PDA

View Full Version : HVAC issues, and stupid questions

86AccordLxi
01-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok, so as some of you know my accord got broken into and the thieves busted the bejeezus (3geezus?) out of the dash. The car is an '88 Lxi, btw.

Chris (bobafett) gave me the blue dash out of his 86 Lxi. Everything installed ok, save for that right vent pull lever thing which doesn't work in the early model dashes.

So, gf continues to drive the car and tells me the vent controls don't work -- the car won't switch from defrost to vent to high/lo; nothing at all. I figured the vent motor was bad, so I went to the j/y today and pulled a couple of them from 88-89 cars. However, I also went to pull one from an early model car and noticed the plug into the vent motor is different from the late model. The early model is just a module with a plug in it it looks like, whereas the late model has a foot-long pigtail with a plug on that end (and the wiring goes inside the motor unit).

I plugged the new motor in, hit a button, saw the arm move, and then it stopped working. Tried the 2nd motor I grabbed and same thing.

What I suspect is that the early model vent motors/hvac controls are somewhat different from the late model vent motors/hvac controls, and the two cannot be mixed and matched. Maybe someone can confirm/deny?

If that is the case, I'm not entirely sure how to pull the hvac controls out without busting chit, and searching is proving not super helpful (noob question, I know).

Sorry for the novel ;)

2ndGenGuy
01-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Are they still vacuum controlled in the 3g? If nothing is working at all, it sounds to me like maybe you didn't get the vacuum hooked up. I was just screwing with that this morning. Perhaps when you hooked up the new motors, they were still holding a little vacuum in them and that's why they only operated once... Just a theory.

86AccordLxi
01-04-2009, 06:32 PM
No, it's not vacuum controlled.

It's electric motors.

russiankid
01-04-2009, 06:43 PM
You need to remove the center vent. Then theres a screw or two and it should come out.