PDA

View Full Version : Power steering bubbling and overflow from reservoir

AC439
01-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Well, I was working on changing the front UCA and noticed wet around the PS reservoir. Sure enough, fluid level was below low mark. So, I started the engine and watched inside the reservoir and it forms bubbles, the bubbles move in a direction from the passenger side to the driver side inside the reservoir. This is the first time ever with this PS problem. However, I have not noticed any lost of power steering yet. First thing I did was to top it up to the top mark. But I couldn't test or observed it further due to bad weather.

Came back inside the house and started luring in this forum. It seems to me there is a possible suction leak (more likely) or pump issue. I also breezed through the service manual and it also refers to suction leak if there is bubbles. But I'm a little unclear about the diagram in the manual. There seems to be 3 hosts attached to the reservoir ? I would assume the top one is return, from the PS cooler at the front bumper. The lowest one is the feed to the suction side of the pump. There seems to be another one at the back of the pump which the manual called it the return line? Please correct me if I'm wrong with the above information.

What should be my next step to check things out? Especially air suction leak? Since there will be no fluid leak from air suction, how do I go diagnose and find the leak? So far, my quick checking around has only review overflow and bubbling inside the reservoir.

Thanks. - AC

LX-incredible
01-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Check the suction line on the pump. More than likely you have a bad shaft seal on the pump. If that's the case you will notice a bit of oil between the pump and pulley, and likely a fine mist on the hood and core support. That's what the problem was with mine. Really not too difficult to rebuild.

AC439
01-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks. Will look into that. Is there anywhere I can get a rebuilt kit ? Do NAPA or autozone sell them?

LX-incredible
01-13-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.thehondapartsstore.com.

91316-PB2-003 O-RING (14.5X1.5) (NOK) $1.26
91201-PC1-003 OIL SEAL (16X30X7) (NOK) $3.94
2 X 91303-PH1-004 SEAL, HOUSING (ARAI) $2.97
91307-PH1-004 SEAL, PLUNGER $4.60
2 X 91322-PH1-004 O-RING (18.3X1.9) (ARAI) $1.61

About $19 total.

AC439
01-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks much ! I will definitely check into that !

russiankid
01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Rebuilding the pump is a piece of cake. It comes apart into 3 halves, and all the seals are easy to remove. Only trouble part is removing the bolt on the pulley. Its left hand thread and its hard to hold the pulley in place.

2oodoor
01-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Honda Ps Fluid Only

AC439
01-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys for the advice ! I definitely found oil between the pulley and the pump and a mist of oil trace on the engine hood corresponding to the pump location. I'll be ordering the seals for rebuild and I know I need to use Honda fluid and I have been using it.

I watched the reservoir when I started the engine. I noticed foam formed inside the reservoir right away. So, if the pump shaft seal is sucking air in, the whole system is pumping bubbles ? Last time I had that much foam and bubbles overflow was I mistakenly put regular dish washing detergent inside a dish washing machine.

In the meantime while I am waiting for the parts, can I just take the PS pump belt off and drive it like without PS assistance ? I do need to use the car but I'm afraid I may damage the pump if I left it spinning with foam and low fluid level.

Thanks !

LX-incredible
01-15-2009, 02:56 PM
In the meantime while I am waiting for the parts, can I just take the PS pump belt off and drive it like without PS assistance ? I do need to use the car but I'm afraid I may damage the pump if I left it spinning with foam and low fluid level.

Yes.

AC439
01-16-2009, 05:33 AM
http://www.thehondapartsstore.com.

91316-PB2-003 O-RING (14.5X1.5) (NOK) $1.26
91201-PC1-003 OIL SEAL (16X30X7) (NOK) $3.94
2 X 91303-PH1-004 SEAL, HOUSING (ARAI) $2.97
91307-PH1-004 SEAL, PLUNGER $4.60
2 X 91322-PH1-004 O-RING (18.3X1.9) (ARAI) $1.61

About $19 total.

Hi...I have a quick question before I order these parts. I went to the web site and able to find the diagram and the reference to the above seals except the first one (91316-PB2-003). Where is it located and do I need it ? thanks. - AC

VIPER1988
01-16-2009, 08:38 AM
i would just go to advance auto parts and order the rebuild kit. its like 15 or 16 bucks and only take one day to get.

AC439
01-16-2009, 10:28 AM
i would just go to advance auto parts and order the rebuild kit. its like 15 or 16 bucks and only take one day to get.

Thanks, I also found the rebuild kit in both advanced and autozone. They both refer to Duralast #8636 and it costs $14. But I also read somewhere in 3geez that the o-ring for the high pressure hose doesn't fit ? - AC

LX-incredible
01-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi...I have a quick question before I order these parts. I went to the web site and able to find the diagram and the reference to the above seals except the first one (91316-PB2-003). Where is it located and do I need it ? thanks. - AC

It's the seal between the housing and the piece that the suction hose connects to. I suppose you could leave that part attached, but it wouldn't be a full rebuild then... I would also replace the high pressure hose o-ring (91370-SB3-950).

Be careful buying cheap rebuild kits, I would make absolutely sure the shaft seal is a NOK or other oem manufacturer. Also remember that they may only include the external seals, not the internal. I have found that you can usually get seals, some bearings, and other small items from the online dealers for less than the aftermarket crap. Check to see what that kit includes and on the quality before you buy.

nfs480
01-16-2009, 03:53 PM
My car has developed this same problem. I started the car with the hood open and a bunch of brown foam overflowed through the cap on the reservoir. It stopped now that my fluid level is below the min mark but if I top it off up to or above the min mark it foams again. I am using only Genuine Honda power steering fluid. Does anyone have a walkthrough that shows or talks about how to rebuild the power steering pump? I noticed a brand new one from Majestic Honda is $408!

Dr_Snooz
01-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Page 18-24 of the manual, available here:

Shop Manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php)

nfs480
01-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks, I actually just flushed the fluid and it seems to have solved the foaming problem, for now at least. If it happens again anytime soon i'll be replacing the pump.

AC439
01-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm happy to report that my PS bubble/foaming has been resolved by changing the shaft seal on the pump.

I ended up order the seal from Rockauto and it was the only thing I changed. I knew this was not a complete rebuilt but I have financial constraint so I was only able to buy the seal and the vacuum advance (also broken).

But I'm happy to have the PS up and running again. I drove the car with the PS belt off for a week and I didn't like the car without PS. It was especially difficult moving in and out in the parking lot and the force needed was much greater that I expected without PS assistance.

-AC

russiankid
01-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Glad you got it fixed. I rebuilt my whole pump as I didn't want to take it off again.

86ccord
01-25-2009, 06:50 PM
glad yo ugot it fixed!

nfs480
05-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Well, mine is foaming again. I'm planning on rebuilding the pump when I replace my a/c compressor next week since the pump has to be removed to access the compressor. Problem is the two seals (91322-PH1-004) appear to be on back order and the dealership doesn't know when they'll be able to get them. I was able to get all of the rest of the seals from Majestic. I was wondering if it's hard on the rack and pinion if I drive the car without the pump installed for a while (could be several months).

lostforawhile
05-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Well, mine is foaming again. I'm planning on rebuilding the pump when I replace my a/c compressor next week since the pump has to be removed to access the compressor. Problem is the two seals (91322-PH1-004) appear to be on back order and the dealership doesn't know when they'll be able to get them. I was able to get all of the rest of the seals from Majestic. I was wondering if it's hard on the rack and pinion if I drive the car without the pump installed for a while (could be several months).you can get a rebuild kit aftermarket, I think I got mine from advance. they are easy to rebuild. the only thing that didn't fit in the kit, was a metric O ring, got one from Nappa instead.

nfs480
05-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Yeah, i'm trying to decide whether to pick it up or not. The problem is that Majestic already sent me the other O-Rings so I don't know if I should buy the kit when I only need two O-Rings from it, maybe I will though.

lostforawhile
05-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah, i'm trying to decide whether to pick it up or not. The problem is that Majestic already sent me the other O-Rings so I don't know if I should buy the kit when I only need two O-Rings from it, maybe I will though.
the kit wasn't that much put the extra pieces up you may need them someday

nfs480
05-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah, probably a good idea.

jmkeefover
08-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I know this is an old post and I am a "NOOB", But I just replaced my timing belt as well and ran into this same problem. I was thing that It might have been a coincidence then I read about how many people have this same problem. I started thinking about one thing these all had in common. We all took our power steering belt off!!! So now you are saying Yes ....yes we did but what does this have to do with anything. The answer is. The power steering pump was good when you took the belt off. The only thing that changed was the belt tension. If the tension on the power steering belt is too tight it will cause the shaft to ride heavy on one side of the seal allowing air to enter the pump. Re adjust the tension on your belt. And this should fix your problem.. Just thought I would give back to the forum that pointed me in the right direction. Thanks

Jordan

"You don't trouble shoot with a shotgun, so why would you shotgun trouble shooting"

LX-incredible
08-05-2010, 12:11 PM
^You'd have to get the belt pretty damn tight to do that...

There's one thing I've been meaning to add to this thread.. When you go to rebuild your pump (it's actually pretty easy) install the shaft seal last, after the pump is assembled. This will allow the seal to go on straight without damage.