PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a master engine kit?

Dr_Snooz
01-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I need to do an engine rebuild and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good engine kit. Car is staying bone stock so I don't need anything flashy, just the standard seal kit, rings, bearings, pistons & crank. I'll have the head done because I don't have a machine shop. My default choice is Napa, but I'm wondering what others are using.

fogged
01-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Have you tried Summit. they might have a kit with stronger more dependable parts. I've never had any real luck with NAPA.

88Accord-DX
01-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I ordered a Top-Line rebuild kit from this site for $306 after shipping. My crankshaft was ok & it doesn't come with one. Also, I got oversized pistons too. So far I haven't had any problems but only have about 10k miles on this rebuild kit though.

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/topekits-honda2.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/RebuildkitforA20A1.jpg

fogged
01-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Wow thats a great site. What kit did you get? the bronz kit sounds best.

88Accord-DX
01-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Wow thats a great site. What kit did you get? the bronz kit sounds best.
Yeah, that site is pretty cool. It has H-beam rods & some custom CR pistons, APR head bolts, & a few other things for these cars. I'm sure if your pockets are deep your possibilities are numerous.
Anyhow, I believe I got the gold kit cause I already had a new water pump & timing kit. The thing is, you need to make several different measurements on the crankshaft, rods, cylinder bores so you get the right set of parts before you order.

OldSkoolA20accord
01-04-2009, 08:46 PM
can you not just tell them you want all std parts?

88Accord-DX
01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
can you not just tell them you want all std parts?
Yeah, but with higher miles on any motor, the cylinder bores will more than likely need bored out to a minimum of .25 millimeter/ .020". In my case in exception of the bores, everything else was ok & just needed standard size rod & mains.

cubert
01-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I will second ddudes answer...Ive heard good things about ipp...plus their warehouse is about a half hour from me :thumbup:

Dr_Snooz
01-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I dig it. So the Top Line kit is a good one?

88Accord-DX
01-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I dig it. So the Top Line kit is a good one?

It's been good so far. The pistons are just aluminum, pretty much a stock rebuild kit. I didn't want to spend a fortune on a rebuild kit at the time & couldn't find hardly any master rebuild kits.

If you want, get some JE forged pistons, total seal piston rings, eagle rods, APR head bolts.
Federal Mogul, Hastings, Wiseco are some other good ring & bearing brands.

ArokASE88LXi
01-18-2009, 02:27 PM
I am in the same boat as Dr. Snooz. Good Thread Also for engine kits :thumbup: I have a question though for you ddude you mentioned Forged JE pistons and such, since you mentioned it I wondered if you knew of any good sites to find such parts as I have beenunable to find them, maybe i'm just not looking in the right places. I'm not looking to go crazy here but a bump up in compression would be nice :D as well as some added protection in the way of HV oil pumps and/or upgraded water pumps, kevlar timing belts, lightened/better crank pulleys that sort of thing. Once again good thread guys good info!!!

Oldblueaccord
01-18-2009, 07:42 PM
http://www.jepistons.com/

They make custom forged pistons. Top notch.

wp