PDA

View Full Version : Overheating at idle ONLY

86lx-i
01-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Just got the car. dont know anything about it really.

car stays VERY cool and low and high speeds. alittle more than a quarter. i was really suprised.

but if i leave it at idle for about 10, 15, 20min it overheats. today i was sitting in the parking lot of the bank waiting for my girlfriend, and it was at almost 3/4 just sitting for 10min.

any help??

cubert
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Is the radiator fan coming on when it sits there?

86lx-i
01-12-2009, 04:52 PM
it might not be?? why though?? bad t-stat??

A18A
01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
might be that little switch thingy in the bottom of the radiator, you can un plug it and put a paper clip or something to jump the 2 wires, and if the fan works, then it probably is that little switch

86lx-i
01-12-2009, 05:09 PM
might be that little switch thingy in the bottom of the radiator, you can un plug it and put a paper clip or something to jump the 2 wires, and if the fan works, then it probably is that little switch

hmm i'll have to look. never seen it

robear
01-12-2009, 05:16 PM
MY friend had a CRX that did the same thing he rigged up a toggle switch in the cab to manuely turn the radiator fan off or on that seemed to work fine but it could be the t-stat or coolant pump.

nswst8
01-12-2009, 05:23 PM
If you unplug the the fan switch at the bottom of the radiator and apply 12v to it, fans should come on, this will let you know if you need to replace it.

If it is good, change the thermostat

Rendon LX-i
01-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Try to see if you fan is working correctly buy looping the plug that plugs into the fan switch "putting a wire in a U shape into the plug". this makes em ground out and turns em on. IF they dont then thats your problem. the switch is located on the bottom of the radiator its the only one next to the drain hole. NEXt i would change your thermostate. Half the time thats the mean cause of the overheating. When you get a new thermostate ask for a colder one instead of the normal stock one. Then maybe flushing your coolant and bleeding it. all these are the cause of Overheating

Rendon

Toneloc5145
01-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Most likely your either low on coolant, have air in the system, or your thermostat is leaking. All easy fixes, first I would check to make sure both your coolant resevoir and radiator are at the right levels.

headbanger
01-12-2009, 07:12 PM
I had the same problem on my honda today as a matter of fact I looped sensor wire and only 1 of my fans was running come to find out the primary fans fuse had blowed in the fuse box under hood.

Dr_Snooz
01-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I had the same problem on my honda today as a matter of fact I looped sensor wire and only 1 of my fans was running come to find out the primary fans fuse had blowed in the fuse box under hood.

YES!!! Check your fuses!

MessyHonda
01-13-2009, 07:06 AM
yeah most of these guys got it.....my water pump went out so it would get hot at like stoplights but when i started driving it would go down.....mine needed a new t-stat....and if fixed the problem when i got a new water pump