PDA

View Full Version : Uneven idleing on '88 Accord

MysilB
01-07-2009, 04:51 AM
Hi guys!

Its been quite some time since last i wrote in english, so excuse me if my english is bad!

My problem is that my car isn't idleing properly. Usually it's idleing on 800 - 900 rpms. But when it's cold outside it starts idleing on 1700 - 1900 after a few minutes of driving. This can last from 5 to 30 mins. But my real problem is when I turn the engine off when it is doing this. It's like it is igniting after I have turned the engine off. After this the enginge can be difficult starting again, which it really isn't normally. Seems to me that the problem is the autochoke, but what do you think?

MysilB

thegreatdane
01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
FI or carb?

MysilB
01-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Forgot to mention that, it's carb.

Demon1024
01-07-2009, 11:22 AM
i'm no carb expert but it sounds like leaking vacuum to me

thegreatdane
01-07-2009, 11:57 AM
when your engine runs after you've shut it off, you call it dieseling. It caused by carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber combined with a leaking carb. The hot carbon buildup ignites the small amounts of fuel leaking in from the carb.
It's usually the cutoff solenoid in the carb that leaks.
Try to spray water directly into the carb while the engine is running, this will help clean up the carbon buildup inside the engine. You will need to control the throttle at the same time as you spray in the water, otherwise it will stall.
If that doesnt do it you can try removing the cutoff solenoid, clean it's needle and the seat inside the carb to see if you can fix the leak.

thegreatdane
01-07-2009, 12:04 PM
the idle is probably something to do with one of the idle systems yes. Perhaps the one with the coolant flowing through it.

You can diagnose it with the shop manual: http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto/Manuals/Accord/Ab0VE.Honda%20Accord%2086-89%20Service%20Manual.zip

MysilB
01-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info and the manual! Will take a look at it soon...

2oodoor
01-07-2009, 03:04 PM
which motor, some have two carbs

MysilB
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Single carb, 106 hp

Dr_Snooz
01-07-2009, 08:24 PM
when your engine runs after you've shut it off, you call it dieseling. It caused by carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber combined with a leaking carb. The hot carbon buildup ignites the small amounts of fuel leaking in from the carb.
It's usually the cutoff solenoid in the carb that leaks.
Try to spray water directly into the carb while the engine is running, this will help clean up the carbon buildup inside the engine. You will need to control the throttle at the same time as you spray in the water, otherwise it will stall.
If that doesnt do it you can try removing the cutoff solenoid, clean it's needle and the seat inside the carb to see if you can fix the leak.

Um....water? I feel a hydrolock thread coming on...

Hazwan
01-07-2009, 09:26 PM

Not unless you dump a whole bunch of water at once. I've done that with great results.

Demon1024
01-08-2009, 01:05 AM
why not just seafoam it? much more fun!
i've heard water kills o2 sensors
not sure how true but i've always avoided getting them wet at all

thegreatdane
01-08-2009, 05:51 AM

Thats why I said to SPRAY the water in. Dont just poor it in...

why not just seafoam it? much more fun!
i've heard water kills o2 sensors
not sure how true but i've always avoided getting them wet at all

Yes water can be dangerous for the inside of an O2 sensor, at least that's the case for a wideband sensor, cant say for sure about the regular narrowbands, but after it's been combusted there's no gasses in the exhaust that werent there already.
You can buy different products to do the same job, but water is often just as good and much cheaper.