PDA

View Full Version : window tinting

jamesh23
01-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Is it worth doing yourself? I heard it is really hard and you should just have a professional do it instead?

OldSkoolA20accord
01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Its not worth the time and shitty look. Get it professionally done for like $60.

Too bad you dont live in east tenn. Buddy that works at the cop shop will tent your windows for the cost of the tint. same tint the use on cop cars.

evil88accordLX
01-11-2009, 09:03 PM
ive done it before with excellent results, but it is a major pain in the ass and takes up way more time than you would really like to spend. that said, if you do want to try it yourself, you will need a hairdryer that gets fairly hot and some kind of plastic blade (bondo putty spreader works excellent). those little squeeges that come in a tinting kit arent worth shit. you cant apply enough pressure to the film with them. and having someone with a good eye for detail on the outside looking for bubbles helps a whole lot as well. i personally would do like the others have suggested and get it done professionally. the headaches incured in doing it right just arent worth the time or effort involved.

MessyHonda
01-12-2009, 01:53 AM
i paid 150 to tint my whole car.....its worth it...i love my tint

jamesh23
01-12-2009, 06:10 AM
well this guy I know in town can do it pretty good, he said he would do it after his car, but so far he only tinted his two front windows in 2 months, and his wife ended up rolling down one of them after 2 hours and tearing the tint off, he would charge $100 plus the tint and thats the cheapest in town... sadly.

2oodoor
01-12-2009, 07:12 AM
you are looking at $160 to do a sedan, thatsa lotta windows
if you have like two or four windows you can get it done for less than 100 most places. It is very meticulous work and I recommend reading up on it first. It is handy to have a large glass to work off of, like a storm door or old sliding door. Dust free, wind free enviornment....too

Toneloc5145
01-12-2009, 08:36 AM
I would get it done professionly imo. The back window on the sedans, and most likely the coupe as well, is very hard to do without getting bubbles or looking like crap because of the way it is curved. Even the guy that professionally tinted my car said he had trouble with the back window. But the other windows are supposedly pretty easy. Also, you might want to wait to get it done when it is more warm out, so the tint will adhere better.

Rendon LX-i
01-12-2009, 08:38 AM
I would honestly do it professional. The guy that did mine had redo the back window 3 times lol he got it right. he was like damn i wasted money right there. SO if i would of done it lol the whole roll would of been gone.

Rendon

ghettogeddy
01-12-2009, 08:49 AM
i think i paid 180 for my 5 windows @20% in the hatch and like 220 for the 7 windows @5% on the sedan lol

bank2me
01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
I tinted mine on my hatch myself. It takes patience and no wind. I personally think that cutting the tint is the biggest bitch. I think I went trhough 3 rolls and I finally got the hang of it and my windows turned out decent. At one point I got a precut kit on ebay but the dude sent me the wrong peices. I used ALOT of soapy water too.:beat:

fogged
01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Just get a shop to do it and save yourself the time and trouble.

MessyHonda
01-13-2009, 01:18 AM
i think i paid 180 for my 5 windows @20% in the hatch and like 220 for the 7 windows @5% on the sedan lol

yeah now they are in my dx...i love the 5% tint in the back...its soo bad ass...black and gold.

DBMaster
01-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Be careful with tint. Make sure you pay for the top quality stuff. I had my LXi coupe tinted in 1991. Over the last couple of years the back window became as blurry as an old convertible with a plastic back window. There were no bubbles or purple color, but the older tints were laminated and mine was delaminating. I spent $240 last week to have it removed and redone. The guys who did it seemed very knowledgeable and professional. They said even the best tint usually doesn't go more than 8-10 years before deteriorating in some way. The sad thing for me is that there was no way to remove the tint from the back window other than scraping. I still have orange lines, but the metallic coating is totally gone. I guess it's a good thing I have used the defroster less than ten times in the life of the car. I am a little upset about it, but I did agree that there was no other way to get the old tint off. I noticed when trying to remove some of it that the only part that would peel off - with or without heat applied - was the inner ply. The part that was left on the glass was cloudy, brittle, and stuck to the glass very tenaciously. They told me that newer tint technology is different from what was available in the 90's, but I actually have a lifetime manufacturer's warranty now. If I still have the car in 8-10 years it's covered. If I happen to move somewhere where I need the rear defroster I will have to foot the bill for a new back glass and trim. We all know how bad the rubber coating on the trim gets. If it is removed I think it wil end up being a mess of rubber fragments.

On the positive side, having the window tint has definitely kept my interior in top shape. It was the top of the line tint in 1991 and it does appear to have blocked the UV rays. So, the back seat, door panels, etc. are in great shape.

MessyHonda
01-13-2009, 07:40 PM
also make sure you how dark you want it.....i went 20% in the back and 35% in the front and i get pulled over...on my other car i have 5% in the back and 50% in the front....and i like that combo much better

Hauntd ca3
01-14-2009, 10:56 PM
i used a stick on shade cloth type stuff on my rear window.
you have to look pretty close to see the wee holes in it and can stilll use the defroster

ghettogeddy
01-14-2009, 11:00 PM
i used a stick on shade cloth type stuff on my rear window.
you have to look pretty close to see the wee holes in it and can stilll use the defroster

are you talking about the shelf stuff lol man thats ghetto lol

Hauntd ca3
01-14-2009, 11:02 PM
nah mate , its not shelf stuff. lol
is proper car stuff.
have you seen those shade things that ypu pull up outta the rear parcel tray?
it looks similar to that but its stick on.
works a treathttp://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq140/h4untdca3/rearwindow002.jpg
is lookin the 6 or so years old that it is and aint a great pic
but you get the idea

Hazwan
01-15-2009, 03:55 AM
Haha I have smaller ones on my rear door windows. Works pretty well blocking the heat I must say.

evil88accordLX
01-15-2009, 12:13 PM
i dont think we have that stuff stateside. at least i have never seen it. perhaps you could ship some our way (hint hint).....

Hauntd ca3
01-15-2009, 10:30 PM
will see if its still availible

jamesh23
01-20-2009, 06:22 AM
my mom has some previous experience tinting windows, we bought the tint that can peel off and you can fix it if its messed up, it didnt come out bad, %5 tint, what should I put on the back window? its a hatch. 20%? The car looks sick.

Rendon LX-i
01-20-2009, 08:15 AM
wish my mom was good at that shit lol. save me alot of money.

bank2me
01-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Jamesh I would maybe go 20 because it's kinda hard to see out the back window with 5%. Unless you got stuff in the hatch you dont want anyone to see then Id go 5%. You should get pics of the car up.

ghettogeddy
01-20-2009, 01:47 PM
man always always stick the same % imho it looks silly different shades

jamesh23
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
well ya its hard to see out of already at 5% like my side windows, ill clean them though tonight, should I just do 5% on the back?

bank2me
01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
I guess just go 5% dude and see what happens.

MessyHonda
01-20-2009, 07:40 PM
any tint the front windshield?