PDA

View Full Version : how to, tune up? please

jamesh23
01-05-2009, 03:12 PM
I want to do a tune up on my car but dont wanna wait two weeks and spend 100 for some guy to do it, can I do it myself with just a socket set, screwdrivers and plyers lol? what should be the cost around?

ghettogeddy
01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
you will need a jack and if you have them jack stands you can also pic these up at parts stores for cheap if you look around

4 quarts of oil
get some ngk plugs just the basic ones will do fine
umm if you can find a cheap set of ngk wirs i would get them but they can wait till you find them

and thats your basic tune up
shouldn't be more then 150 if you need the extra tools but its good to have them for future repairs

Demon1024
01-05-2009, 07:05 PM
don't forget an air filter too.
if your are little more serious than that do the fuel filter and reset the timing with a light

cubert
01-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Distributor cap and rotor wouldnt be a bad idea...make sure tire pressures are good..

Rendon LX-i
01-05-2009, 08:27 PM
fuel filter is a must

bank2me
01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Damn it jamesh you little bastard you ask alot of questions lol Just Kiddin man no I would reccomend doin the following:

1. Distributor cap
2. Rotor (distributor)
3. Oil change if needed.
4. Spark plugs gapped to specs.
5. New spark plug wires.

Then you should be good to go mayne.:werd:

MessyHonda
01-06-2009, 12:03 AM
dont forget air filter

ZeroLux
01-06-2009, 12:49 AM
and don't forget to check your headlight fluid while you are in there.

(sorry I guess I've been on the other forums too long)

Z

Krisverde
01-06-2009, 05:41 AM
How often do the timing belt and tensioners last on these?

jamesh23
01-06-2009, 06:20 AM
How often do the timing belt and tensioners last on these?

idk you can hear something under my hood squeking though when I turn the car on.

Damn it jamesh you little bastard you ask alot of questions lol Just Kiddin man no I would reccomend doin the following:

1. Distributor cap
2. Rotor (distributor)
3. Oil change if needed.
4. Spark plugs gapped to specs.
5. New spark plug wires.

Then you should be good to go mayne.:werd:

thanks man, and lol im just eager haha. I need to know like how though, my mom said I needed a special tool especially for spark plugs to get them out and put them in?

Demon1024
01-06-2009, 06:51 AM
i've never heard a spark plug socket called that before. should be all you need besides the obvious.
2 screws on the dizzy cap and pull the rotor off(which sometimes is frustrating)

check you belts for squeaking noise first. does it do it then stop? or is it constant?

just a bit of advice make them tight not excessivaly tight or you'll end up killing your water pump or alt

bank2me
01-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Yea just get a spark plug socket from a parts store. Check the tension on your belts too mayne. My belts squeeled like a pig when I first put the new ones on. I had to get the alternator belt pretty tight to get it to stop. I thought it was good, and on cold start ups it squeeled a little. So now they are good but the serpentine belt is pretty tight. Idk about the timing belt I think haynes sais to change/inspect every 60,000.

evil88accordLX
01-06-2009, 09:46 PM
thanks man, and lol im just eager haha. I need to know like how though

nothing wrong with eager...

how to:

change the oil. drive car until its at normal operating temperature. if you are skinny like me you wont need to jack it up. park on a level surface. put catch pan under oil drain plug. loosen oil drain plug and remove from pan. loosen oil fill cap on valve cover to help air get in and speed up oil draining process. once oil stopps draining (drips and all), replace drain plug. remove oil filter. fill new filter half way with new oil, and smear new oil on rubber seal on filter to help seat the filter against the block. once tight, add oil in through oil fill cap on valve cover. let sit five minutes then check the level on the dipstick. add more if needed, and if too high, drain a little back out through the drain plug.

spark plugs. DO THEM ONE AT A TIME! this cannot be stressed enough. if you unhook all the wires and forget the order, you will be kicking your own ass for days to come. same with the dizzy cap. hold the new cap next to the old and pull off one wire at a time and replace with a new wire in the correct location on the new cap. once you have all the wires on the new cap, remove the old cap, take out the old rotor, install the new rotor (it only goes on one way so its real easy), and put on the new cap. its that simple.

and while your at it, check all your fluid levels whilst under the hood. you know, like the windshield washer fluid and stuff.

bank2me
01-07-2009, 12:27 PM
nothing wrong with eager...

how to:

change the oil. drive car until its at normal operating temperature. if you are skinny like me you wont need to jack it up. park on a level surface. put catch pan under oil drain plug. loosen oil drain plug and remove from pan. loosen oil fill cap on valve cover to help air get in and speed up oil draining process. once oil stopps draining (drips and all), replace drain plug. remove oil filter. fill new filter half way with new oil, and smear new oil on rubber seal on filter to help seat the filter against the block. once tight, add oil in through oil fill cap on valve cover. let sit five minutes then check the level on the dipstick. add more if needed, and if too high, drain a little back out through the drain plug.

spark plugs. DO THEM ONE AT A TIME! this cannot be stressed enough. if you unhook all the wires and forget the order, you will be kicking your own ass for days to come. same with the dizzy cap. hold the new cap next to the old and pull off one wire at a time and replace with a new wire in the correct location on the new cap. once you have all the wires on the new cap, remove the old cap, take out the old rotor, install the new rotor (it only goes on one way so its real easy), and put on the new cap. its that simple.

and while your at it, check all your fluid levels whilst under the hood. you know, like the windshield washer fluid and stuff.

:werd:

MessyHonda
01-07-2009, 04:27 PM
also check your tire pressure it helps alot when you have properly inflated tires.

OldSkoolA20accord
01-07-2009, 04:38 PM
does the FI dizzy cap not havethe plug numbers on the side? my carb on does

evil88accordLX
01-07-2009, 07:07 PM
you know i never looked........

and x2 on the tires.