PDA

View Full Version : Oppose clunkers for cash!!

lostforawhile
01-02-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm putting this in here because it's very important to all of us. this bill that is attempting to be snuck into the economic stimulus package, allows the goverment to give people money for their old cars they don't want. the car's CAN'T be parted out,they have to be crushed and destroyed. This takes away the incentive for people to sell their cars on places like ebay or craigs list, why hassle with it when uncle sam will take it off of your hands? This also gives junkyards no incentives to sell parts, all they have to do is crush the cars and they get money for each one,plus scrap dollar. what does this mean to you? NO USED PARTS!! no three gees or 2 gees or 1 gees in junkyards. Follow the link under my signature, join SEMA for free, they fight for us and against these laws. The link is under my signature. Please join,and pass this on to others in the old car hobby. this is no joke,this is a huge threat to the old car hobby. Every site I know who deals in old cars is opposing this also. Please join today and fight this.

lostforawhile
01-02-2009, 11:26 PM
we really need to put this up at the top,this is a very critical bill for all of us who depend on finding scrap three geez for parts. the more people who join the stronger we are.

Dr_Snooz
01-03-2009, 08:12 PM
This is a tough one. I really don't want to lose parts for my 3g, but I admit that there's nothing worse than driving behind someone's smelly old heap of trash. I'll sign the petition. Thanks for letting us know about this.

Dr_Snooz
01-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Just sent Nancy Pelosi an email.

lostforawhile
01-03-2009, 08:47 PM
it's really not going to make much of an impact on pollution, if people would learn to fix their cars,there would be a lot of good cars on the road and not in yards. it makes a lot less impact to repair and tune up a car that already exists then to build one from scratch, and ship parts from all over the globe. each new car actually makes a huge amount of pollution to make. the politicians spins always never say that. I've seen a lot of nice cars in junkyards here, nice paint,interiors etc. for something like a blown head gasket or something dumb. gee not worth fixing. why not? the mentality is I could spend a thousand on an engine and drive a car in pretty good shape, or I can just buy a NEW car

Dr_Snooz
01-03-2009, 09:17 PM
it's really not going to make much of an impact on pollution, if people would learn to fix their cars,there would be a lot of good cars on the road and not in yards. it makes a lot less impact to repair and tune up a car that already exists then to build one from scratch, and ship parts from all over the globe. each new car actually makes a huge amount of pollution to make. the politicians spins always never say that. I've seen a lot of nice cars in junkyards here, nice paint,interiors etc. for something like a blown head gasket or something dumb. gee not worth fixing. why not? the mentality is I could spend a thousand on an engine and drive a car in pretty good shape, or I can just buy a NEW car

So true.

AccordB20A
01-04-2009, 01:15 AM
they could at least put the cars in junk yards so we can steal parts off them

2drSE-i
01-04-2009, 09:57 PM
I think rather than sending them to be crushed they make the junkyards pay out more. They currently pay around 100-250 per car, when they make easily 2-3k per car in parts, plus what they get in junk metal. Its a steal for them really.

lostforawhile
01-04-2009, 10:42 PM
I think rather than sending them to be crushed they make the junkyards pay out more. They currently pay around 100-250 per car, when they make easily 2-3k per car in parts, plus what they get in junk metal. Its a steal for them really.this bill would require any cars turned in for cash to be destroyed not parted

DBMaster
01-05-2009, 09:03 AM
A friend mentioned the Texas program to me recently. When I looked into it I found out that if you have a car that is between 10 and 25 years old (after 25 years it's an antique in Texas) the state will basically give you a voucher for $3K to use toward a car that is new or no older than three years. There are income restrictions, though. If you are single and make more than $31K you cannot participate. My thoughts are that if you have an old car and are wanting to take advantage of this program the car is probably a heap. For someone making a lower income even $3K may not allow them to afford a new car. In some cases that might be more than you could get selling or trading the car. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the program won't do squat to reduce air pollution.

nswst8
01-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I already sent the B*tch an email opposing this.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
01-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Sent at 12pm 1/5/09 and i sent a copy to SEMA to.

Vanilla Sky
01-05-2009, 02:28 PM
While I'm opposed to this program in its current state, I think that we need some sort of buy-back program to take gross polluters off the road and to remove unsafe vehicles from the population. If I got a voucher for $3000 towards a car no older than 3 years old, I'd be set. If parting of the cars were permitted, then I see no real issue with this bill.

I also agree that junkyards should pay more for cars than they do. For most of the heavy items, they charge a core, so they usually get their weight back. If they're paying $100 for a car and selling $3000 worth of parts off of it before crushing it and selling it as scrap for $100 (to make things even), then they're making pretty good bank. If I could get even $250 for my parts cars, I wouldn't part them out, I'd just junk them. Since they pay crap, then I'll part out myself and make pretty alright money on the car.

lostforawhile
01-05-2009, 02:41 PM
While I'm opposed to this program in its current state, I think that we need some sort of buy-back program to take gross polluters off the road and to remove unsafe vehicles from the population. If I got a voucher for $3000 towards a car no older than 3 years old, I'd be set. If parting of the cars were permitted, then I see no real issue with this bill.

I also agree that junkyards should pay more for cars than they do. For most of the heavy items, they charge a core, so they usually get their weight back. If they're paying $100 for a car and selling $3000 worth of parts off of it before crushing it and selling it as scrap for $100 (to make things even), then they're making pretty good bank. If I could get even $250 for my parts cars, I wouldn't part them out, I'd just junk them. Since they pay crap, then I'll part out myself and make pretty alright money on the car.the problem is any kind of bill like this will always get abused by the govement ,let one pass and then another one gets drafted next year that determines that anyones car over a certain year is now un safe and un road worthy. read through some of the laws that sema has stopped from being passed, our hobby is under a huge attack. communities across the US are trying to force people to get rid of their project cars or old cars, look at the recent one that forces you to remove non running cars from PRIVATE property, even if they are out of sight. there was someone on the HaMB who had a vintage fire truck parked inside of his garage, this was a restored antique, they passed a law that said he couldn't have it there and proceeded to fine him 500 dollars a day. this was an antique vechicle, INSIDE of a garage on private property. even if this law gets defeated, still join sema and keep watching. more of these bills are being drafted all the time, a lot of them local.

Vanilla Sky
01-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Very true. Maybe new car manufacturers should support this directly. Keep the government out of it completely. Allow the cars to be parted, but never to be titled again. I don't see an issue, however, the government does like to abuse its power.

lostforawhile
01-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Very true. Maybe new car manufacturers should support this directly. Keep the government out of it completely. Allow the cars to be parted, but never to be titled again. I don't see an issue, however, the government does like to abuse its power.
i have to disagree with the title thing, this would prevent antiques and classics from being saved. also i have seen far too many nice cars junked for stupid reasons, if anything it should be eaisier for the mechanically inclined to retitle old non wrecked cars. this is a huge help for poor people. that is the ultimate recycling, repairing an otherwise wasted good car.

Vanilla Sky
01-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Just make it a pain to get the title. Cars without titles can still be titled using a kit-car designation.

jdmaccordnut
01-05-2009, 10:23 PM
This is a tough one. I really don't want to lose parts for my 3g, but I admit that there's nothing worse than driving behind someone's smelly old heap of trash. I'll sign the petition. Thanks for letting us know about this.

75% of the cars on the road are made within the last 6 years, nationally.

All this bill will do is take old cars that aren't worth a whole lot, smash them to get money, then be sold as scrap.

jdmaccordnut
01-05-2009, 10:26 PM

I also agree that junkyards should pay more for cars than they do. For most of the heavy items, they charge a core, so they usually get their weight back. If they're paying $100 for a car and selling $3000 worth of parts off of it before crushing it and selling it as scrap for $100 (to make things even), then they're making pretty good bank. If I could get even $250 for my parts cars, I wouldn't part them out, I'd just junk them. Since they pay crap, then I'll part out myself and make pretty alright money on the car.

Semis and buses are less than 5% of the traffic on the road, yet cause over 25% of the pollution.

75% of all registered cars on the road are made within the last 6 years.

This bill will do nothing except scrap tons and tons of old cars, and make it harder for any body who likes an older car to find spares.

lostforawhile
01-06-2009, 02:54 AM
Semis and buses are less than 5% of the traffic on the road, yet cause over 25% of the pollution.

75% of all registered cars on the road are made within the last 6 years.

This bill will do nothing except scrap tons and tons of old cars, and make it harder for any body who likes an older car to find spares.thats exactly what they are trying to do,