PDA

View Full Version : 3month project.. new to honda systems. Worth it?

TwinscrewPGT
01-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Ok 1st post im a newb to the 3rd gens..ok I lie Im a honda nub. I have a chance at a $200 88 or 89 dx 2.0? 5spd. Im bored so basically im going to get this as light as possible with few mods. Engine swap Bseries? F? H? I'm not afraid of converting to EFI But I do want a decent swap and yes it has to be DOHC or I wont touch it :) Im thinking b20 or b18 not sure. I dont want to search technical bs I want to hear some expierianced talkers what you put in.why and would you do it again if you went back in time. mid 14sec car and Id be happy.. car weights around 2500-2600 im guessing! lol striped weight? I just have to many thoughts flying through my head and its coming out as I type so excuse me and my randomness. ok pewp on it hit me with thoughts and ideas Thanks guys!.
Fazda Tuner
Rob

ghettogeddy
01-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Ok 1st post im a newb to the 3rd gens..ok I lie Im a honda nub. I have a chance at a $200 88 or 89 dx 2.0? 5spd. Im bored so basically im going to get this as light as possible with few mods. Engine swap Bseries? F? H? I'm not afraid of converting to EFI But I do want a decent swap and yes it has to be DOHC or I wont touch it :) Im thinking b20 or b18 not sure. I dont want to search technical bs I want to hear some expierianced talkers what you put in.why and would you do it again if you went back in time. mid 14sec car and Id be happy.. car weights around 2500-2600 im guessing! lol striped weight? I just have to many thoughts flying through my head and its coming out as I type so excuse me and my randomness. ok pewp on it hit me with thoughts and ideas Thanks guys!.
Fazda Tuner
Rob

well if you wont serach then you came to the wrong place specially to be so blunt about not searching all the info your gona find is from the same people that would beposting to you but why woudl they want to post it twice lol

now to get to swaps you wont find anything to just swap in without some work we do have b series moutns but there nto avail just yet its gona be a couple months before then

you will still need custom axles and ecu wiring

if your located in cali i say a b20 is out of the question specially if you need to ref/smog its considered a truck motor and wont pass in a car, but im not sure aboutt he lude b20 there not as populer so

i say b16/b18 ls/vtec somethign fun

TwinscrewPGT
01-07-2009, 03:27 PM
I Simply asked to hear peoples outcome experience. Doubt you find alot of them at the end of troubleshooting topics... Mounts are to easy to deal with especially with welders and knowledge with polly mixing. I'm in PA and Inspection is nothing to me. (Imports Plus Garage in Yorkanna,wrightsville PA)
So b18 you say.. Any one else have anything else to throw in. hmm ...Maybe they didnt make that many honda engines... (yearight... lol)

AccordB20A
01-07-2009, 03:38 PM
all i can say is its going to be EXPENSIVE

TwinscrewPGT
01-07-2009, 03:43 PM
expensive ...lol for what ...expensive is having a 12 sec saab break every 2mo's . A buddy of mine said hes got a b18 LS engine w/5spd trans/halfshafts/ecu/harness and harness jumper for $600 so thats $800 so far.. ? and theeeeennnn?

MessyHonda
01-07-2009, 04:38 PM
swap the b18 in....just make your own mounts.

2drSE-i
01-10-2009, 10:23 AM
and yes it has to be DOHC or I wont touch it :)

GTFO!

Only playing, Really though, if mounts, axles and wiring arent a problem, i say go LSVTEC build. Going F or H is gonna be REAL tight in the engine bay. There are only 2 succesful H swaps for 3g Accords, and one of them went tubular front frame just to fit it. Not sure what the other one did, as the details were sketchy.

OldSkoolA20accord
01-10-2009, 10:27 AM
fuck it. go with a j30.

OldSkoolA20accord
01-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Engine swap Bseries? F? H?......yes it has to be DOHC or I wont touch it :)
Rob

F series is single cam...

2drSE-i
01-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Not all of them are single cam. Thats like saying all D-series are all single cam.

rjudgey
01-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Hmmm tricky one if you have access to decent welding people and equipment Then a late version B18 vtec is the way to go although the early B18A from LS teg is a good unit just more parts and more power available from the later B18B/C versions. If you got the money i'd seriously look at K series swap but the engines are pricey on those. Other alternative would be early B16A the clutch is cable and would be easier to get that side of things running, you can still use all the B18 parts inside it to get the extra 200cc so this is a worthwhile route and as the engine is older and quite popular might be easier and cheaper to track down. A lot of early Civics and CRX's had them put in from JDM models and imports. Or you could go wild and put something completely different in!! From a ECU point of view might as well go stand alone with this save having to worry about cutting up wiring from two different cars if you want cheap than get the Megasquirt setup this covers you on ignition and ECU for FI.

Rendon LX-i
01-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Since you think its cheap as hell go with a k series like rudgey said. Its not cheap bro i dont give a fuck what you say. You got a 80's accord remember where obd0 so you have to convert to obd1 to even have a swap. so get your head out of your ass and listen to the peeps on this board. IF you search you might get an idea. Not beening a ass. we know how it IS,DONE. Trust me if it was THAT easy All of us would of had a swap by then. TAKES time,money,skill,heart. 600 pssst please

jigga89SEi
01-11-2009, 12:32 PM
2jz bolts right in man.. So does the RB20, 25 and 26... CA18, KA, EJ..
If moneys not an option, all those will bolt in..

:321:

GTFO
I understand your lookin for personal experiences.. But you gotta search if you want the actual info.. either that or pioneer it yourself..

TwinscrewPGT
01-11-2009, 06:12 PM
B18/C & 5spd tranny here, cars here, my polly mix is here. Got mounts in just need gas.. burn out the old rubber fill with polly weld mating plates for the mounts in the engine bay. anyone want the 2.0 and standard trans? its on the ground and ready to either be ruined or shipped. Funny thing is I have 4 megasquirt wiring kits/boxes I use CAT for flashing and remap if I go that way with converting. Megasquirt can be a real pain in the ass but when its setup right its great. Ill post pics when ever I get my girl and my camera come back from FL :) Thanks for the info. And the others.. get bent. Im at $775 after gas ill be @ $810.. then if someone buys the orig eng/trans it goes back down... oh no say it aint so ! and if you want to count in my elec bill for having the 220 on for around 3 hours then yea maybe 825 lmao Kthanks/bye

codyJDM
01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
B18/C & 5spd tranny here, cars here, my polly mix is here. Got mounts in just need gas.. burn out the old rubber fill with polly weld mating plates for the mounts in the engine bay. anyone want the 2.0 and standard trans? its on the ground and ready to either be ruined or shipped. Funny thing is I have 4 megasquirt wiring kits/boxes I use CAT for flashing and remap if I go that way with converting. Megasquirt can be a real pain in the ass but when its setup right its great. Ill post pics when ever I get my girl and my camera come back from FL :) Thanks for the info. And the others.. get bent. Im at $775 after gas ill be @ $810.. then if someone buys the orig eng/trans it goes back down... oh no say it aint so ! and if you want to count in my elec bill for having the 220 on for around 3 hours then yea maybe 825 lmao Kthanks/bye

So, what about axles and linkage? You aren't finished yet lol.

rjudgey
01-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Engine swap, well if you got the B18C that's a good start and MS will be easier to plum in than messing around with old wiring and OBD swap in my opinion or your just bite the bullet and get a ready made ECU thats easier to setup Electromotive but that will cost a few dollars or maybe go with a cheaper brand. All ECU's are pain in but to setup to a new build so either way isn't going to be easy unless you plan on keeping the engine stock then just use what ever wiring and ECU you got with the B18C, Axles and the clutch will the the next biggest issue, and since you gotta have a exhaust made up make sure you get a good header on there as they do make a difference most cheaper ones are poor the more expensive makes will give good bhp and torque increases, then all you have to do is get your system made up minimum size should be 2.5" no smaller and only go bigger if your going all out race on the engine or turbocharging 2.5" is widely accepted as the ideal size for between 200-250bhp. Don't forget to change your fuel pump the stock one will struggle to feed the injection system you'll be using that and i'm sure it will be tired and on it's way out if it's original!!

TwinscrewPGT
01-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Walbro 255. (centerforce DF clutch<---killed me on $ you guys win lol). Axels im not sure yet... I might have some machined at around $75 a piece.. tad more then oem price but got to find a shop to do it b4 I turn wrinkly and grey. I have a mandrel bender along with the welding skills and lift/shop to take care of that crap. was thinking of mod'n my own halfshafts.. but knowing my luck at 70mph they will come apart. whats the closest oem halfshaft ? by how much?

rjudgey
01-13-2009, 08:04 AM
So got any pics yet? And not sure about the axles there was someone here who did a B16 conversion but he stripped and sold everything, could try preludepower.com we got a guy with a B16 in his 2nd gen lude and their pretty much the same car as 3rd gen lude as far as running gear is concerned.

TwinscrewPGT
01-13-2009, 12:54 PM
car is going to scrap.. picking up a 2nd gen hatchback lx (84 i think) this weekend.

snoopyloopy
01-14-2009, 08:19 AM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/7/7b/Obvioustroll.jpg

rjudgey
01-14-2009, 10:10 AM
So you spent all that time and money and now you've scrapped the car???????
:nuts:

2ndGenGuy
01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
He's coming to his senses and getting a 2nd gen. :)

Lil Mike
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
why did you end up scrapping the car?

TwinscrewPGT
01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
It has yet to go. If someone wants it come get it york, pa (717) 855-0331 Rob if you want it. 2g hatch is lighter and looks better to me. Might put around in the beastly 86hp carpotated (<-lol) monster lol Good thing is I didnt do anything with the mounts yet so they can be fitted to the hb Not sure if its the 2g 1 or 2g2 tho I know there were two versions of the 2g hb but not sure yet how can I tell the differance? carb? engine stamp hell if I know.. engine is just getting thrown out anyways.

Vector
01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
85 2g sei...

cant you use 2g lude bearings/hubs? didn't someone else say that to me when i was inquiring a while back?

jigga89SEi
01-17-2009, 06:02 AM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/7/7b/Obvioustroll.jpg

hahahahaha!!!