PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help me???trans and brakes locked up

hondaofhell
01-10-2009, 04:06 PM
hi to all. so i got this 87 accord auto as a gift and i was told it needed work. it was hesitating badly so i was told to drain the gas and change the fuel filters and tune it up. i parked it in my garage, gave it a tune up and changed all the fluids. but when i ran the gas outta of it i think it overheated and may have fried something to my transmission and also my brakes. it wont shift out of park, the lever wont move at all. i thought it may be the brake switch but the brake lights do come on. also the parking brake was on and now that wont budge either. the lever moves but it seems like the cable doesn't. is it possible i melted some cables or something. can you burn up a automatic trans while running it in park. any help would be greatly appreciated. i need this car

Vanilla Sky
01-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Does your car have the key hole beside the auto shifter?

LX-incredible
01-10-2009, 05:59 PM
87 shouldn't have that locking shifter bullshit. They started using that in 89. Do you have one of those cheap ebay auto shift knobs on there? Take it off and push down on the little wheel on the top.

Rendon LX-i
01-10-2009, 06:47 PM
i think thats the issue. that should be locking up on you like that. Since its auto should do that.

evil88accordLX
01-10-2009, 09:01 PM
how cold is it where you live? i dunno about the tranny, but in the winter you shouldnt really use your parking brake because the shoes can freeze to the drums if there is moisture in there.

Dr_Snooz
01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
How did you drain the tank? I get the feeling you pinched a cable.

OldSkoolA20accord
01-10-2009, 10:45 PM
he said he left it running to drain the gas and it overheated in the process.

why didnt you just undo the line and turn the key?

Demon1024
01-10-2009, 10:50 PM
why do you "think" it overheated?
what kinda fluid did you put back into the tranny?
did you jack up the rear of the car to see if the tires where locked?
i hope some one helps out on this suggestion cause i'm not real familiar with auto's but, maybe the ignition switch has to do with the shifter not moving?

hondaofhell
01-11-2009, 04:52 AM
it doesn't have a key shift lock on the shift console. it was cold outside so i wasn't worried about it overheating, but i assume it did because the console melted a bit and it smells like burnt plastic in the car. i didn't even think it could just sittin there but the shifter lever was really hot. the gas lines look too brittle to disconnect so i figured running it was the easiest solution. it really sucks because the car only has 65000 miles on it and the engine is running great now. im gonna look at it tomorrow but i still dont understand why the brakes and the trans would lock up like that. it doesn't make sense to anyone i know. if the brakes lock up is there something to lock up the trans too?

Vanilla Sky
01-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Take the console apart. You need to investigate what got so hot that it melted the console.

LX-incredible
01-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Got hot from the exhaust? Only thing I can think of is you melted the parking brake and shifter cables, and even that doesn't make sense...

Vanilla Sky
01-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm thinking catalytic converter myself.

evil88accordLX
01-11-2009, 10:28 PM
the shifter and parking break cables are both steel cables. it would take enough heat to set the car itself on fire to melt those suckers. perhaps something like the cat did get hot and melt something else that is now obstructing either of the aforementioned cables. both mechanisms are in very close proximity to one another.

mephi
01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
If the smell was in the cab, most likely you melted something in the dash or underneath the car and the engine/transmission are fine. I know from experience, when a vehicle is running rich, it can cause the catalytic converter to glow orange hot and catch the carpet on fire through the heat shields. If your shifter linkage and parking brake linkage are anywhere near that when it happens, the cables might deform enough to bind up. This could keep you from shifting and releasing the brakes. Crawl up underneath there and look for damage.

Then figure out why so much fuel was getting through to the cat if that is the case. It could indicate a whole other problem with fuel delivery.

2oodoor
01-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Got hot from the exhaust? Only thing I can think of is you melted the parking brake and shifter cables, and even that doesn't make sense...

^^this is most likely the deal

the steel cable is housed by plastic right above the exhaust, could be a exhaust issue to start with, old gas etc.

hondaofhell
01-23-2009, 02:11 PM
just wanted to thank you guys for your help. it was the exhaust that overheated and warped the cables. big pain in the ass but i finally got it fixed