PDA

View Full Version : Weber 38/38?

mephi
01-17-2009, 03:55 PM
So I was at my brother's house and I found a carb sitting on a shelf in the garage collecting dust.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/luke_kl/01-17-09_1512.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/luke_kl/01-17-09_1511.jpg

The picture is fuzzy, but it says 38 DGAS. It looks like it has an electric choke too. The carb came off of a 75 Toyota Land cruiser that my brother is rebuilding.

Now, besides a rebuild, new jets, and an adapter, what would I need to mount this thing on my 87?

2ndGenGuy
01-17-2009, 04:43 PM
All you need now is an adapter plate and some throttle linkage. You'll love the 38.

2oodoor
01-17-2009, 05:22 PM
oh saa weet ! keep looking around there, if that turned up no telling what else you may find gathering dust. Say goodbye to the vacuum thermo-loser gadgets.. lol

things that came off and chunked
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1212264091.jpg
cleaner and life is much simpler, even more can go than in this picture but it takes a bit more effort. This was done in about two afternoons and included a good scrub down of the whole engine compartment and about four hours of contorting to access the manifold nuts, having a good goosneck 12 mm could have sped that up some.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/1212441062.jpg

cygnus x-1
01-18-2009, 10:55 AM
DGAS means it was originally a hot water choke, but the parts are interchangeable so it may have been converted to electric. Electric would be easier.
Get that thing cleaned up and rejetted and enjoy some much improved throttle response; and freedom from vacuum controlled crap.

C|

2oodoor
01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
wow cygnus, dejasvous :lol: DGAS huh.. whatz dis wire for..

2ndGenGuy
01-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Interesting roo, your 38 doesn't have an accelerator pump on the front side barrel. Mine (DGMS, manual choke) has a vacuum-operated accelerator pump on the opposite side where yours looks like it has a casting for it. That was the damn thing giving me all the problems. I unhooked the vacuum line from mine and it quit surging...

Sorry to threadjack, just saw the pic and thought it was interesting.

mephi
01-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Ya, it definitely has been converted to electric choke. That is pretty nice. Do I just hook it up to a fused 12V source? These carburetor things still baffle me. It wasn't until a month ago that I figured out what a float bowl was. I have never owned or worked on a carbureted vehicle at this level. Now I just have to wait for my tax return for the rebuild. Stupid Goodyear.

2oodoor
01-19-2009, 05:41 AM
those are the simplest carbs to work on, the hardest part will be properly cleaning it. The second hardest part of the assembly is working with the float,and that is not hard as it is just delicate to work with. If you are planning on paying someone to build it, be carefull because most shops do not have anyone who really knows about carburators nor do they like working with used ones. It is about turning a buck and beating the clock doing it for them. It takes a TLC touch with a bit of entheusiasm when working with old school, I have a lot of time in my carbed stuff, but it is not hard at all... reflecting on that it would have cost a fortune to pay somebody to do it at shop rate. When I say lot of time, that entails every aspect of installing it, which I think I said two afternoons 10 hours or so, which would be like 800 dollars shop rate.:uh:

2ndGG, I meant to address that in your thread, but never got back to it. I had seen auxilary pumps on the 32/36 style before. Maybe that one was menat to have vacuum only from a certain source and work simialr to vacuum secondaries, like under regular drivng it would never come into play but when an exceptional load was put on the engine it would push a little primer gas in to compensate for the lean tip in just at that moment. I could see that being handy on a car with a low and close gear ratio and something much more than a stock A20 head.

2ndGenGuy
01-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Ya, it definitely has been converted to electric choke. That is pretty nice. Do I just hook it up to a fused 12V source? These carburetor things still baffle me. It wasn't until a month ago that I figured out what a float bowl was. I have never owned or worked on a carbureted vehicle at this level. Now I just have to wait for my tax return for the rebuild. Stupid Goodyear.

There should be a plug that has a 12v source for the electric choke that went to the stock carb. You can make a short wire that with a female spade connector at one end, and a male spade connector at the other end and just plug into the factory plug. And go to the carb.

Or you can use any 12v source really. Just make sure it shuts off when you turn off the ignition.

Fixedit
08-08-2022, 07:11 AM
I know I’m digging up through the depths here but what were your final jetting settings?
I’ve got one of these on an A20 with a 272 cam and I’m having a helluva ride trying to dial it in.