PDA

View Full Version : cherry bomb glass pack

jamesh23
01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
I bought a cherry bomb from autozone for $25, now im super confused because I thought it was a straight thru muffler, the mechanice I was gonna have do my exhaust work said its not a muffler and i'd still need one, I have enough for a muffler just if I did I wouldnt have enough to get it installed, besides I wanted to take out my car and my resonator, would it just be cheaper to build my own DIY exhaust? the shop will weld it i'd have to bolt it on.

evil88accordLX
01-14-2009, 05:23 PM
the cherry bomb glass pack IS a muffler. the mechanic you spoke with is trying to play on your lack of knowledge and get you to give him more money for another muffler. depending on where you live, the glass pack might not cover emissions though, and you very well may need a different muffler. if you do put that thing on, make a soundbite. i wanna see what an A20 sounds like with one attached. as far as a DIY exhaust, get online and look for exhaust piping kits on summit or nopi or some other reputable parts site. they will supply you with more than enough pipe to get what you need for somewhat of an affordable price.

2ndGenGuy
01-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Is a resonator the same thing as a muffler? I thought a Cherry Bomb was technically a resonator?

greentee76
01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
A 3gee IMO does not sound very good with just a cherry bomb. I ran mine like that for about a month, then again it was just welded to the downtube and ended up with the exit right about at the backseat area so it trapped alot of the sound under the car. I left it there and added a stock muffler to the rear, so I guess I'm using it like a resonator now:).

lostforawhile
01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
the cherry bomb glass pack IS a muffler. the mechanic you spoke with is trying to play on your lack of knowledge and get you to give him more money for another muffler. depending on where you live, the glass pack might not cover emissions though, and you very well may need a different muffler. if you do put that thing on, make a soundbite. i wanna see what an A20 sounds like with one attached. as far as a DIY exhaust, get online and look for exhaust piping kits on summit or nopi or some other reputable parts site. they will supply you with more than enough pipe to get what you need for somewhat of an affordable price.
i've had a sound bite up for years,i would have run it all the way up,but really hard to do in town. especially with an idiot on a cell phone pulling in front of me and doing 20 under the limit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgyhiisKun4

Rendon LX-i
01-14-2009, 07:06 PM
yeah man its a muffler take your 3gee back and tell him to put that glass pack on. There are other types of mufflers that can reduce backpressure. One type, sometimes called a glass pack or a cherry bomb, uses only absorption to reduce the sound. On a muffler like this, the exhaust goes straight through a pipe that is perforated with holes. Surrounding this pipe is a layer of glass insulation that absorbs some of the pressure pulses. A steel housing surrounds the insulation. Soo meaning that guy dont know what the hell he talking bout.

Rendon

OldSkoolA20accord
01-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Dude yea. like everyone said. a cherry bomb is a swirll design glass pack muffler. I ran open headers, cherrybomb, and cherry bomb with a canister muffler. the cherry bomb with a 3a racing muffler is the best ive done. i bought everything at autozone. thats your best bet. i forgot i had a video of it when it was throwin flames. here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c4xiKTozzE

(im not the fucking idiot laughing.

you can kinda hear it in this one too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS5BFoPZgDI

OldSkoolA20accord
01-14-2009, 08:44 PM
oh and its actually a big ass tube with steel mesh on the inside with a bindey design. with 2 different types of fiberglass cloth wrapped in between the mesh and the pipe.

I understand bro a couple years i was like you. just trying to find out how to do shit and how to make shit work. and now look at me. i made my 2000 kia spectra do 141 mph and my 88 accord hatch do 125. I think i know how to make shit go faster. bahahaha

jamesh23
01-14-2009, 09:19 PM
oh and its actually a big ass tube with steel mesh on the inside with a bindey design. with 2 different types of fiberglass cloth wrapped in between the mesh and the pipe.

I understand bro a couple years i was like you. just trying to find out how to do shit and how to make shit work. and now look at me. i made my 2000 kia spectra do 141 mph and my 88 accord hatch do 125. I think i know how to make shit go faster. bahahaha

I didnt think it was possible to get past 115 in our cars? I thought it had an electronic governor wouldnt you have to bypass it somehow? but anyway im just gonna tell him it should take long to cut off my current muffler, jack the car up, weld in a reducer and weld on the glass pack, ill prolly get a tip for it too cuz I dont like a red thing stickin outta my blue hatch haha.

turabaka
01-14-2009, 09:31 PM
nope no governor in our cars. I would know cause I've been to 125 in my hatchy as well.

OldSkoolA20accord
01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
hell yea dude they will reach it with little mods. mine did and im rollin carbed son. when i change the rod and put my weber on ill take a vid for ya. i think turabaka is runnin a weber. but i could be mistaken

It will only pull in 4th. 5th is just a holdin gear pretty much.

turabaka
01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
hell yea dude they will reach it with little mods. mine did and im rollin carbed son. when i change the rod and put my weber on ill take a vid for ya. i think turabaka is runnin a weber. but i could be mistaken

It will only pull in 4th. 5th is just a holdin gear pretty much.

yep 38 weber, and so true about fifth. I can't do crap in fifth gear. :(

OldSkoolA20accord
01-14-2009, 10:29 PM
but hell. 125 is good for a 20 year old car with 98 hp. lol

turabaka
01-14-2009, 10:42 PM
but hell. 125 is good for a 20 year old car with 98 hp. lol

Hell yeah it is. I'm thinking about getting my car dynoed later this week, to see how much power I really have. The place is about a mile away from my house. Think I should go, or wait until after I get a Delta 272 cam?

DBMaster
01-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Well, I can only vouch for 120 in my LXi when it was only three years old. That was at sea level (lived in Corpus Christi) on a totally flat road with the throttle wide open for at least ten minutes. I don't see how these cars could go much faster other than on a very steep mountain road downhill.

OldSkoolA20accord
01-15-2009, 04:12 AM
i dwait for the cam. or go before and after to see how much power it adds.

And i dont know what to tell you. im not lieing about how fast i was going the road i did 125 on is flat. maybe because yours is heavier

2oodoor
01-15-2009, 04:49 AM
before and after yes yes

I dunno my fifth gear pulls pretty good with light throttle, flooring it, not so much

resonators are technicaly mufflers, they muffler..correct?

cherry bombs do not muffle much indeed, I had a streight thru glasspack on mine (smittys or thrush type) and a resonator tip well beyond the rear bumper. It was not loud at all inside the car, but riding behind it was annoying. If you get the end past the rear bumper and not just at the rear bumper, it makes a HUGE difference inside the car as far as sound.

jamesh23
01-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Ok, I talked to my mechanics teacher who is also the welding teacher, I had welding two years in a row and I took a semester off but I have the class again and he said that he would let me use the stuff to build my exhaust, what should i buy?

OldSkoolA20accord
01-15-2009, 07:00 PM
you have the glasspack so measure the pipe and get the correct reducers for it. also but a 3a racing muffler. I say just keep the stock bend. thats what i did. also you will need to grind off the old hangers or fab your own. i say get about 4 foot of pipe.

turabaka
01-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm running 2.25 mandrel bent exhaust, with a magnaflow muffler, and cat. I'm also running a smaller glasspack right after the cat. That's where I'd put the cherrybomb.

It's very deep sounding. No raspiness at all, and whisper quiet at idle. Just loud as all fuck with any throttle.

evil88accordLX
01-15-2009, 08:13 PM
make sure you just tack it first than do a test fit. if there is a problem with the fittament, its easier to undo a small tack weld than a whole entire one.

jamesh23
01-15-2009, 08:41 PM
what kind of welding type should I do? mig? tig? arc? how do I take off my cat? will I have to cut anything out?

evil88accordLX
01-15-2009, 09:14 PM
do what you are most comfortable with, that way your welds will come out the best. i would think mig would be easiest doing an exhaust, but thats just me.

your cat should be held in by 3 bolts on either side of it. they are probably all rusted to hell and wont wanna come off. if you live in a state that has no emissions tests or inspection, leave it off. especially if you are making a whole new exhaust. it would save you time and trouble. if you are in a state that requires it, try to cut as close to the flange as possible and weld the new pipe to the existing flange. you could also be sneeky and knock out all the catalyst inside the cat with a broom handle or really long screwdriver first. that would give the appearance of having a cat but flow straight through like you dont have one. you didnt hear this from me, the car came like that, right?

jamesh23
01-15-2009, 09:24 PM
do what you are most comfortable with, that way your welds will come out the best. i would think mig would be easiest doing an exhaust, but thats just me.

your cat should be held in by 3 bolts on either side of it. they are probably all rusted to hell and wont wanna come off. if you live in a state that has no emissions tests or inspection, leave it off. especially if you are making a whole new exhaust. it would save you time and trouble. if you are in a state that requires it, try to cut as close to the flange as possible and weld the new pipe to the existing flange. you could also be sneeky and knock out all the catalyst inside the cat with a broom handle or really long screwdriver first. that would give the appearance of having a cat but flow straight through like you dont have one. you didnt hear this from me, the car came like that, right?

i thought the cat was attached to the pipe? where is it located?
i could just take it off?

evil88accordLX
01-15-2009, 09:50 PM
it is attached to the pipe. look under your car at the exhaust. you will see mostly just pipe, but there is also a flex pipe and a catalytic converter. the flex pipe looks like a braided section that is between two normal sections of pipe. its towards the front of the car, and allows the exhaust to flex a bit when the engine rocks as the throttle is applied. looking back farther on your cars exhaust, there will be a fatter section that is roughly a foot or so long with a triangular flange on either end. this is your catalytic converter. it might have a heat shield over it so it isnt completely visible. there is definitely a heat shield between the cat and the floor of the car. if you can get away with ditching the cat, do so. you may want to keep the flex pipe though. if you dont, your new exhaust will move whenever you put your foot on the gas, and it may actually bang the floor of the car. ive only seen that in one instance, but it sure was loud and annoying.

2oodoor
01-16-2009, 04:56 AM
what Kind Of Welding Type Should I Do? Mig? Tig? Arc? How Do I Take Off My Cat? Will I Have To Cut Anything Out?

Mig

jamesh23
01-16-2009, 09:25 AM
should I just have the guy at the muffler shop take off my cat and resonator and just weld on the muffler my self? anyway ill try my best lol.

Rendon LX-i
01-16-2009, 12:51 PM
IF they do that. here yak town they wont take off a CAT UNless you know the person good. But if your that far man might as well let the guy finish it.

jamesh23
01-16-2009, 11:13 PM
he cut off my old muffler and welded on the cherry bomb for 50, I got to admit you cant tell that much when its just idling, but when your driving it sounds nice, its loud but not really loud, and its deep, not raspy at all, they said they just wanted to cut out the cat and run a test pipe all the way back to the glasspack.