PDA

View Full Version : temp gauge doesn't seem to work correctly

trickytiger
01-18-2009, 04:57 AM
for some reason my temp gauge isn't working correctly, if i'm driving along at 50 km/h+ it seems to be on cold or below and occasionally moves a tiny bit past cold.

If i slow down or stop and idle for a little while the temp gauge will rise up to halfway.

2oodoor
01-18-2009, 05:20 AM
check:
coolant level, and replace the thremostat

A18A
01-18-2009, 05:20 AM
might just be the temperature down there?

^^oh yeah and replace the thermostat^^

trickytiger
01-18-2009, 05:35 AM
coolant level is fine and have been thinking about replacing the thermostat, just got to find a guide on how to replace it on a b18a

2oodoor
01-18-2009, 05:49 AM
it should be decently easy as long as the bolts are not corroded or break off.
OD (A18A)?? is the B18a same as the B20, two bolts and a third bolt to remove something out of the way?

A18A
01-18-2009, 05:55 AM
should be the same, can't 100% confirm that as i dont own a b18a :P

Hauntd ca3
01-18-2009, 03:29 PM
would say thermostat
and it is the same as the b20a to do
and yay another k1w1:D
where you at?

trickytiger
01-18-2009, 03:37 PM
ok, i found a workshop manual for the b20a so will look at that and see if i can replace the thermostat following that

and i'm in Temuka in the South Island

2oodoor
01-18-2009, 06:22 PM
ok, i found a workshop manual for the b20a so will look at that and see if i can replace the thermostat following that

and i'm in Temuka in the South Island

YOU WHAT ????
please do tell where I can get one of those !!

Hauntd ca3
01-18-2009, 08:55 PM
YOU WHAT ????
please do tell where I can get one of those !!

do you not have the pdf workshop manual files doo?
cant remember where i got them but i do.
and temuka is close enuff for the odd day trip once i have mine finished.
and if stevesi was still hangin round, he's in chch.

trickytiger
01-18-2009, 08:57 PM
you can download the workshop manual from here: http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/?s=free+honda+accord+service+manual

I can also do the odd trip anywhere in the SI ;)

Hauntd ca3
01-18-2009, 09:29 PM
but back to subject
i had a similar prob in my si a while back.
it would run cool when cruising,heat up properly when goin up hills on the open road and cool down again coasting down hills.
turns out the thermostat was stuck open so it wasnt working right.
new thermostat and she was sweet as eh .
oh yeah, i'm in invervegas if your ever down this way

trickytiger
01-18-2009, 10:11 PM
ok, i'll find out who sells the thermostat and put it in.

Also me and a mate are organising a trip down to intervegas hopefully in a couple weeks time

Hauntd ca3
01-18-2009, 10:26 PM
i just got one at supercheap eh.
tridon is the standard replacement brand in most shops.
just make sure you put the rubber ring back round the thermostat if it has one which it prob will.
otherwise the thermostat wont sit right and water will run round it giving similar symptoms to what you have now.
and make sure you bleed the air outta the system after you've done the thermo or you will end up getting hot spots in the head and it'll die a horrible death.
let me know when you plan on getting here and will arrange to meet up

87DXACCORD
01-22-2009, 11:12 AM
yeah my 87 has been doing the same thing is the a common thing in 3rd gens? it cools down when i start driving and warms when i stop. it's weird how a thermostat can cause it to do that.

turabaka
01-22-2009, 11:30 AM
yeah my 87 has been doing the same thing is the a common thing in 3rd gens? it cools down when i start driving and warms when i stop. it's weird how a thermostat can cause it to do that.

not really. It's because the thermostat is stuck open causing the coolant to constantly circulate. So when you're driving it's being cooled off all the time by the radiator instead of just when the fans kick on and the thermostat opens. When you stop at a red light cold air stops running through the rad letting the coolant heat back up. thermostats are one of the most common parts I sell at work for problems like this.

trickytiger
01-23-2009, 11:46 PM
ok, for some reason my temp gauge is working properly again, don't know if it's because the last few days have been hot or if it's fixed itself....

Hauntd ca3
01-24-2009, 01:54 AM
you might be lucky if there was an air bubble that its worked its way out to the rad but i'd still be keeping an eye on it

trickytiger
01-25-2009, 05:00 AM
ok, went to chch yesterday and the temp gauge worked properly on the way there, but on the way back the temp gauge dropped below cold again... so will be getting a replacement thermostat next week when i can afford it

A18A
01-25-2009, 05:06 AM
well o nthe bright side, better running too cold than too hot. i think

trickytiger
02-05-2009, 03:19 AM
ok, finally got a new thermostat and gasket today from supercheap auto and took the old one out (it wasn't working properly becos the middle pole on it was bent so it was obviously staying open) since i put the new one in the temp gauge has been staying just under half :)

just one slight problem though, got a slight leak coming from the bottom of the thermostat housing... a mate of mine said to get some red glue type stuff from supercheap auto to put around it to stop the leak, just can't remember what it was called he reckoned it was about $20

Hauntd ca3
02-05-2009, 10:47 AM
there is a red rtv sealant which is just a high temp silicon.
i use the grey silicon sealant cause its the same as what most manufacturers use in the factory
is a bit more expensive but its good and you only need a thin smear of the stuff.
you can get it at supercheap

3rd Party
02-05-2009, 11:32 AM
i've got the same problem, but with the A20 motor. so, seeing that you had thermostat problems, i'll try replacing mine as well and see what happens. 'cause i'm getting tired of the idle hanging around 1200-1500 because the IACV is still being told the car's cold...:sad2:

russiankid
02-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Did you torque the bolts correctly?

trickytiger
02-05-2009, 01:31 PM
yep bolts were torqued correctly, will get some sealant this weekend

russiankid
02-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Sealant isn't really the correct way to fix the issue. Are you sure its the housing and not the hose? If its the housing, seems like you either installed the gasket incorrectly or the surface was dirty.

trickytiger
02-08-2009, 10:50 PM
ok have fixed the leak, turned out when we put the housing back on we put this otherthing that uses the bottom bolt inside the housing causing it not to seal up properly, so moved it to the outside and now no leaks :)

3rd Party
02-09-2009, 10:10 PM
i'm actually not in a big hurry to fix it either...'cause really, it is true that it's better to run cold than hot...if you're willing to deal with high idle.