PDA

View Full Version : 3geez Calendar Discussion Thread

2oodoor
01-15-2009, 10:32 AM
I thought or maybe I was just dreaming...
there was a plan to make an AOM calander at some point.
What kind of money and project would we be talking about to accomplish this?
I searched btw, nothing came up unless I was sperlled it wong

2ndGenGuy
01-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I'd bet a local print shop could make up calendars for cheap. I'd be willing to take on this task if nobody else already has.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Kinko's... er FedEx Office (what a retarded name) will make calendars for $20 each.

84Accord
01-15-2009, 11:09 AM
id totally be down to buy a few! would it be for example all of 2008s aom on a 2009 calendar?

ghettogeddy
01-15-2009, 11:38 AM
id totally be down to buy a few! would it be for example all of 2008s aom on a 2009 calendar?

yes

and i bet cafe press will do them

2ndGenGuy
01-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Yup. CafePress will do it for $14.99 it looks like. What we need then are HIGH RESOLUTION photos. 1024x768 will not cut it, unless that's all we can get. In other words, the photos in the AOM threads aren't good enough.

I guess what I'll do is PM all the AOM'ers and ask them to e-mail me all the photos, then I'll update them here.

ghettogeddy
01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
or have them take a new photo

88LXi68
01-15-2009, 12:11 PM
i would buy an AOM calendar or a calendar with 12 best cars on 3geez. it is kind of pointless to make a calendar now though. shoot for 2010

ghettogeddy
01-15-2009, 12:12 PM
i would buy an AOM calendar or a calendar with 12 best cars on 3geez. it is kind of pointless to make a calendar now though. shoot for 2010

awwww i want my car on a calender lol

2ndGenGuy
01-15-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't see why it's pointless. January isn't even over yet. And there are still 12 months left. January guy would kinda get the shaft though...

84Accord
01-15-2009, 12:52 PM
awwww i want my car on a calender lol

lol exactly why i wanted one :) but why not do a collage of the photos on the aom with a shortened list of mods?

88LXi68
01-15-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't see why it's pointless. January isn't even over yet. And there are still 12 months left. January guy would kinda get the shaft though...

by the time new pics are gathered, sent to cafe press and made we will be in feb. most people already have their '09 calendars. those calendar stores in the mall disappear after the holidays lol just my opinion though

2ndGenGuy
01-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Okay, I think you guys are right. Lets shoot for a 2010 calendar. Maybe we should submit pictures and set up a vote. Then we pick from the favorite pictures. I think we should be ordering 2010 calendars by August.

A18A
01-15-2009, 03:50 PM
fuck yeah what a mint idea. i'll deffinately buy one

Vanilla Sky
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Nice, I need to get my car AOM ready, then.

codyJDM
01-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Yup. CafePress will do it for $14.99 it looks like. What we need then are HIGH RESOLUTION photos. 1024x768 will not cut it, unless that's all we can get. In other words, the photos in the AOM threads aren't good enough.

I guess what I'll do is PM all the AOM'ers and ask them to e-mail me all the photos, then I'll update them here.

I can get my car in HDR in 3000 x something ridiculous(too bad I am not an AOM haha). Gotta love a DSLR. Let me know what the plans are, I'd love to have one. :)

Rendon LX-i
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
I figured that i would already be accord of the month by now LOL. i guess nobody likes my accord. but i have time now i guess. Going to have to get one when it comes out.

2ndGenGuy
01-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Well what do you guys think? Should we do AOMs, or should we do a photography contest? Because CafePress has 18 month calendars for $20.00 and we could not only get more use out of them, but we could order them sooner, start using them mid-way through 2009, and we could get more cars in it.

A18A
01-15-2009, 07:10 PM
a proper photography contest. good pics of standard accords > bad pics of done up accords

Hazwan
01-15-2009, 07:34 PM
a Proper Photography Contest. Good Pics Of Standard Accords > Bad Pics Of Done Up Accords

X2!!!

88LXi68
01-15-2009, 07:38 PM
photography contest...and I am a horrible photographer w/ a shitty camera!

2ndGenGuy
01-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Well the good news is, there probably aren't 18 people here who are professional photographers. So you chances are still good! You gotta know somebody who can take good pictures... or look for a striving photographer in your area who might come take a few pics for $50 or someone who wants to get their photos in a calendar. I think the idea is to make this calendar top notch!

88LXi68
01-16-2009, 05:35 AM
I await your official thread w/ the rules and deadlines for the calendar. An, idea for all the cars that are not used for a month because of lower res pics...make a collage with all the cars for the cover.

markmdz89hatch
01-16-2009, 05:48 AM
I'll gladly support the cause and buy one. Maybe we should set the price so that each calendar purchase puts a few $$ back into running the board.

2oodoor
01-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Nice, I need to get my car AOM ready, then.

mee too, need decent photo shoot

cal never too late

2ndGenGuy
01-16-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm with Mark on the donation of extra money to the site. Might raise the price a couple bucks, but it's not that bad considering we'll have some badass calendars!

So do we want to shoot for printing the calendars on April 1? Should give us all enough time to plan photoshoots and find some good weather days. I say we have our photos submitted to the new thread I'll create with a deadline of March 7. That gives us 2 weeks of voting time... the polls will close on March 21st and then a week for me to put it together based on the results. Picture with the most votes will be at the beginning of the calendar, and will be put in chronological order based on vote count.

I should clear this with the admins, I suppose first. But since it's going to help fund the board a bit, I'm sure they won't mind. I'll get started on the pic submission thread.

2ndGenGuy
01-16-2009, 08:50 AM
I await your official thread w/ the rules and deadlines for the calendar. An, idea for all the cars that are not used for a month because of lower res pics...make a collage with all the cars for the cover.

That's a great idea! We'll do that!

markmdz89hatch
01-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Not that my car will be ready by then (if ever), but all the other winter guys (hey, that includes you too) will be hard pressed to get good outdoor pictures by March 7th without running the risk of snow/salt/shit still being on the roads and ground. My vote goes to lining everything up for a 2K10 12 mo. calendar.

87roach
01-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Excellent idea! I would buy one forsure. However as nark has said us winter guys may not get the best times to shoot some photos, oh well I will hope for the best.

2ndGenGuy
01-16-2009, 09:39 AM
I see your point. I forget about you guys and your rust and salt. Okay well then lets wait it out through summer. How long until they quit salting your roads out that way and you finally can take your cars outside without them slowly corroding away? :lol:

You have all that snow, and you can't go play in it with your cars? :(

2oodoor
01-16-2009, 10:01 AM
photography contest...and I am a horrible photographer w/ a shitty camera!

Would anyone take offense to me having a couple made in a simple form, using existing photos on the board?

88LXi68
01-16-2009, 11:02 AM
I think the pics should be submitted at anytime up until June 1st, but here is the catch...after june 1st no more submissions can be made and voting will begin on june 2nd and end on aug 1st. that should give plenty of time to compile pics and send to cafepress or whatever company chosen. I think participants should submit 2 pics per car, but once you submit those 2 pics, that's it. no edits, no additions or deletions. SOOOO, that allows the guys who do not drive their car in the winter a chance to get some decent pics with nice weather and the guys who drive their car in the winter to maybe get a snow background pic which could be used for the winter months. I do not think mod lists should be listed.

more suggestions guys

markmdz89hatch
01-16-2009, 11:23 AM
I like Steve's timeline that he suggested. As for mod-list, I don't think things like 'flipped-lid' or 'top-hat mod' and things list that should be included on the list, but a short list of mods would be ok. ...as in if you have your engine built, we don't need to know what head gasket, head studs, piston rings, cam, valve size, etc you went with, just 'rebuilt motor' or 'high-compression n/a build'. A short list, overview of mods I think is OK.

I like the idea of the voting for the 12 cars to be featured, and maybe also 2 or 3 pictures of different angles, etc for the same car on the 'calendar' page of the month.

I'll post up an idea of what I mean.

2oodoor
01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
agreed on the mod list, like changed oil last week, new ngk plugs, spray painted glove box.. blah blah blah..

2ndGenGuy
01-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I think that one picture would be best. It's going to be quite the clusterfuck just voting on submissions from everybody. If someone wants to submit a single JPEG with a collage of thier car from mutiple angles, that would be fine too. But I think it needs to be set in stone right now that people can submit ONE photo to make this easier on everybody. I think photo quality should take huge priority. Even if someone has a kick ass car, without a good picture, the calendar will look like crap. If all you have is a bunch of small photos, do some photoshop work, combine them, make them look sweet.

I know we may not be able to achieve the "Barnes and Noble" quality calendar, but why shouldn't we TRY for it. We want to represent our cars as best as possible. I'm definitely going to set up minimum guidelines as far as image resolution goes. I don't want blocky, blurry pictures in the catalog. I'll have to research what we'll need that will look decent, but not be so high that we can't get the pics out of a point and shoot.

Also, I think the mod list should be limited to 5 lines of about 6-7 words at the max. It will be small and inconspicuous in the one of the corners of the photo. It will be added in during creation of the calendar. Please DON'T add the mods list into your JPEG yourself. In agreement about the "Castrol GTX 10-30 Motor Oil" list too. Worthy mods listed will be at the Moderator's discretion, so no whining if we don't like it. :) No text whatsoever should be allowed in the images, as it will be added during creation to keep the look somewhat consistent.

Also, as far as the calendar itself goes, the part with the big square grid, I think it should be left very basic. Black grid, Ariel font for numbers, maybe red numbers for holidays and Sundays. We want it to look good in anybody's office or house and still be functional.

After I figure out the proper resolution, I will create a new thread tonight for the photo submission. We can discuss modifying the rules here. But the rules will be laid out in a single post, with each post after being a photo submission. No discussion will be allowed in that thread.

2oodoor
01-17-2009, 03:56 AM
good points ^^
What would be wrong with the current AOM (12 members) for 08,( just as a random example) most of those pics seemed worthy IMO

fogged
01-17-2009, 07:25 AM
I like all of this^^^ Im down for a few at $20 bucks. Thats a real good deal. I also like the idea of a photo contest. If we used an 18 month cal we could have the last 12 AOM winners as well as the 08 and 09 AOY winners and 4 non-AOM, AOY winners. That way the average 3gee has a chance. Hell the whole thing could get some of the newest members tryin' to get that AOM, or AOY title. All and all I think its a great idea.:jaw:

Tdurr
01-20-2009, 02:19 PM
hells yea. ill put in one soon.. ill get my boy to take some sick photos...

bank2me
02-04-2009, 10:19 PM
I think the pics should be submitted at anytime up until June 1st, but here is the catch...after june 1st no more submissions can be made and voting will begin on june 2nd and end on aug 1st. that should give plenty of time to compile pics and send to cafepress or whatever company chosen. I think participants should submit 2 pics per car, but once you submit those 2 pics, that's it. no edits, no additions or deletions. SOOOO, that allows the guys who do not drive their car in the winter a chance to get some decent pics with nice weather and the guys who drive their car in the winter to maybe get a snow background pic which could be used for the winter months

:werd: I like the winter pics idea for the winter months. 2ndgenguy sign me up I want a calender for sure dude.

guaynabo89
03-19-2009, 02:54 AM
I'd be down for one.

Steve and all the rest who are bad photographers. lol I fit in this category cause I do not have a steady hand at all.

Here is what you do.

Buy yourself the cheapest tripod you can find. (walmart usually has like 12 dollar ones)

Position the car where yu want (backdrop) and make sure the sun is behind your back

shoot preferably early morning or just before dusk

now here is the kicker and most imprtant step

USE THE SELF TIMER ON THE CAMERA.

Even with cheaper ponit n shoots that should come out to be a decent picture.

Oh and MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO FINGERPRINTS/SMUDGES ON THE LENS.

Rendon LX-i
03-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Good tip. Im so bad at talking pics

MessyHonda
03-20-2009, 12:27 AM
i just need to find time to take pics

2oodoor
03-20-2009, 05:37 AM
have to buy a 4983923048559 X 767585990 res camera, crap:sad2:

lostforawhile
03-20-2009, 02:40 PM
we need one good project picture we need to submit some ones of the best projects and have a vote

86ccord
03-20-2009, 06:58 PM
where do we post pictures at?, oh and can the pics be edited.. like darken, lightened, or back drop be different.. not like, put mods on your car but you get the idea..

AccordB20A
03-20-2009, 07:18 PM
someone better come take some good pics of my car because if i try ill end up with no camera left (i want to smash it every photo i take, makes me wanna cry too)

oldschool3g
03-20-2009, 07:31 PM
:thumbup: cant belive i missed this thread...love the idea of an official 3geez calendar.

frantik
03-20-2009, 07:36 PM
i submitted my pic

Catalyst
03-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Submitted. :)

Civic Accord Honda
03-22-2009, 11:19 PM
posted my work in progress

guaynabo89
06-11-2009, 06:37 PM
damn I like what I see for submissions so far.

Very nice work to all who submitted pictures. :)

tomatofiasco
07-07-2009, 08:35 PM
:cheers:

i am a 'professional photographer' in a mountainous wintry environment without salted roads :wave:

but

my accord isnt exactly show n shine, though i did finally fix the heater!
will detail in modzzz list!

also, my digital camera was flogged by some little dogs :violin:
i have a few film cameras though so im not out of the running yet!

anyway some input form my printing experiences:

4MP sounds about right for an a4-ish sized calendar in my inkjetting experience, but the final quality depends a lot on the printer and the paper, rather than the source resolution.

file formats might also be an issue, because most of us are storing and submitting JPEGS, which can have anything from quite clean compression to really nasty artifacts that look like pizza, depending on the camera, settings and individual scene elements. this is generally unnoticeable on the screen but hardcopy has more depth and dynamic range and thus less mercy, and once the images have been selected, it might be impossible to re-shoot for print.

so i advise photographers to remember this is going ultimately on paper and perhaps investigate what other settings your camera has for file formats, IE lossless like TIFF. big fancy cameras generally do 'RAW' now, but thats a bit different again and comes with its own problems for the poor guy [2ndgenguy?] who has to put it all together and proof it.

colour management is the final headache when it comes to printing, and basically means you dont get what you expected and saw on your monitor. you'd be surprised how bad and expensive the results can be and its easy to have some screw up that makes all your reds maroon, your blacks grey-blue and greens fluorescent. :huh:

i dunno whos handling this but if you're emailing the master file off and getting a box of calendars back, its a risk.

frantik
07-09-2009, 03:48 AM
maybe the jpeg artifacts will cover up some of the imperfections in the paint on most of our cars :kekeke:

2ndGenGuy
07-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah it's going to be a huge risk. The calendar pics will be uploaded to a website, and then they'll be getting mailed out from there. I suppose I could start with just 1 calendar and see how it comes out before we ship them out to everybody. But just trying to avoid making the calendars too expensive...

88LXi68
07-09-2009, 09:47 AM
I need to get going and find someone to take some hi res pics of my car

2ndGenGuy
07-09-2009, 09:47 AM

Yes you do!! :D Deadline is coming up! :thumbup:

markmdz89hatch
07-09-2009, 11:11 AM

you don't have a 4+ Mp camera?

88LXi68
07-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I do, but there is a HUGE difference from a casio 7mp camera and a real deal camera. PLUS...I do not have a photographer's eye.

markmdz89hatch
07-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I do, but there is a HUGE difference from a casio 7mp camera and a real deal camera. PLUS...I do not have a photographer's eye.

ok, i'll agree with you on the camera thing, but some of the pics you've taken of my car are sweet. ...maybe it's just the car that's the problem....

88LXi68
07-09-2009, 12:18 PM
ok, i'll agree with you on the camera thing, but some of the pics you've taken of my car are sweet. ...maybe it's just the car that's the problem....

:blah:

I can only think of 2 or 3 really good pics of your car. most of the time I have no concept of backgrounds and angles. I guess it is easy for you to talk since you do not have this problem. You only have 1 angle and 1 background...in a garage on jackstands from the front. :Owned2:

markmdz89hatch
07-09-2009, 12:25 PM
:blah:

I can only think of 2 or 3 really good pics of your car. most of the time I have no concept of backgrounds and angles. I guess it is easy for you to talk since you do not have this problem. You only have 1 angle and 1 background...in a garage on jackstands from the front. :Owned2:

:321: :madflip:

If you weren't so damn busy with the 9 million things you got going on, you could come to my house, work on the car, :beer:, work on the car some more, :beer:, ...you get the idea.

:dunno:

88LXi68
07-09-2009, 12:29 PM
:321: :madflip:

If you weren't so damn busy with the 9 million things you got going on, you could come to my house, work on the car, :beer:, work on the car some more, :beer:, ...you get the idea.

:dunno:

I sent you text Tuesday telling you I would be around Sunday for sure and maybe SaturDAY emphasis on the DAY! I have not heard of anything. You need to let me know soon before the gf wants to do couple like things on Sunday. haha

2ndGenGuy
07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Oh man I am feeling the sting from 3000 miles away...

ghettogeddy
07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
ill go out and take a pic of the hatch but its dirty lol

2ndGenGuy
07-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Well wash it then duh! ;)

ghettogeddy
07-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Well wash it then duh! ;)

no energy today
maybe tomorrow ya prolly tomorrow lol i took a pic but its shity so ill was it and maybe move it a bit

conozo
07-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Yeah it's going to be a huge risk. The calendar pics will be uploaded to a website, and then they'll be getting mailed out from there. I suppose I could start with just 1 calendar and see how it comes out before we ship them out to everybody. But just trying to avoid making the calendars too expensive...

maybe you can ask for a free sample. Its worth a try.

guaynabo89
07-09-2009, 04:56 PM
You only have 1 angle and 1 background...in a garage on jackstands from the front. :Owned2:

oooohhhhhh

Thems fighting words! lol

Whens the deadline for pictures? (im heavily drugged right now and searching is beyond my skills right now. :) )

88LXi68
07-09-2009, 06:18 PM
oooohhhhhh

Thems fighting words! lol

Whens the deadline for pictures? (im heavily drugged right now and searching is beyond my skills right now. :) )

July 31? We need to get some good ones at Import Alliance

guaynabo89
07-09-2009, 06:58 PM
you bringing your DLSR Steve? :)

88LXi68
07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
you bringing your DLSR Steve? :)

yea...buy my custom front crossmember and maybe lol

tomatofiasco
07-25-2009, 11:47 PM
i took some calendar pictures
they are on slide film
with 5 days to go
till race warz

need to find those spoon engines

88LXi68
07-28-2009, 10:28 AM
July 31? We need to get some good ones at Import Alliance

once I post all my pics we should both have enough to choose one for the calendar.

tomatofiasco
07-30-2009, 12:56 AM
okay, i got my films back BUT i have two pictures i want to post, and one is medium-format. can i submit two and you can vote for either and then the editor can decide which is most appropriate in conjunction with the other candidates, technical considerations...? they are somewhat similar so maybe i'll just post whichever looks best at low resolution and then switch the high resolution versions like a sneaky mexican?

EDIT:

this is my other choice besides the one i posted. its scanned from 60x90mm fuji velvia so its MUCH finer and smoother at full resolution.
i cant decide whether i like the gentle film grain on the old honda or the ruthless resolution of dents and snow flecks from the medium format. please advise :)

http://diversion.deadbored.net/img/rusty+snow_1000.jpg

either way, rePRAZENTing 1geez, would be nice to have snow for the winter months though :D

2ndGenGuy
07-31-2009, 03:28 PM
^^ Man I LOVE your pictures and your car! First time seeing it. I don't know what to tell you about switching up the pics. But considering how low our sumission count is, I'm thinking about extending the submission time by two weeks. In fact, that's what I think I'll do.

New deadline August 15th. GET SOME PICTURES IN PEOPLE!!!!

A18A
07-31-2009, 03:34 PM
YUSS!!! lol yay gives me plenty of time to fix mine up/take a new one

Hazwan
08-02-2009, 08:03 PM
YUSS!!! lol yay gives me plenty of time to fix mine up/take a new one

YEZ! remember mai pikshers ideaz? gogogo

A18A
08-28-2009, 01:51 PM
lol poos i have a better camera now but my car isnt in a show-off worthy state fail fail fail fail