PDA

View Full Version : whine whine whine

ianjk46conv
01-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Yes, another transmission problem. I did a search and found my problem but I'm wondering what I should do. My trans is whining with a load in fifth gear. I bought the car at 111kmi, and I'm sure the old farts I bought the car from didn't maintain the transmission at all. Either that or it's just getting old. It's an 89 lx with 124kmi. My plan is to replace the fluid, but is there anything else I should do as far as maintaining on the transmission? I plan on running the car until she dies or to the point of high maintenance cost. Thanks guys.

LX-incredible
01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Have you checked the fluid level?

Hauntd ca3
01-09-2009, 01:20 PM
oil level is a good start
but the thing with fifth gear is it was never designed to be used with a decent load on it.
if some dick has towed a trailer in fifth for a long period it can stuff the bearing that supports it and reverse since they are both on the same end of the shaft.
is reverse noisier than it should be?
that would suggest the bearing is getting old and letting the gears move about in mesh and make a bit of noise

LX-incredible
01-09-2009, 03:14 PM
oil level is a good start
but the thing with fifth gear is it was never designed to be used with a decent load on it.
if some dick has towed a trailer in fifth for a long period it can stuff the bearing that supports it and reverse since they are both on the same end of the shaft.
is reverse noisier than it should be?
that would suggest the bearing is getting old and letting the gears move about in mesh and make a bit of noise

Um no. There are two bearings that support the mainshaft and 2 that support the counter. Reverse is at the opposite end of 5th, and has a third idler gear, that connects the gears on the counter and mainshafts when the reverse arm moves it into position. Now the reverse arm is moved by a dowel on the same shift rod as 5th, but that's all that the two share.

codyJDM
01-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Mine makes the same noise. It is topped off with 10w-30 mobil1. The whining really sucks. Gonna do a proper flush and see where that goes.

Hauntd ca3
01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Um no. There are two bearings that support the mainshaft and 2 that support the counter. Reverse is at the opposite end of 5th, and has a third idler gear, that connects the gears on the counter and mainshafts when the reverse arm moves it into position. Now the reverse arm is moved by a dowel on the same shift rod as 5th, but that's all that the two share.

must be thinkin of rear wheel drive gear boxs sorry.
my bad
was under the impression that reverse and fifth were side by side like alot of rwd boxs