PDA

View Full Version : 86 Accord LXI FI 2.0 Hatchback

Jack42038
01-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Does anyone here know anything about a TSB that may have changed the factory specs for the valve lash on the 86 Accord LXI 2.0 FI? I have an old manual and have been told that those figures are incorrect.

What should those specs be for that car?

Thank You
Jack

thegreatdane
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
dunno what you've heard but the specs are: intake 0.12-0.17mm (0.005-0.007 inches)
exhaust 0.25-0.30mm (0.010-0.012 inches)
Cold engine.

Jack42038
01-07-2009, 01:43 PM
I have the same figures you have, however I have been told those figures are wrong.

This is the email I received from the Honda Tech on the subject. I also have a call into the actual Honda Library (I called Marysville, Ohio when I first heard this and they promised to research and contact me back.)

"OK I just verified with the master tech. Back in 1986 all the Honda Accord and Prelude Camshafts were machined incorrectly. Instead of Honda producing a recall to replace over a million camshafts American Honda sent out an "unwritten notice" to all the Honda Dealers that in order to adjust valves correctly that the intake should be adjust at .20mm and exhaust at .32mm.

This notice never hit public service bulletins, service news, or the Internet. So keep these adjustments close because its somewhat tough to find them. Also if u have a family member or friend with an 86-87 Prelude or 86-89 Accord Fuel Injected the valve lash adjustments are the same, .20mm IN .32mm EX"

SO there ya go, is that weird or what? I am still waiting for the call from Honda themselves.

I think it is worth looking into because it does sound like something that would happen.

Thanks
Jack

MessyHonda
01-07-2009, 04:30 PM
wonder if adjusting it to the specs they said would be any better...i guess i got to try it because my valves started to make noise

thegreatdane
01-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Sounds a bit fishy.
Every revision of the shopmanual has the same specs. All the 3rd party tech info books and programs I've looked at says the same.

As long as the vavles closes fully when the engine is hot, that's all that matters.

Dr_Snooz
01-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Why do I get the feeling that if I adjust my valves to these specs there will be a ferocious clattering under my hood?

Jack42038
01-07-2009, 10:25 PM
I just adjusted the valves at the very tip top end of the recommended specs, maybe just a skoshe over and the thing is running great. I don't have the energy to go the full way but we are talking a distance of .03mm from where I am to where the guy told me the actual specs are. I doubt that much could induce a ferocious clattering. Mine were way tight by the way, couldn't even get the smallest spec feeler gauge in there.

The better thing to do would be to find the TSB or other material that definitely states these altered specs before using them.

I am just as skeptical as you. But .03mm??? The original tolerances were .05mm. I would think it could go out by .03mm over time by itself. I will report back if I find definite factual information and a citeable source.

Thanks
Jack