PDA

View Full Version : Which Clutch?

bank2me
01-11-2009, 03:03 PM
So I searched the old threads on clutches and found out alot. But I would like to know which clutch will last the longest. I seen one guy had an act I beleive it was for 5 years with no problems. I don't really beat on my car and would like to throw a clutch in that will last for the rest of the car's life (if possible). I would like a clutch that wont ruin my transaxle and will last a long time. The clutches I have been looking at are Ram, Centerforce, Clutchnet and Act. Any reccomendations for my application? Anyone tried these clutches?

MessyHonda
01-11-2009, 03:09 PM
clutchnet...i love mine....and i beat the shit out of it....burn outs on wide 16 inch tires....no problem....i got my tranny rebuilt also tho....and i installed a lightweight flywheel

bank2me
01-11-2009, 04:19 PM
clutchnet...i love mine....and i beat the shit out of it....burn outs on wide 16 inch tires....no problem....i got my tranny rebuilt also tho....and i installed a lightweight flywheel

What clutch do you have from Clutchnet?

russiankid
01-11-2009, 04:27 PM
I have an Exedy clutch. Installed it 3 years ago, no problems.

turabaka
01-11-2009, 05:52 PM
I've talked with a couple of mechanics, and they all recommended centerforce to me.

Hauntd ca3
01-11-2009, 09:10 PM
exedy,centerforce,ap racing,puk are al good clutches that will last for ages if you dont give them a hard time to often.
what you should get depends on if and how much you plan on modding the engine.
a stock type clutch wont last if you're guna build a 300hp monster and a race clutch wont last long if you slip it a bit in day to day driving .
i personally run an exedy friction plate with an ap racing pressure plate and its awesome

labeledsk8r
01-11-2009, 09:27 PM
i will add on an exedy.. outlassted my trans lol

bank2me
01-12-2009, 11:11 AM
What type of exedy do you have? I would like a clutch that will last a long time and will give me a good launch every now and again. I will be doing mostly city driving. I'm thinking the centerforce stage 1. Is the holding power, how much longer the clutch will last mileagewise compared to the stock clutch?

ghettogeddy
01-12-2009, 11:16 AM
stock replacements suck lol but the exedy is a stock replacement but will most likly soot your needs

nswst8
01-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Exedy made by LUK.

When I put in my Exedy it was stamped LUK. I also had a new LUK to compare it to and they are indeed one in the same.

Rendon LX-i
01-12-2009, 01:51 PM
get a stage 1 clutchmaster. thats what i have and its holding to my 8psi pulls.

AccordEpicenter
01-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Get a kevlar disk, itll outlast the car if you break it in properly. Avoid centerforce for honda applications. Im gonna go with ClutchMasters or ClutchNet. I personally would go with clutchnet because thats what i run and love it.

bank2me
01-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Well I would like to find a clutch, if it exists, that will last the life of my car. That is why I dont want a stock replacement. What does holding power mean?

Rendon LX-i
01-12-2009, 06:30 PM
the amount of horsepower going to the wheels. thats what holding powers means. you have hp and tq. when you look at clutch apps you see the rating if what the clutch can hold an it tells you hp,tq rating.

turabaka
01-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Get a kevlar disk, itll outlast the car if you break it in properly. Avoid centerforce for honda applications. Im gonna go with ClutchMasters or ClutchNet. I personally would go with clutchnet because thats what i run and love it.

why avoid centerforce for Honda's?

Rendon LX-i
01-12-2009, 08:49 PM
They cant hold up. My buddy has a h22 and it was good for a while then it just started slipping. All it took was some good Hard launches and thats it, and he has a h22a then he boosted and just messed it up. so idk not a good clutch in my views.

Hauntd ca3
01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
the h22a is a pretty torquey motor for a start and adding a turbo would just make matters worse eh.
the centerforce 2 clutchs are meant to be good.
apparently twice the stock clamping force.
whatever you do, dont get a ceramic clutch, they are either on or off and arnt to friendly to gearboxes.

MessyHonda
01-13-2009, 01:11 AM

yup you are right...i have the sprung kevelar..and stage 3 presure plate....all i can say....my a20 is not making that mush hp to make this clutch slip a bit...lol

bank2me
01-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Mesy who is your stage 3 clutch made by? How do I know how long a clutch will last or can I just go by holding power? For example the stage 1 by centerforce has 30% more holding power than stock. And the dual friction by centerforce has 90% more holding power than stock. So that means the dual friction will last longer than the stage 1 right? Assuming they are both under same conditions, daily driving.

nswst8
01-13-2009, 05:43 PM
A clutch is only as strong as its weakest link, in my case I had installed a Fenco from autozone in 2004 I relaced it in 2008 but only because the throw out spring failed, I didn't replace the spring in 04 because I forgot to order it from Honda so I used the original one again.

The Fenco clutch looked good except that the spring caused some damage to the clutch disk.

The Fenco clutch surprised me for quality. I wouldn't have any reservation in putting another one in if needed.

russiankid
01-13-2009, 05:44 PM
My Exedy was stamped Exedy.

MessyHonda
01-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Mesy who is your stage 3 clutch made by? How do I know how long a clutch will last or can I just go by holding power? For example the stage 1 by centerforce has 30% more holding power than stock. And the dual friction by centerforce has 90% more holding power than stock. So that means the dual friction will last longer than the stage 1 right? Assuming they are both under same conditions, daily driving.

i got clutchnet

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/DSCF3120Medium.jpg

cygnus x-1
01-14-2009, 10:20 AM
You know, really with just a stock engine and average driving, a standard replacement clutch should last 60k-80k miles easily. Lifespan will depend just as much on how you drive than on the particular brand of clutch. Upgraded aftermarket clutches will naturally survive longer under abuse than standard clutches, so if you intend to beat on it then you should probably get an upgrade.

A stiffer pressure plate will not necessarily make it last longer, it will just provide more gripping force. The only reason for this is to be able to handle more torque than a weaker plate. But as long as it doesn't slip under maximum engine torque it's fine. Having a massively stiff plate on a stock engine just makes your leg tired faster, and could actually wear out the crank thrust bearings and throwout bearing faster due to the higher thrust force required to release the plate.

The clutch disc material will affect lifespan, but under normal conditions any material will likely last a long time. Here is a good description of some common disc materials:
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/CLUTCH/

I happen to have a Clutchnet set with 2x (double stock clamping force) red pressure plate and organic spring disc. It's very stiff and has almost a snap action pedal feel. It took some getting used to but now I really like it. The organic disc makes it easy to modulate the slip (when starting from a dead stop) and the heavier plate grabs solid. It's a little too heavy for how much power I have now but I hope to be making more in the near future. And because I have a Prelude (started as an A18 engine) it also has slightly less contact area than an A20 clutch. So I wanted a stonger plate.

The Clutchnet green pressure plate and an organic disc would be a nice upgrade from OEM style and is still relatively inexpensive.

C|

bank2me
01-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys. Cygnus what is the price of the green clutch kit from clutchnet? Does it come with everything I need to replace the existing clutch?

cygnus x-1
01-16-2009, 09:13 AM
About $200.

http://www.clutchnet.com/

C|

bank2me
01-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Ok cygnus I looked at the site and I seen that I have to make my own kit. I think I will go with an organic disc and I'm not sure which pressure plate I'll go with. Any ideas for street driving that wont wear anything out and will have a nice feel not too tight not too loose? I only need the following to replace my stock clutch right?

1. Pressure plate
2. clutch disc
3. throwout bearing
4. resurfaced flywheel

Rendon LX-i
01-16-2009, 12:49 PM
no you what a new parts. so 1,2,3 and you can resurface you flywheel

bank2me
01-16-2009, 01:05 PM
no you what a new parts. so 1,2,3 and you can resurface you flywheel

What?

cygnus x-1
01-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Ok cygnus I looked at the site and I seen that I have to make my own kit. I think I will go with an organic disc and I'm not sure which pressure plate I'll go with. Any ideas for street driving that wont wear anything out and will have a nice feel not too tight not too loose? I only need the following to replace my stock clutch right?

1. Pressure plate
2. clutch disc
3. throwout bearing
4. resurfaced flywheel

Yeah, their site is odd, and kind of confusing. Either the green or yellow plates would be good. Red is good too but is quite stiff. One thing I notice is that they list several different part numbers for the same model year Accords with nothing that says what the difference is. Might be good to call or email them to see what that's about.

And yes; you need a new plate, disc, and bearing for a complete clutch job. Your old flywheel can be resurfaced (I think that's what Rendon meant, as opposed to a new flywheel).

C|

Rendon LX-i
01-16-2009, 11:05 PM
What?

Sorry man. I meant that you need new parts. not just a clutch disk.

bank2me
01-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Alright thanks guys.

rjudgey
01-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Well i've tried them all and they all suck apart from two makes, very hard to get hold of AP pressure plate or Clutchnet pressure plate, all the disks i've tried have fallen apart and worn out quickly with exception to Clutchnet which is just unbelievably strong and well designed with pocketed springs in the hub.

If i wanted an everyday clutch that would last a long long time i would go with clutchnet everyday, in fact it was me that advertised them on here and got everyone hooked up to them. I would go with Yellow pressure plate and sprung hub kevlar disk they just last and last, only thin you need to be carefull off is the disk is so heavy duty you may need to get your flywheel machined to fit it or easier option is to get the Clutchnet ally flywheel but you may not want the loss in low end driveability from having a light fly but the original iron one can be machined to fit. Just thought i'd mention that, not sure if the A20 fly does have clearance issues but my ET/A18 2g lude flywheel did and had to be machined to fit, but as it was getting made into a 10lb lightwieght thing this wasn't really an issue :naughty:

bank2me
01-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks man the only thing is that It will be prolly a one day project and I would like something that will go right in with no modifying and I will just have to resurface the flywheel like I was going to put in a stock clutch.

MessyHonda
01-18-2009, 08:45 AM
just get the stage 1 stuff from clutchnet....it has more griping power than a stock replacement...trust me its better than what you have in now.

bank2me
01-18-2009, 04:35 PM
just get the stage 1 stuff from clutchnet....it has more griping power than a stock replacement...trust me its better than what you have in now.

That's what I'm prolly gonna get.