PDA

View Full Version : Removing EGR and ping

mephi
01-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Has anyone had any pinging problems after removing the EGR valve? Will I need to remove the vacuum advance on the distributor, or can I just run a higher octane fuel? Or have there been no problems at all?

LX-incredible
01-03-2009, 05:11 AM
I've had no problems with a block off plate. Leave it connected to the electrical and vacuum or you will get a check engine light. There might be a way to connect the lift sensor wires to the solenoid wires and eliminate it, but I haven't seen it.

2oodoor
01-03-2009, 05:27 AM
not a single peep ping

IMO, the egr route design on these hondas is not as effective as it is on other cars at changing the temp of the compustion charge anyway.
If you have fuel injection you will have to deal with the engine light like LX-incredible says, if you try to bypass it. On carbed cars, no problems at all, just make sure if you make a plate that you insure the center wall between the passages does seal off from between each side because if you don't it will be like egr is on all the time.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65894

Strugglebucket
01-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Just check your plugs after running with it bypassed for awhile. It might lean you out for highway driving more than you expect.

I honestly think that bypassing the egr causes more problems than gains unless your ecu is tuned for it.

mephi
01-04-2009, 01:11 AM
I've got a DX that I may in the future convert to EFI, but for now, I have no ECU issues.

AccordB20A
01-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Never had a problem with disabling the EGR on an efi

Even if the CEL is on the car still seemed to run mint

ecogabriel
01-04-2009, 06:10 PM
When I got the car (1986 EFI) the engine light was on; EGR valve lift sensor was dead.

Car did not pass emissions because of high NOx content directly traceable to a problem with the EGR system. Besides, the car would ping a lot under acceleration.
So I needed a working EGR which I found in a junkyard; I tested it for vacuum and electrical connections (cost me 6-8 bucks? no more than that). But I discarded the first two that I had first found in the yard (the lift sensors were dead)

With working EGR valve the car passed emissions like a champ; the test ended earlier because it was passing with high margin in all gases (HC, CO, and NOx). Pinging dissappeared completely

Bottom line: for a daily driver car I would not eliminate the EGR valve and especially so if there are emissions checks in your area.
A working EGR valve can be found on a junkyard but if you know how to test it. You will need a vacuum pump and a test meter to check that both vacuum holds and the lift sensor works. You'll spend extra bucks on the tools but you will have use for them later. Besides, it will still be a lot cheaper than buying a new EGR valve.

For cars run where there are no emission controls or have other performance improvements the above would not apply. In other words, I submit to the opinions of those with experience in the situation.

LX-incredible
01-04-2009, 07:03 PM
We don't test for egr and oxides of nitrogen here. I have never experienced pinging with a disabled egr and have had my fair share. I believe that it is mostly spread by the greenies to stop people from removing them. I do also believe that there are special cases with certain motor designs and motors in dire need of service where this does not apply.

Hauntd ca3
01-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Never had a problem with disabling the EGR on an efi

Even if the CEL is on the car still seemed to run mint

x2 but i never had a cel

Rendon LX-i
01-05-2009, 07:33 AM
I never had a problem i have it blocked also. No pinging or what not. I get CEL once a while but no biggy.