PDA

View Full Version : Last gear is funny after stuck in deep snow

robear
01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
I recently got my 1989 accord (automatic,carbureted) stuck in deep snow so I was doing the old reverse to drive rocking to get it unstuck and I did but now when I get to where 4th should be it just revvs up like its not there until till I let off the gas and let the RPM's drop then I can feel it go into 4th gear and I can do hiway speeds but if I give it to much gas it slips out of gear again.The car was hicentered in deep snow do you think I messed something up in the snow or with all of the shifting from reverse to drive and back, it's only got 130k miles on the car and tranny, can I fix it or do I need to hunt for another tranny?Fluid level is OK.Drives fine in D2 and D3.

Josh89accord
01-12-2009, 04:38 PM
where you located? I've got an automatic trans that will be going to te jukyard, but if you want it ill sell it to ya cheap if your close by. and my guess would be you somehow screwed it up while getting it unstuck, not sure how.

robear
01-12-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm located near Wenachee,WA. in Ephrata little hick town.Do you think the cable or the linkage to the tranny from the shifter got outta wack somehow and is not letting it go all of the way into the D4 position?

lostforawhile
01-12-2009, 05:43 PM
you aren't supposed to rock an automatic car in snow!! thats how you burn up the transmission. you probably burned one of the bands or clutches inside of the tranny. theres even a warning in the owners manual, WARNING!! shifting the transmission from first to reverse to free the car will cause immediate and severe transmission damage which is not covered under warranty.

robear
01-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Where are u when I need u Lost4awhile?I didn't know that but now I do!OOOPS!I was by myself and didn't have any other choice.I was kinda far from civilization if you know what I mean, but I always take advise even if the damage is already done.Got a tranny?

Josh89accord
01-12-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm located in Jacksonville illinois. Central illinois right next to the capital springfield. if u want it say 50 bucks and its urs obo.

lostforawhile
01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
i forget exactly what happens to the bands but i think they overheat, the bands are what are activated by the servos in the tranny they engage the wet clutches depending on what gear you need at the time. if you are going to be in snow carry some play sand and some old floor mats, they even have those cheap 12 volt winches at walmart sometimes,the kind you hook to a solid object and a tow hook. they will pull your car off of a snow bank, and they stay in the trunk.

lostforawhile
01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
here's the link to some info, i think some of it is inaccurate though,every person i know who works on autos says even shifting back and forth from first and reverse is bad . does anyone remember if the accords transmission has band adjustments? maby the band that drives the fourth gear clutch set can be readjusted,it's probably damaged though http://www.dolphintransmissions.com/Tips.htm

Dr_Snooz
01-12-2009, 08:08 PM
here's the link to some info, i think some of it is inaccurate though,every person i know who works on autos says even shifting back and forth from first and reverse is bad . does anyone remember if the accords transmission has band adjustments? maby the band that drives the fourth gear clutch set can be readjusted,it's probably damaged though http://www.dolphintransmissions.com/Tips.htm

They don't even have a removable filter, much less adjustable bands. You pretty much drive them until you can't stand them anymore, throw them out and swap in a manual.

Before you go replacing your trans, check a few basics. Take a look underneath to make sure that your shift cable isn't bent. Also look topside to be sure your TV cable is adjusted properly. You say that the fluid level is correct, but see if it's black and cruddy or smelling burnt. If it is, that's bad news. You mention that when you step on the gas it "comes out of gear." That sounds like slipping, but it could be an adjustment. If you're slipping you're pretty much looking at a new tranny, but make sure that it isn't something easy before you start down that road.

Let us know what you find. Good luck!

robear
01-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Well for one the transmission fluid smells burnt,but I just got the car so I don't known how well the person before me treated it.Also I didn't shift gears while depressing the accelerator pedal,I applied the brakes before shifting,but I WAS following deep ruts in the snow and felt the underside of my car high centering right down the middle on packed snow.Two more questions please,is the linkage cable easily damaged by that and if I replace my fluid might that fix it.I don't have much money and the body and the engine of the car are in very good running condition so I don't want to give up that quick!

lostforawhile
01-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Well for one the transmission fluid smells burnt,but I just got the car so I don't known how well the person before me treated it.Also I didn't shift gears while depressing the accelerator pedal,I applied the brakes before shifting,but I WAS following deep ruts in the snow and felt the underside of my car high centering right down the middle on packed snow.Two more questions please,is the linkage cable easily damaged by that and if I replace my fluid might that fix it.I don't have much money and the body and the engine of the car are in very good running condition so I don't want to give up that quick!if you fried the transmission i'm sure someone on here will sell you one cheap!! usually they get thrown away and swapped for 5 speeds.

Dr_Snooz
01-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Check the shift and TV cables first. If those are good, you can try a fluid change or even a flush, but no guarantees.

2oodoor
01-13-2009, 04:17 AM
Check the shift and TV cables first. If those are good, you can try a fluid change or even a flush, but no guarantees.

^^^^this one sounds reasonable
If it pulls at all and shifts into second the tranny likely is going to be ok. You probably bent something and have the TV cable out of sych, as well could be it needs fluid change too.
Damaged motor mounts affect shift points as well on these. Probabaly not to the degree you are describing but when it comes to the fine adjustment of it, indeed it does.
Rocking an automatic takes a skill, not to destroy it. 4X4 trucks have autos, you just need to time that the gears enguage fully before gassing it, just as you would shifting a manual between 1st and Reverse, you dont hammer it until you know the gear is in. Still like Lost says, not a recommended practice.

A18A
01-13-2009, 04:40 AM
you aren't supposed to rock an automatic car in snow!! thats how you burn up the transmission. you probably burned one of the bands or clutches inside of the tranny. theres even a warning in the owners manual, WARNING!! shifting the transmission from first to reverse to free the car will cause immediate and severe transmission damage which is not covered under warranty.

i wish that would happen to mine, instead i just break cv joints :thumbdn:

robear
01-13-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm a pretty good mechanic I've done complete engine rebuilds with good success on my nissan truck and various snowmobile engines how hard would it be for me to rebuild my automatic tranmission myself?Do I need special tools?

bank2me
01-13-2009, 02:13 PM
My buddy got his 97 saturn sc1 stuck in snow and he went from reverse to drive with the car FLOORED. Talk about building up some heat. Im surprised his car is still going too he usually goes from nuetral to drive revvin it at 4 grand and dropping it into drive rolling downhill! He has done it many times and nothing breaks i dont know how the hell his saturn is still driving. It has been to hell and back! He doesnt know how to take care of a car.

lostforawhile
01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm a pretty good mechanic I've done complete engine rebuilds with good success on my nissan truck and various snowmobile engines how hard would it be for me to rebuild my automatic tranmission myself?Do I need special tools?if you are a good mechanic, read up on five speed swaps get the parts from a donor car and swap in the five speed. use the auto for a boat anchor. if you have any mechanical experience at all you can do it. there are excellent write ups on here. the auto in these cars is a complete slug.

robear
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Lostforawhile,do u know where to get an 86-89 accord with a blown up engine and an manuel tranny close to washington state.Can't spend more than three or four hundred bucks right now?Thanx!

lostforawhile
01-14-2009, 03:33 AM
Lostforawhile,do u know where to get an 86-89 accord with a blown up engine and an manuel tranny close to washington state.Can't spend more than three or four hundred bucks right now?Thanx!you probably need to put up a post on here because most of the guys on this site know where the parts are

1987AccordLx-i
01-14-2009, 11:40 PM
i wish that would happen to mine, instead i just break cv joints :thumbdn:

haha that happenes to me too