibly piss yourself) and crank the engine. The spark should be good and strong. That should get you started. From there you track the problem back to the source.

Let us know what you learn. Good luck!

Krisverde
12-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Awesome thanks for the replies...Ill be checking it out later today. I tried starting the car with the throttle all the way open and still nothing. Didn't even sound like it wanted to fire up. Are these engines interference engines?

Demon1024
01-01-2009, 03:04 AM
yes..... sort of.

your coil might have died? i dunno just checking back

Krisverde
01-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Sweet, so I checked everything and the timing belt was still there and fuel was getting to the carb. I go to check the spark on the plug and sure enough it was very weak. Put a new coil on and the car fired right up. Thanks for the help, ill have to get some pics of this car for you guys. I can't believe how many miles are on this car I am sure it'll go forever.