PDA

View Full Version : talk me in to a 3geez

Mark lol
01-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Hey guys I'm new to the site. I currently own an '87 Corolla which I bought in poor shape in August for basic transportation to school and work. I have since saved up a few thousand dollars from my job and am looking to get a better car. I really want something with more power and a bit more 'clean' looking. I was originally hoping to get something newer but I came across this 89 LXi coupe in good condition and started researching. I am really impressed with how reliable these cars tend to be and how good of condition this particular car is in.

Here are the pics and info:

> Original owner 1989 Honda Accord LXi 2-door sedan. 160,000 miles.
10-disc
> CD changer, 5-speed. A/C compressor replaced last year. Interior
looks new.
> No rust, all accessories work fine

http://listbend.com/uploads/4c0c643436b61e13b731d9b4786d9b26.jpg

http://listbend.com/uploads/8ddd6a05e51d40bd42a546fb2d9da487.jpg

http://listbend.com/uploads/f1a2c321f08630a409f2097b4fd33752.jpg

This will be a large increase in power compared to the 70-80 hp in my automatic corolla. This model has 120hp right?

I am wondering if this car will be suitable for 4 people to ride in comfortably since I carpool to school. Also I plan on improving it's performance if I purchase it and wanted to know what some good mod's would be to begin with.

The seller should be getting it inspected this weekend and I am going to test drive it on Monday. He if asking for $1800 but I will probably try to haggle for less. Let me know if this looks like a good deal and if I should ask for less. I've read that it's rare to find this type of car in such good condition. He is the original owner and it has been garage-kept.

Should I go for it?

cubert
01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
That car is pretty friggin clean...

The Accord will definitely be quicker than the corolla...as long as you arent looking for ferrari like power out of it you should be more than satisfied :lol:

My Accord would fit four people in no problem...so you should be all set there. As far as the price goes, see what kbb and nada lists the value as and go from there.

2oodoor
01-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes, nice find too

88LXi68
01-16-2009, 11:09 AM
that is effin clean!! has a factory spoiler, center armrest and looks like cupholders...worth it right there

evil88accordLX
01-16-2009, 11:30 AM
you probably wont find another one that clean in maryland. or with less than 200,000 miles. the reliability of these cars is awesome as long as you care for it, and if the owner bothered to put the time in to keep the interior/exterior kept up, chances are they probably kept up with the mechanicals too. make sure to ask when the last time the timing belt was changed, and check all the fliuds and such to make sure there isnt any contamination or low levels. all in all, if you do buy this car it will keep you motoring for many years to come.

bank2me
01-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Nice car man I would drive it. See what he will go down to and btw I beleive the LX-i's came with 130 hp.

Rendon LX-i
01-16-2009, 12:53 PM
OH i would take that 3gee over a corrola anyday. thats so clean.

markmdz89hatch
01-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Yep, 120hp (when it was new) on the 88-89 LX-i's.

Very clean example of a great coupe right there. Like Steve said, you get a lot of the options on that, which are not very common. (Armrest, cupholders, FACTORY FOGS & switch, and factory spoiler). This guy loaded the snot out of that car when he bought it. The ONLY other options he could have gotten was dealer installed leather upgrade, and a CD player). Very nice.

I can promise you you'll love the feel of driving a much bigger car then that Corolla. Much more comfortable, 4-wheel independent suspension, little more power (but it is heavier, so don't expect much there), and more reliable. It's a very comfortable car for 4 people too.

Jump on this deal and join us 3G nut-jobs on this board for years of great 3G motoring.

Welcome to the board BTW.

A18A
01-16-2009, 01:19 PM
the only regret you will have is not getting one sooner :)

markmdz89hatch
01-16-2009, 01:23 PM
the only regret you will have is not getting one sooner :)

Perfectly said my friend.

Mark, for what it's worth: I have an '02 Protege ES stick, fully loaded, and offered up a challenge for someone to find me an 88 or 89 LX-i Coupe or Hatch with 5-speed, and less than 100K with little to no rust, and I would do an even trade with them. Yes, you read that right. I would GLADLY trade my 7 yr old car in very good shape, for a 20-21 yr. old car in good shape. The offer still stands to anyone who is willing.

Mark lol
01-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. This is making the decision much easier. I am definitely switching out the corolla that's for sure. It isn't in very good condition (lots of rips/rust in the interior) and was just looking for cheap transportation at the time as I am still in high school. It is also very slow and I miss the feel of a manual trans. I am glad to hear that this has the cup holders, I didn't notice them in the pic :bow:. Hopefully this coupe will help with the ladies as well.

Does anyone know if it comes standard with power locks? I've read different things.

Mark lol
01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
I checked the kbb prices and its around $1400 for good condition and $1700 for excellent. I will probably try and haggle for around $1500-1600 but it's nice to know he has it loaded with options.

codyJDM
01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
The coupes and hatchbacks do not have power locks, they have support beams in the doors that don't allow clearance for the mechanisms. Only the sedans have them.

Definitely jump on that car, it looks like it is loaded with the things a lot of us on here had to search far and wide to find. :thumbup:

Oh and it could look like this if that makes it more desirable to purchase ;):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3316/3183083891_c8fcdd24a5.jpg?v=0

/endthreadjack lol.

Mark lol
01-16-2009, 06:21 PM
looks cool :cool:

I would definitely tint the windows and maybe get some new rims. I am not that excited about the color but I'll probably get used to it.

2ndGenGuy
01-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Dude that is a hot coupe! Buy it, it's wicked nice!!!! Exactly the one I would buy... Check that interior!

Demon1024
01-17-2009, 12:05 AM
lol at 2 door sedan
k
1.easy to work on
2.cheap parts (minus the dizzy)
3.great handling
4.reliable
it might be worth that much,but i'd check it over real good to see if you can haggle for less. Rust spots,cv axles,chipped/cracked windshield, shifts smooth, idles right. you know any thing you can point out you see wrong with it before you offer a price.

LxAcc510
01-17-2009, 01:50 AM
You'll get all the girls in a 3gee. Get it.

ghettogeddy
01-17-2009, 02:06 AM
Perfectly said my friend.

Mark, for what it's worth: I have an '02 Protege ES stick, fully loaded, and offered up a challenge for someone to find me an 88 or 89 LX-i Coupe or Hatch with 5-speed, and less than 100K with little to no rust, and I would do an even trade with them. Yes, you read that right. I would GLADLY trade my 7 yr old car in very good shape, for a 20-21 yr. old car in good shape. The offer still stands to anyone who is willing.

hmmm pics of said protege

im i lil over 100k
but the rims and upgrades fully make up for it lol

i dont want to get rid of it but with these mounts coming in im gona need a reliable car soon i can always score another hatch in the bay
theres one down the street just sitting on jackstands been there about 3 months now
perfect for a b swap lol

TWOLOUDNPROUD
01-17-2009, 03:32 AM
hmmm pics of said protege

im i lil over 100k
but the rims and upgrades fully make up for it lol

i dont want to get rid of it but with these mounts coming in im gona need a reliable car soon i can always score another hatch in the bay
theres one down the street just sitting on jackstands been there about 3 months now
perfect for a b swap lol

i am looking for another hatch too for my son he going to be 16 next year so me and the wife want to give it to him for his B-day with a B16 or B18c in it :rice:

2oodoor
01-17-2009, 04:03 AM
lucky kid, you stole my idea.. lol

I would drive to maryland to get that one, give him a deposit for me if you dont want it..sigh

markmdz89hatch
01-17-2009, 06:34 AM
lucky kid, you stole my idea.. lol

I would drive to maryland to get that one, give him a deposit for me if you dont want it..sigh

holy shyt, i didn't realize it was only in Maryland. That's not all that far from me. ....hmm..... should I offer that dude a trade?

Seriously though, i would highly suggest it. A kbb price is not the easiest thing to go by when you start talking about a car of this age and following. These 3G's are either worth nothing because some see it as just a shitty 20-something year old car, or some recognize that it is one of (if not the) most reliable Honda's ever produced. That's thanks to the A20A that's under the hood, among other things.

As an example (not comparing a 3G directly to this tho), I sold my 300Z for well over kbb value, and the buyer was very willing to buy it at my asking price because it was a very desireable mileage/color/option set/year.

Dr_Snooz
01-17-2009, 06:36 AM
You shouldn't buy it.

...How do I get in touch with the seller?

Dr_Snooz
01-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Oh and for that car, $1,800 is a deal.

markmdz89hatch
01-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Oh and for that car, $1,800 is a deal.

Agreed. In a case where you're a young kid trying to buy a car from a guy who's owned it since new, and has clearly (as is evident by this car's condition) taken very good care of it, you'll just end up pissing him off if you try to haggle about anything. If you like the car, and think it's worth 1800, then just pay the man. If you'd like to try and get it for 1500, then offer 1500, but don't insult the guy by pointing out flaws that you may notice, as I'm sure he's already well aware.

Just do yourself a favor and ensure the timing belt and water pump were done at some point, and and if he's already replaced the upper rear control arms as they are usually the first of all suspension joints to go. Ask questions as though you're interested in the car itself, and in buying it, not just for the sake of interrogating the guy. My guess is that if the guy sees that you show interest in the car itself, and he's confident that you'll continue to take good care of it, and not looking at it as just another cheap heap to beat around in for a few years before it ends up in the junk yard, if you offer a few hundred less for it, that'll be your best chance of getting any price break.

Other than that, just buy it, because at the end of the day, that difference of a few hundred dollars should never be a deal breaker.

Good luck, and if you end up not buying it for any reason, please please please tell the guy about this site, and let us know that it's still available.

Hauntd ca3
01-17-2009, 03:02 PM
@ 1800 its wel worth it eh
its well tidy
fairly low mileage and a manual
i'd just make sure that its had a timing belt and waterpump recently since its prob just bout due for a t belt at 160 k miles.
like the nike ad, just do it!

Mark lol
01-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Agreed. In a case where you're a young kid trying to buy a car from a guy who's owned it since new, and has clearly (as is evident by this car's condition) taken very good care of it, you'll just end up pissing him off if you try to haggle about anything. If you like the car, and think it's worth 1800, then just pay the man. If you'd like to try and get it for 1500, then offer 1500, but don't insult the guy by pointing out flaws that you may notice, as I'm sure he's already well aware.

Just do yourself a favor and ensure the timing belt and water pump were done at some point, and and if he's already replaced the upper rear control arms as they are usually the first of all suspension joints to go. Ask questions as though you're interested in the car itself, and in buying it, not just for the sake of interrogating the guy. My guess is that if the guy sees that you show interest in the car itself, and he's confident that you'll continue to take good care of it, and not looking at it as just another cheap heap to beat around in for a few years before it ends up in the junk yard, if you offer a few hundred less for it, that'll be your best chance of getting any price break.

Other than that, just buy it, because at the end of the day, that difference of a few hundred dollars should never be a deal breaker.

Good luck, and if you end up not buying it for any reason, please please please tell the guy about this site, and let us know that it's still available.

Great advice. Thanks. The seller actually works at the same business as my mom which is how I found out about it, so he will probably sell it to us a little lower then the listing price. But if not I'll definitely still take it for the $1800.

I'll keep you updated. Still planning on test driving it this Monday. If I like it then I will probably make the deal sometime that week.

2oodoor
01-17-2009, 05:46 PM
I disagree with your used car purchasing technique Mark. You have to have a bit of insight to read the seller's situation. It is not neccessarily taking advantage of them to haggle them down from asking price. You really do not know what you are buying sometimes, and there could be things wrong that they dont even know. I would say to note one or two of the biggest faults to the seller, only once insert it in conversation with eye contact Only carry with you what you really want to pay for the car. Things like batterys, clutches, big fluid leaks, and empty gas tank are the best, since you will need to address those as soon as you drive off in it. Glass is a big one to keep in mind too.
Some people expect to be haggled down, which is why you get these wierd numbers sometimes, I know I do it. If I say 1800 and it is a hassle to keep showing the car and what ever, hell yes I will take 1500, maybe less, depends on the situation. Every once in a while you run into a hard seller who seems not to budge, those are best left sitting there unless it is something you really talked yourself into.. lol If I detect they are getting insulted, shit, just keep a respectful attitude as long as they do, that is the point where you know if they are going to move or not. Reality check, if they are insulted too easily, hell you are just getting the car at a better price and you will likely never see them again anyway once you wind up buying it at your price, Again, depends on the situation which the buyer must quickly and covertly evaluate.
With that Accord, just figure about 1500 you will need to do the things they all need, even a 2005 model would need. Suspension bushings, struts, brake parts, hoses, belts, combustion chamber cleaning, emmisions parts, interior reconditioning, radiator, battery terminals/cables, speakers..think about that and add it to the sellers price, is that what you wanted to spend....and can you do the work yourself, have the time, or add labor to that figure as well. Average $90 dollars an hour shop rates. Replacing a belt, about half hour labor on the books all said and done it cost you 80 bucks to replace a belt unless you do it yourself and buy the part.. then it is $12. Big difference ehh?

86ccord
01-17-2009, 06:10 PM
wow.. that thing is ballin' hella tight!

AccordB20A
01-17-2009, 06:15 PM
definately a clean car. shows they are worth more over in the USA. over here you wouldnt get more than $1500NZD fora MINT one and thats only $824USD

Demon1024
01-17-2009, 11:07 PM
well i wasn't really saying, you know, to take a pad and start marking it all down just make sure he notices that you notice things on it. like say "looks like that axle might be going south soon" or something like "that musta been a hefty rock" ( to a windsheild ding). you might even bring up a story about the car with an instance, and form a little more freindly atmosphere with the seller. of course, like was said, it could go the other way. it all depends on the person your dealing with and the attitude you put off. Just don't be super excited (outwardly). Nonchalant and friendly the way to go. Good Luck!

o
p.s.
i've never even seen one priced that high. never seen one with those options for sale either tho
86+87=$250 on no motor one no tranny
88=$450 bad cv axles
89=$300 terrible paint and front end wreck.
Now that i write it down it looks like i only buy parts cars huh? :)lol:)

2oodoor
01-18-2009, 06:08 AM
:lol::lol::lol:
that was great Demon1024 , like "hmm, this wassle nut must not have ever been changed" walks around the car.."DAYUM look at the size of tha... what the hell happened to that.." oh my god.. that pintermmattzle needs cleaning BAD"

:deal::naughty:

MessyHonda
01-18-2009, 09:27 AM
if i found a coupe in that good of shape....i would buy it and just store it till i had time to modify it...clean car tho.

snoopyloopy
01-18-2009, 02:22 PM
buybuybuy. and at that price. that is all i have to say on that. especially considering your locale and the fact that it's rust-free. and that it has fogs and cd player and is damn clean.

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2009, 03:16 PM
well i wasn't really saying, you know, to take a pad and start marking it all down just make sure he notices that you notice things on it. like say "looks like that axle might be going south soon" or something like "that musta been a hefty rock" ( to a windsheild ding). you might even bring up a story about the car with an instance, and form a little more freindly atmosphere with the seller. of course, like was said, it could go the other way. it all depends on the person your dealing with and the attitude you put off. Just don't be super excited (outwardly). Nonchalant and friendly the way to go.

I worked for a car dealership in high school. One of their salesmen training videos said that when evaluating a trade in, you should walk around the car, run your hand across flaws but not say anything.

frantik
01-21-2009, 02:32 AM
that is the best color 3gee..best exterior and interior color scheme. get it, u'll love it

snoopyloopy
01-21-2009, 01:53 PM
you'll have to excuse frantik, he's a tad biased. :kekeke: nh-503p (aka black) is the best color on a 3g. especially sedans.