PDA

View Full Version : Help in hot water

paulwwww
01-03-2009, 08:17 AM
I am on round two rack and pinion replacement. The problem is both times I was able to get the line from the pump attached but neither time would it properly thread all the way into the rack, causing a leak. Advanced has confirmed twice that this rack from cardone is the proper rebuilt model. This latest attempt I purchased the line directly from Honda, the thread appears to be one size too big. I am a little concerned about ripping it all apart again as I am afraid it may not all bolt down again properly. Considered trying to tap a new thread, but that is probably an unrealistic fix, hard to reach and not enough room for the tap. Anyone else run across this problem? Any ideas would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Also I have heard talk out here about bypassing the power steering to make it manual, is that a reality, if so how would a guy accomplish that. And is it worth it. Well hope to hear from someone, I am at my wits end and deep in cost to go back now...thanks.

lostforawhile
01-03-2009, 10:03 AM
you could go to a junkyard and cut off one of the pieces that is supposed to screw on, then confirm it does,if it doesn't take it back. advance saying something is right doesn't mean crap.

russiankid
01-03-2009, 10:07 AM
When I got a reman rack from Autozone one of the hard lines didn't line up. I do not remember which but I know it was a pain to get it threaded. I think I ended up lowering the rack and threading it in, then raising it back up. Its been 2 years since and its fine.

paulwwww
01-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Yes I have been down the road with advanced round one, they did pony up a second rack no charge, which was pretty good of them. It will have to go through a thorough investigation if I go that route again, plus not to sure I want to dismount it all again. Good advice on confirming that indeed the size is actually wrong, all of the other lines were quite difficult to get started but once I did all was well. The first reman line started ok but never seated properly and leaked. I spent like an hour trying to get this one from Honda started no luck, maybe I need more patience, really hate the sounds of dropping the rack, but you might be right. I don't believe it's stripped, at least I hope not. Thanks for the advice and back to the drawing board. And remind me never to tackle this job again, ha ha.

Strugglebucket
01-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Are you using a flare wrench? The line from the pump has the highest torque requirement of all the lines @ 25-33ft/lbs, and you probably won't be able to get that with a normal open end wrench.

Whenever I've done work on the hard lines there's always at least one fitting that leaks a tiny bit and I have to go back and tighten it up more.

russiankid
01-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Are you using a flare wrench? The line from the pump has the highest torque requirement of all the lines @ 25-33ft/lbs, and you probably won't be able to get that with a normal open end wrench.

Whenever I've done work on the hard lines there's always at least one fitting that leaks a tiny bit and I have to go back and tighten it up more.

I had to tighten one of them as well.

paulwwww
01-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Hmm, flare wrench, might explain the first go around. This time I am unable to even get it started up on the thead. Thanks a lot for the information, I will be sure to try that if I ever get it threaded back up on there...

nswst8
01-03-2009, 03:38 PM
You'll have to either loosen the rack to line up the tgreads correctly, or adjust the hard line so that it lines up. When I replaced the high pressure line I had to tweak the hard line from Advance discount auto. It was to say the least a BETCH this is the part that took the longest time.

Ichiban
01-03-2009, 05:57 PM
I'd recommend moving the rack around until the threads start, as hardlines tend to kink and are difficult to adjust without damaging as it is.